Cask & Quill Book Club discussion

1984 > Introduce Yourself - 1984

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anna (Cask & Quill) (caskandquill) | 25 comments Mod
Hello to friends new and old! If you’re joining us for the 1984 readalong, tell us a bit about yourself! Plus, let us know if this is your first time reading the book!

If you’re here, you probably already know me as Anna of Cask & Quill. I’m really excited to have you all here! I’ve been plowing through a list of 30 books I made to read before turning 30. Time’s running out and I still have half left to read! I thought it’d be fun to invite some others to read along with me on this journey, so thanks for being here! (Also if you’re interested in seeing the full list of 30 books, you can find it at my website: caskquill.com).

A little about me:
I obviously love reading, but my favorite genres to read are classics, graphic novels, fantasy and nonfiction. Outside of reading I really love food, hanging out with friends, arts and crafts, wine, animals and let’s be honest, Netflix.

This will be my first time reading 1984. After high school and an English degree, it’s kind of weird that I somehow never had to read this one, but I guess that’s why I put it on my list! I’m really looking forward to this one as I think it’ll be interesting on its own, but also to view such a modern classic through our current political climate. Thanks for joining and I look forward to getting to know you!

message 2: by Myriam (new)

Myriam C. | 2 comments Hi, my name is Myriam and it is my first participation this month. I couldn’t join for The Bell Jar last month, but I’ve been meaning to re-read 1984 for a long time, so I suddenly decided to do it this week, at the occasion of this readalong.

I’ve read the book in high school, but well it was a long time ago! I actually really loved it then, I was really into classics (well, it’s a modern one) and also very interested about politic and history (yes, I was a nerd, still am!). So, this book had made a very lasting impression on me and I’ve been curious to see what would be my view on it as an adult.

Other than that, as a reader I’m very eclectic, I don’t have a favorite genre (altough I have a soft spot for mysteries... and always Harry Potter). I really read a bit of everything, depending on my mood, or the book clubs I take part in because I can often do with some external motivation! Also, I’m French speaking so I apologize if there is sometimes mistakes in my comments, or simply weird turns of phrase, that will probably be why (I’m trying my best, but my English writing skills are still a work in progress!)

I’m excited to take part in the book club and discuss this book!

Anna (Cask & Quill) (caskandquill) | 25 comments Mod
Hey Myriam! I'm so glad you've decided to join in on 1984 and I look forward to your perspective as a re-reader. I always think it's interesting to re-read books from high school or before and see how your opinion changes on them or not. Or what things you've forgotten or notice more the second time.

And don't you dare worry about your English. Your skills are better than many native English-speakers and are certainly FAR better than my French, as you know! :) Welcome!

message 4: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Miracle | 3 comments Hello! My name is Tanya and I finished 1984 a few weeks ago, and it’s a re-read for me too! The last time I read it was in high school, so 14ish years ago! 🙈