Jade City (The Green Bone Saga, #1)
This topic is about Jade City
Side Reads > Jade City (Full Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
Let's talk about Jade City! Full spoilers

Suzanne | 1582 comments So who was your favorite character. I liked Wen because of her push and desire to do something more. I actually liked all of the characters because although flawed, their motives made sense. Can you tell I liked the book more after thinking about it?

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wen was a good character, but I liked Shae the best. I'll be really curious to see where Wen's story goes in the next book though.

I felt this one started a bit slow, setting everything up. I wanted it to focus on Shae more than Hilo or Lan.

I felt like from the start she was destined to be the new Weatherman, but it didn't go the way I thought it was going to. I didn't expect Lan to be killed, and certainly not like that.

I'm still confused what was going on with him in the first place. He was feeling unwell from the start of the book. Was he on the drug even then? I thought he only started taking it after his big fight.k But maybe not. I felt that needed more clarification than we ever got. Like the autopsy that Hilo did showing he had some other kind of health issue or something.

I enjoyed the magic system, even if it wasn't super well explained. I liked how only some could use jade, and how others had developed tech to use it. I also liked the idea of the stone eyes. I'm starting to come around a bit on the "well developed" magic system, so long as it's fun, which this was.

This is no only unlike any Urban Fantasy I've read (no vampires or werewolves anywhere!) It's unlike any fantasy I've read in general. I like the blend of a sort of Yakuza vibe with a unique magic system.

Plus, you've got a mostly (entirely?) Asian cast, a non American/European setting. There is some martial arts, but it's definitely more Yakuza style fighting than Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

It was a fun book, but if this reading thing keeps up, I may swap to audio next time. Did you do it in audio or ebook? If audio, how was the narrator?

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh and I forgot to talk about Anden. The adopted cousin. I struggled a bit with his story. I'm not sure why exactly.

I get that he doesn't want to end up like his mother, but felt pressured to do well in school and take a place as a finger/eventual fist/possible Horn. I just struggled with his actions most of the book for some reason.

I was kind of hoping he'd take over as Horn, so that sudden "I'm out" reaction at the end after he beat the Mountain's Horn was disappointing to me.

My other issue was that I felt like she made the Kauls too much of an underdog for too much of the book. I guess that was all to set up Hilo's crazy gambit. I half thought she was going to kill him off too and make Shae the new Pillar with Anden as her Horn or something. I'm glad it didnt go that way at least.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I kind of suspect Wen may be captured or killed next book while doing White Rat tasks, but I hope not. That seems like too easy a way to divide Shae and Hilo.

After Anden kind of scolded his friends for not wanting to help the clan, it seemed inconsistent for him to just leave. I was a little disappointed in that. He is awfully powerful, and I know the big fight scared him, but still....

Shae is tough too. I'm glad that besides her investigations, we got to see her fight.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I'm not sure what happened with Lan. Clearly that drug isn't safe, but yes he was sick before that.

Hilo kind of grew on me. He's kind of a punk, but he also has a lot of loyalty to people. Definitely an intense personality, and really not diplomatic enough to be a clan leader.

message 7: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hilo grew on me too. He's still a bully, but like you said he's very loyal. I thought near the end he might sacrifice himself for them.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I did too, and really him just being fully prepared to die at the end was good. That fight totally could have gone either way.

Dara (cmdrdara) My favorite characters were Shae and Lan. I'm still not over what happened to him! I grew to really like Hilo as well. His journey from cocky, overconfident brute to leader who has to think about his actions was really interesting. I like that the magic of jade is not fully explained. We have a grasp on what it can do but I don't need it to be fully explained.

This book is such a breath of fresh air. It does something totally new with urban fantasy - a genre I generally avoid like the plague. I really love everything about it and I kind of constantly sing its praises, haha.

message 10: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat | 1177 comments Damn you, my TBR pile just went +1

message 11: by Dara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) Kat wrote: "Damn you, my TBR pile just went +1"

*Evil supervillain laugh* Gooooood! HA HA HA HAAAAAA.

*Retreats back to volcano lair with my white fluffy cat named Tiberius*

message 12: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat | 1177 comments Pre-ordered the paperback.

message 13: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat wrote: "Pre-ordered the paperback."

Nice! I got the ebook really cheap on a daily deal a few months ago.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Me too - it was a great deal. And Kat, I hope you enjoy it!