Play Book Tag discussion

Their Eyes Were Watching God
This topic is about Their Eyes Were Watching God
April 2018: Strong Women > (Decathlon) Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zole Neale Hurston - 5 stars and a heart

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sushicat | 805 comments Born a slave, her grandmother wants better for Janie. The safety of a prosperous marriage is what she secures for her. But there is no happiness there for her. Neither in her second marriage, though outwardly even more of a success than the first one. Only much later in life does she find the person that matches the yearning of her soul.

This one spoke to my heart.

message 2: by Cora (new) - added it

Cora (corareading) | 1456 comments I read this one in high school and I think I should put it on the TBR for a reread.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy | 9353 comments Wrote a funny comment on the decathalon thread instead. Probably should have posted it here. I think I never responded to Jolene. Always feel free to move around, edit, or delete my misplaced posts, you don’t need my permission, though it was thoughtful that you asked. I take little to zero offense. I think I didn’t respond due to basic busy and distraction.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Like Cora, i read this in high school and remember being totally captivated by it but it may be time for a reread.

Also, did you guys see that a posthumous book by Thus author is coming out soon? Maybe already out. I am going to get the spelling wrong, but it is Barracoon about the last living survivor of the slave trade and is based on Hurston’s interviews with him.

It is definitely in my list.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Sorry for that typo! Hurston.

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Sushicat wrote: "Born a slave, her grandmother wants better for Janie. The safety of a prosperous marriage is what she secures for her. But there is no happiness there for her. Neither in her second marriage, thoug..."

This one was a 5 star read for me too.

message 7: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1392 comments Loved this one too - one of my all time favorite books.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6400 comments If you haven't tried an audiobook ... the audio of this one is performed by the incomparable Ruby Dee!

message 9: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments Good to know BC. Another audio to add to my list.

message 10: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2671 comments Will have to look out for this one