Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Fate's Edge (The Edge, #3)
This topic is about Fate's Edge
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Fate's Edge [July 4, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
July 4th.

Narilka | 3366 comments I'm in.

Narilka | 3366 comments I started last night and read the Prologue. That was sad. I feel bad for Audrey.

I like how we get to see a different area of the Edge with each book.

message 4: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 18021 comments Mod
Yea... I wish they'd written more of these... but I think they felt they'd covered everything they could and/or it's locked up in publisher rights...

message 5: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Narilka wrote: "I started last night and read the Prologue. That was sad. I feel bad for Audrey.

I like how we get to see a different area of the Edge with each book."

To expand on this, that's one of my favorite aspects, as well... I feel like there's so much more that could have been explored, given time... this series focused on 2 Edges, the Broken US, and the Weird US... there's 5-6 other continents out there...

As I approached the end, I started to wonder if I'd mixed up the events of this book with the last one, and NOPE... it all happened right towards the end...

I like how Jack/George/(and the L-name girl) are connective tissue between all 4 books, as well...

Narilka | 3366 comments Yeah, that's cool too. That the kids tie the series together. You never know. Maybe they'll go back and write more in the Edge some day. They had said they were done with Hidden Legacy and now we're getting three more books and a novella :)

Chapter 4 (view spoiler)

message 7: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Narilka wrote: "Yeah, that's cool too. That the kids tie the series together. You never know. Maybe they'll go back and write more in the Edge some day. They had said they were done with Hidden Legacy and now we'r..."

But they always said they wanted to do more Hidden Legacy... they just needed to wait and see what the publishers said, before deciding to go the self-pub route if they needed to...

message 8: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Narilka wrote: "Yeah, that's cool too. That the kids tie the series together. You never know. Maybe they'll go back and write more in the Edge some day. They had said they were done with Hidden Legacy and now we'r..."

Chapter 4: (view spoiler)

Narilka | 3366 comments Having so much fun now!!

Chapter 10: (view spoiler)

Narilka | 3366 comments Iain wrote: "But they always said they wanted to do more Hidden Legacy... they just needed to wait and see what the publishers said, before deciding to go the self-pub route if they needed to..."

I did a little searching and found a QA on their GR's author page where it sounds like they had a disagreement with the publisher of the Edge :( That's too bad. Maybe some day they'll work out a deal or the contract with the rights will expire and they'll be free to write another Edge novel as inspiration strikes. We can always hope. Or maybe they'll just keep making cross series character appearances in Innkeeper.

So Iain, what other authors would you recommend for once I've caught up on Ilona Andrews? Harry Dresden and Iron Druid Chronicles are good UF but not in the same ball park.

message 11: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm a big fan of Seanan McGuire:

Rosemary and Rue
Discount Armageddon
Down Among the Sticks and Bones

and Anne Bishop:

Written in Red moreso than Daughter of the Blood...

Have you read Patricia Briggs?

Moon Called & Cry Wolf are connected series...

For a male author, I like Benedict Jacka's Fated series...

Narilka | 3366 comments I have Moon Called and Written in Red in my TBR. I'll move those ones up in my rotation, likely for Q4. I've read Ann Bishop before, loved the Black Jewels, but never Patricia Briggs. I need to put Seanan McGuire and Benedict Jacka in my wish list.

message 13: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

October Daye takes 2-3 books to get good (and build a group of friends to rely on)

Narilka | 3366 comments Chapter 13: (view spoiler)

Narilka | 3366 comments I finished last night. That was satisfying! (view spoiler)

message 16: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Only short story they've written was about George and Jack's schooling, 2.5 years ago... this was news to me, and is hopefully a sign they might write more in the future?

http://www.ilona-andrews.com/george-a...

The final story is about Richard Mar and a noble in self-induced exile in the Weird...

Narilka | 3366 comments Ooo! Thanks for the link :) I'll read it this weekend. And I agree, it seems like a good sign.

I have Steel's Edge ready to go for next month. About six months back I got so lucky and picked up all of the Edge in one shot at a used book store.