Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Sunday Conversation Topic 4/29

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Titles, it's how we identify a story. The title is normally the second thing we notice about a book after the cover or the author if the spine is out.

There are many types of titles. The one word, the plot description, the identity of the main character. Then you have the misleading or abstract titles. Some titles seem to have nothing to do with the book.

Before reading, do you ponder the title and its significance before starting the story? Do you look for connections to the title while reading?

Do you have a favorite title? A least favorite? Are titles important to you? If a book was written about your life, what eoukd want the title to be?

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) A good title is both evocative or provocative and can be connected to the book. The Golden Apples of the Sun fits the first, but not both. Everybody Lies: Big Data, New Data, and What the Internet Can Tell Us About Who We Really Are is a good title (and a good book, imo).

Titles are very important.

Boring ones, that are just the name of the main character for example, dissuade me from reading the blurb & checking the reviews and deciding to read the book. For example, there's a book that is highly praised in discussions about 'favorite books from childhood.' It goes by either Charley or The Girl Who Ran Away, which imo are both dumb & uninteresting titles.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9352 comments I think what’s interesting about this question for me, has to do with writing. I never feel like I can actually start an essay or one of my presentations until I find that catchy title that sums it up. Once I know the title, I’m able to start writing. So to me a title is encapsulation have something incredibly important. I just wrote in my review of the stolen marriage, that I didn’t understand how the title related. In fact it still doesn’t make sense to me at all. Earlier today, a few of us were talking about the marriage of opposites by Alice Hoffman. A book I adored, and will be in my top 10 for life. But do I know how the heck it relates to the story? I never figured that out. But her other book, the dovekeepers, brilliant title for a brilliant book.

I think a title can tell you if a book is cheesy, or if it’s more high brow. Like if you really have to think about it. Four instance, the ministry of unmet happiness. This title tells you a lot about what’s going to be inside this book. While something like the darkling bride does the same. I think our book is titled does catch a readers Eye as does the cover. Right now I’m reading little fires everywhere, and when I get the next chance to see that thread I’m going to say a little something about it. But I have to admit that’s a title that feels misleading or could be anything. But in the first chapter of the book, it’s significance is explained. Let me just give a preview by saying that’s the best thing I’ve liked about the book so far. Where is that little simple metaphoric and literal preview. Those are my examples for now, but hopefully that answer some of what you’re looking for in the question. Here’s a fun catchy title for one of my talks, I talk on couples counseling: Pillow Fight or Pillow Talk? My last essay? Choosing Joy. Great topic Jason!

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Amy wrote: "I think what’s interesting about this question for me, has to do with writing. I never feel like I can actually start an essay or one of my presentations until I find that catchy title that sums it..."

Your review of Marriage of Opposites and the title of Little Fires Everywhere lead to this question.

I like your two titles. In regard to you last essay, I did choose Joy. haha (for others reading this, my wife's name is Joy)

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments I have never been all that interested in titles until the last several months but Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values really made me question titles because Zen and motorcycle maintenance is symbolic for two different world view.

I do not have a favorite title, but I like ones that leave you with a question. Titles where the meaning could go any way or titles that are symbolic. I am not keen on (Character name) and (what the book is about) Example, Harry Potter series titles.

I do think titles attract or detract. I think we can all attest to this with May's decathlon challenge.

I also find it interesting when an author has a formula for their titles. Grisham comes to mind first. The (followed the center piece of the story)

A book written about my life.....I have to say I would want the title to be: Growing

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9352 comments I smiled for you when I was writing Choose Joy. Glad I’ve helped you with a few of these send a conversation topics, although it sounds like this one was inadvertent. Although it also seems like you have this one in mind from before my review if I’m not incorrect. I wonder what the title of my life autobiography would be? It wouldn’t be little fires everywhere. Now that I think about it I think I know but I wouldn’t post it publicly.

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Amy wrote: "I smiled for you when I was writing Choose Joy. Glad I’ve helped you with a few of these send a conversation topics, although it sounds like this one was inadvertent. Although it also seems like yo..."

I was thinking about titles for a bit personally, but you mentioning it in your review made me say, "hey I wonder what other think of titles."

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8426 comments I agree with Amy, how a title can signify "cheesy"-if the title seems that way to me, I look at the cover art, if that turns me off the book is doomed for me.

A book written about my life: Life On Pause

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments I don't think I've ever pondered a title before reading a book but I always try to figure out the meaning of the title as I'm reading. And I love that light bulb moment when it becomes clear.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9352 comments Dare I wonder why your life is paused? I’d like to think there’s still a current....

message 11: by Nicole R (last edited Apr 30, 2018 07:36AM) (new)

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9352 comments Last year I read a non-fiction book that I chose just for the great title! City of Poison, City of Light: Murder, Mayhem, and the first police chief of Paris. Who could resist a title like that. I confess I didn’t know it was on-fiction until I started the first page. Sometimes a title draws you in - or pushes you away.

message 13: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8426 comments Amy wrote: "Dare I wonder why your life is paused? I’d like to think there’s still a current...."

Have had 2 back surgeries in the last 4 years-I am learning how to live a different way so I like to think that I am just on pause right now and eventually the quality of everyday living will get better. It helps the attitude :)

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9352 comments Joanne - you are strengthening every day and getting stronger. You are already in your way back, and are enjoying the slow glide towards health and wellness. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, Amy

message 15: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Nicole R wrote: "I don't really pay too much attention to the title before I read a book; however, while reading or when finished, I do appreciate ones that tie into the story in a clever way!

I do appreciate a go..."

They are funny! especially the first one

message 16: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments I love poetic (pretentious? :-)) or biblical titles.
It doesn't necessary mean I will read the book, but it means it will be at the corner of my eye through life, and every once in a while I'll consider reading it. (and once I read it I will really want to love it)

Names that intrigue me (some books I've read some not yet) The Day Lasts More Than a Hundred Years (the title in translation to hebrew sounds more poetic), or The Way of All Flesh, One Hundred Years of Solitude, The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, Too Loud a Solitude etc etc

a good title can add another layer to the depth of a (good) book

message 17: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Thanks Jason. You have written a thought-provoking question. Titles are only a small part of what I use to determine if I will read a book. Book blurbs, others' impressions, familiarity of writer, GR reccomendations, recommendations of website where I buy books. Titles do give me a clue--but play only one part in a multi-layered decision.

message 18: by Cynda (last edited Apr 30, 2018 08:24PM) (new)

Cynda  (cynda) If a book would be written about my life, the working title would be -Breathe In Deeply, and Breathe Out Completely.
I was one gasp of breathe away from death in 2012. Multi-organ failure. When I was swimming back to consciousness, the witch of a pulmonologist stood over my ICU bed, told me that they needed my help to get me better, and directed me to breathe in deeply and breathe out completely. After I left the hospital and the nursing home, I went to my first yoga class where I realized that my pulmonologist had been to a yoga class or two. Made the the difference having a trach all the days of my life and having no trach within a year and now being able to live independently with no care providers. Difficult some days, but do-able most.

message 19: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8426 comments Amy wrote: "Joanne - you are strengthening every day and getting stronger. You are already in your way back, and are enjoying the slow glide towards health and wellness. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, Amy"

Thank you Amy, all blessings and good thoughts are welcome~!

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9352 comments Goes for you too Cynda - and blessings to all.

message 21: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7468 comments Jason wrote: "Titles, it's how we identify a story. The title is normally the second thing we notice about a book after the cover or the author if the spine is out.

There are many types of titles. The one word..."

Not necessarily, because so often the title is chosen by the editor or publisher rather than the author.

This thread is proof I haven't been here in over a week. Wow!