2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
This topic is about Throne of Glass
Archives - Group Reads > Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (Throne of Glass #1) - May 2018

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Apr 29, 2018 09:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 11420 comments Mod
After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for four years and then be granted her freedom. Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilarating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her ... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead ... quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.

Book Discussion

I’m starting this now.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4522 comments Mod
I'm 10 chapters in - (view spoiler)

I'm done. While I still enjoy the world building and the overall story elements, Celaena is still an irritating heroine.

Sorry to hear that. I was hoping....

Jonetta wrote: "Sorry to hear that. I was hoping...."

She has some truly wonderful moments and then has to go and ruin it with her arrogance and childish temper tantrums - sigh

Allison (rainy-day-reads) I agree - she's not very likeable except when she's in danger or training. When she's left to her own devices, she regresses into a shallow teenager who cares way too much about clothes. It doesn't fit. I really thought the salt mines would have given her a new perspective... oh well.

As to the rest of it, I read it in one day, and it was definitely entertaining. I love this kind of book when I have a day to recharge, and it was perfect for that. I try not to overthink things and just enjoy the experience.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with forbidden magic in the kingdom, as well as rebellions.

Allison wrote: "I really thought the salt mines would have given her a new perspective... oh well...."

So did I:(