Sci-Fi Group Book Club discussion

Books of the Month Nominations > Books of the Month Nominations for May 2018

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
It's time to make suggestions for our May group reads! As per usual, all suggestions made in this topic will be listed in a poll in a few days so that we can vote on the two books for the monthly group read.

If a book has featured in a previous group read in the last 12 months, please do not suggest it for this next group read. You may, however, feel free to repeat any earlier unsuccessful suggestions you (or anybody else) made in previous nomination topics.

message 3: by Susan (new)

message 4: by Thorkell (last edited Apr 29, 2018 10:15PM) (new)

message 5: by Karen (last edited Apr 29, 2018 05:22PM) (new)

Karen Niedzwiecki | 16 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway

message 6: by Thorkell (new)

Thorkell Ottarsson | 209 comments Richard wrote: "Amberlough"

Amberlough (The Amberlough Dossier, #1) by Lara Elena Donnelly Amberlough sounds amazing. I really want to read that one BUT is it sci fi?

message 7: by Thorkell (new)

Thorkell Ottarsson | 209 comments Karen wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway"

I have The Gone-Away World  by Nick Harkaway The Gone-Away World on my wich list so would not mind it at all.

message 8: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Thorkell wrote: "Richard wrote: "Amberlough"

Amberlough (The Amberlough Dossier, #1) by Lara Elena Donnelly Amberlough sounds amazing. I really want to read that one BUT is it sci fi?"

The description suggests it's more like a modern fantasy since it's not set in a real country but maybe there's aspects to the novel that give it a science fictional feel to it.

message 9: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "High-Rise by J.G. Ballard"

I have an unread copy of this so I'll second this suggestion.

message 10: by Thorkell (new)

Thorkell Ottarsson | 209 comments If it is OK to make two suggestions, then this would be my 2nd one: The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1 by a lot of authors. It is a collection of short stories and is supposed to be brilliant.

message 11: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Two suggestions are fine since two books will be read over the same month. :)

message 12: by Damon, ZARDOZ (new)

Damon (drasmodeus) | 171 comments Mod
I like the look of that anthology.

message 13: by Mel (new)

Mel | 83 comments I nominate: The Goblin Reservation - it's on my to read list and the synopsis sounds wild.

message 14: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Mel wrote: "I nominate: The Goblin Reservation - it's on my to read list and the synopsis sounds wild."

Looks cool! I haven't read anything by Simak yet either.

message 15: by Damon, ZARDOZ (new)

Damon (drasmodeus) | 171 comments Mod
Last Simak I read was City. I have read a few of his before and they are always worth a read.

message 16: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Damon wrote: "Last Simak I read was City. I have read a few of his before and they are always worth a read."

Thanks Damon. I hope to get around to reading something by Simak soon enough. :)

message 17: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
I've set up the poll for our May group reads here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1.... It will go live in about 11 hours (12:01 am GMT/4:00 pm PDT) and will run until May 10th. Happy voting!