Play Book Tag discussion

The Refrigerator Monologues
This topic is about The Refrigerator Monologues
April 2018: Strong Women > The Refrigerator Monologues - Catherynne M. Valente (4 stars)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1453 comments The Refrigerator Monologues - Catherynne M. Valente

4 stars

The Refrigerator Monologues is a critique of the common Refrigerator Woman trope in superhero stories. This is when the heroes girlfriend/wife is kidnapped and/or killed by the villian to introduce drama to the hero's story and provide a motivating factor to really get that bad guy. In The Refrigerator Monologues, the women who were close to superheroes gather in a support group in the city of the dead to tell their stories. Although the book changes the names and some of the details about the characters that inspired the stories, those with a familiarity with superheroes will be able to pick out which ones are being alluded to. I could pick out Harley Quinn (from Batman) and Gwen Stacy (from Spiderman), but others I was less familiar with. I am not sure that readers unfamiliar with the superhero stories would enjoy this as much as those that can recognize the story being satirized.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Very interesting concept. I was big into comic books at one time.