South Shore Readers discussion

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
This topic is about Killers of the Flower Moon
Book Club > Discussion: Killer of the Flower Moon

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Apr 29, 2018 05:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 1110 comments Mod
Our May book is the non-fiction book Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann. We will be meeting in Plymouth for our in-person meeting, but feel free to post here to discuss as well.

Here's the meeting info: https://www.goodreads.com/event/show/...

Also, since this is currently the last book we've already selected, we will be picking our next book(s) at this meeting as well, so feel free to head over to our book suggestions thread to add your ideas.

Eric Li | 45 comments I'm halfway through the audio discs for this one.
The first half of the book was dictated by a female voice, calm and smooth, you can almost hear the "Serial" podcast music playing in your head.
Then, at the point where the FBI agent got involved, out of nowhere, the voice switched to a male with a bit of Texas (I guess?) accent. You will feel like instantly being transported into a cop show. Which is consistent with the story and a pleasant surprise (My first thought was 'somebody recorded another show on this cassette?')

Joanie | 492 comments Mod
Eric wrote: "I'm halfway through the audio discs for this one.
The first half of the book was dictated by a female voice, calm and smooth, you can almost hear the "Serial" podcast music playing in your head.
T..."

Sounds cool if a little jarring at first!

Eric Li | 45 comments Yeah, I was driving 🤦🏻‍♂️

I got my text message from the library. My hold for this is in so I will be picking it up today and will hopefully start reading it sometime this week.

Alright, I am about a third of the way through the book. Just started part II when they start talking about Hoover and the FBI and the assigned FBI agent. So far, it is keeping me interested. I have to admit the descriptions of investigations before formal police departments and the FBI have me a little anxious (my inner control freak can't handle the lack of organization and standards!!)

Denise (ribeachgirl) | 127 comments HA! I thought the same thing. An era when justice really depended on how much money you had to apparently hire private detectives to do the job of the police. And then you had to hope you weren't outbid by the criminals!

I finished the book and I look forward to discussing it today.

My sitter called in sick today and my back-up sitter is working her part time job today so (womp womp womp), I will have 2 young gentlemen with me. I will make sure they have stuff to keep themselves entertained.