United States Military Book Club discussion

General Discussion > Reading recommendations

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (last edited Apr 29, 2018 04:11PM) (new)

Leslie | 6 comments I'm currently reading a wonderful book of poetry from a Lakota Indian woman, Whereas I was already going to post this because of the powerful way in which she expresses the experience of trauma without ever saying so....sound familiar? It's the way the mind goes with PTSD, the disconnect, the conversations in your mind that make sense to you but possibly no one else except your friend or acquaintance in similar shoes. It's the loneliness and despair, as well as the appreciation of life and beauty and things remembered. And then, I reached something you probably learned in military school. I hope that you will consider this read and I hope that you will find within this a shared experience of frustration and anger that is not heard, but could be and should be. For me, it's yet another reminder that we do not ever suffer alone. I hope this collection of poems will bring healing to your life.

Finished the book this afternoon and wanted to add - the second half is quite frustrating as the author recounts her perspective of the Dakota 38 and the Presidential apology. I wasn't trying to be political in recommending this read and I do still give it 5 stars. It was a part of history unknown to me and has made me feel so frustrated, angry and ashamed with and for our nation. Anyway, give it a look lover. She's a gifted writer.

message 2: by Leslie (last edited May 01, 2018 10:52AM) (new)

Leslie | 6 comments I also recommend Inside Out & Back Again (a lovely book of poetry written from the perspective of a small child and her family forced to leave South Vietnam during the war, relocated to Alabama to live with her personal cowboy), and Bananas!: How The United Fruit Company Shaped the World. These are all five star reads for me.

Also recommend The Not Forgotten War (found this Korean War book free on Amazon a year ago), The Painter of Battles, and The Art of War (also free on Amazon).

message 3: by Leslie (last edited May 01, 2018 05:40PM) (new)

Leslie | 6 comments Thought of something else. How about an author of the month option (second read)? I'm currently reading The Motorcycle Diaries: Notes on a Latin American Journey by Ernesto Che Guevara and it hit me that Che would make an interesting author of the month. He has several publications, including poetry, spanning his adult life and certainly was a influential person globally. I think sometimes we get into reading about the person and don't always look around for their own perspective, the influences on their life, important time points for those changes as evidenced in their own words, etc. Could include in this category conversations, interviews or personal diaries of individuals. I'm thinking of Che, Stalin, Mao, General Douglas MacArthur, General Robert E. Lee, President Thomas Jefferson, etc.

message 5: by Wayne (new)

Wayne McCauley | 1 comments I read a book a night, about 200 books a year. Mostly Tom Clancy, Joe Buff, Rock Campbell, Dale Brown, Larry Bond etc.

Back before the Arab Spring, I read a book that involved the use of tactical neutron bombs. Not dozens but hundreds of them.

Does anyone else remember the name of the book? Because I can't remember and want to read it again