Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
66 views
Archived Threads > Hour 24: The End is Nigh!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elyse (last edited Apr 29, 2018 04:01AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1882 comments It's the final countdown!

Closing time!

It's the end of the world as we know it...? Nah. Forget that one.

Whether you've been up since the beginning or you got some sleep and are back to finish this thing out (like me!) OR it is now midday or later in your part of the world, we're nearing the end of this glorious 24-hour readathon. Wow!

Did you have any unexpected bumps or hiccups during your Readathon where you had to adjust? What did you do to fix it?

Me, I was all set to be gung-ho about this Readathon but my grammy went to the hospital so I went with my mom to visit her and then visited with 2 of my nephews for a little bit. To adjust, I started 2 hours early, I listened to my audiobook on the way to and from my parents' house, and plan on going today until I actually hit 24 hours of reading, so about 8 more hours of reading I'm looking at since I also slept. I ain't mad! It's what I do every weekend anyway! lol

If you didn't have any bumps (or even if you did you can still answer this as well!), what was your favorite character from any of the books you read over the course of the Readathon and why?

Me, I think I'm in lady love with Celaena Sardothien of the Throne of Glass series. She's just such a badass!! She has strengths and weaknesses, many faults, she's super hard on herself, but she's strong and strong-willed and is willing to risk it all. She's so hardheaded and stubborn and is so not perfect and therein lies her perfection. I finished Heir of Fire last night.


message 2: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) Some unexpected guests came over so I've been reading less :(
Not to mention I had to do household chores and drive my sister around for her tuitions.
I'm determined to finish this book before the readathon ends, just about a hundred pages left!


message 3: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments My main book wasn't as fast-paced as I expected (it was marketed as thriller btw), so I started to switch it with an audiobook when I got tired of it. Worked marvelously.


message 4: by Mel (new)

Mel | 25 comments Hope your grandma gets well soon.
I'm happy you enjoyed Heir of Fire, it's one of my favourite books :)
I'm in the middle of Illuminae and my favourites are the protagonists: Ezra and Kady <3
I just can't believe that this already is the last hour. It went by so fast!


message 5: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1882 comments Charvi wrote: "Some unexpected guests came over so I've been reading less :(
Not to mention I had to do household chores and drive my sister around for her tuitions.
I'm determined to finish this book before the ..."


You have a half hour, you can do it!!! Go go go!


message 6: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1882 comments Samantha wrote: "I didn't have any hiccups. I hope your grandmother is ok though.

I think my favourite character would have to Josephine Alibrandi (Looking for Alibrandi) she's the kind of person I could imagine b..."


Adding that book to my TBR! Thank you! It's been a rough couple of weeks for my grammy but hopefully she's on the mend.


message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hiccups hmm.. not sure, maybe all the books I planned to read I ended up dnf ing. But hey life is short who has time for bad books.
oh yes and the fact that I dident have any breakfast for today, just used oreos as breakkie. does not really work. having a nice lunsh though.

fave characters hmm.. Ella from the last beginning by Lauren James.


message 8: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1882 comments Lamilla wrote: "My main book wasn't as fast-paced as I expected (it was marketed as thriller btw), so I started to switch it with an audiobook when I got tired of it. Worked marvelously."

That's too bad your book wasn't as thrilling as claimed. It's so nice to have different reading formats! I ended up doing a lot of listening, with 1 long audiobook, and I listened to the whole thing yesterday!


message 9: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1882 comments Abookfangirl wrote: "Hope your grandma gets well soon.
I'm happy you enjoyed Heir of Fire, it's one of my favourite books :)
I'm in the middle of Illuminae and my favourites are the protagonists: Ezra and Kady <3
I jus..."


Thank you! It's been a rough couple of weeks for my grammy but hopefully she's on the mend. The Illuminae series is on my TBR 2019 list as I will not be able to fit it in this year. lol it's April and I'm saying that. But I have to prioritize! ;)


message 10: by Mel (new)

Mel | 25 comments Elyse wrote: "Abookfangirl wrote: "Hope your grandma gets well soon.
I'm happy you enjoyed Heir of Fire, it's one of my favourite books :)
I'm in the middle of Illuminae and my favourites are the protagonists: E..."


Haha yes, I totally know what you mean :D
At least you'll be able to read the whole series at once; I read Illuminae and Gemina last year and they're so thrilling and fast paced (and the cliffhanger was horrible) and then it was the worst to wait for Obsidio.
Which I still haven't read, despite it being out for a month or something haha :D But now I'm reading book one and two before finally purchasing Obsidio next week <3


message 11: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1882 comments Abookfangirl wrote: "Haha yes, I totally know what you mean :D
At least you'll be able to read the whole series at once; I read Illuminae and Gemina last year and they're so thrilling and fast paced (and the cliffhanger was horrible) and then it was the worst to wait for Obsidio..."


Ugh the curse of gobbling up a book in a series that isn't finished!! I'm late to the Throne of Glass series and just finished Heir of Fire. The final book comes out this year so I can take my time finishing! And one of my goals this year is it not *start* too many unfinished series but it's so darn hard! And I'm also trying to finish reading series that are finally complete.


message 12: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) My only bump was that I set my alarm for 3:30 am and slept through it, so there's not enough time left this morning to finish my main book.

Favorite character: Anita Harris (a real person) from In Suspect Terrain.


message 13: by Mel (new)

Mel | 25 comments Elyse wrote: "Abookfangirl wrote: "Haha yes, I totally know what you mean :D
At least you'll be able to read the whole series at once; I read Illuminae and Gemina last year and they're so thrilling and fast pace..."


I was late for ToG, too; started them two years ago, before Empire of Storms came out :D
You wouldn't be up to buddy reading the rest of them with me, would you? Want to read the whole series again before the last one comes out and totally wrecks me, haha xD
Also, which of the three books did you like the best? And have you read Assassin's Blade?


message 14: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1882 comments Margaret wrote: "My only bump was that I set my alarm for 3:30 am and slept through it, so there's not enough time left this morning to finish my main book.

Favorite character: Anita Harris (a real person) from [b..."


haha bummer! But guess you needed the sleep!


message 15: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1882 comments Abookfangirl wrote: "I was late for ToG, too; started them two years ago, before Empire of Storms came out :D
You wouldn't be up to buddy reading the rest of them with me, would you? Want to read the whole series again before the last one comes out and totally wrecks me, haha xD
Also, which of the three books did you like the best? And have you read Assassin's Blade?..."


So far I think Crown of Midnight is my favorite. I liked Heir of Fire but there was a lot of slow points. I haven't read any of the novellas yet. I would love to buddy read with you but I have no idea when I will be able to get around to them! They're not currently on my To Read Soon list and that is over 200 books. lol.


message 16: by Mel (new)

Mel | 25 comments Elyse wrote: "Abookfangirl wrote: "I was late for ToG, too; started them two years ago, before Empire of Storms came out :D
You wouldn't be up to buddy reading the rest of them with me, would you? Want to read t..."


That's fine with me, I would probably read them around August and Septmeber anyway; you can just drop me a message when you're up to it :)


message 17: by Mel (new)

Mel | 25 comments Samantha wrote: "Can't work out how to do the the reply thing on my phone.

Elyse, glad your grandmother is going to be ok and I hope you enjoy Looking for Alibrandi.

Also I'm glad everyone, despite hiccups every ..."


Yeah, I can't reply on my phone either, it's kinda annoying; I hope they will change that in the future.
Happy sleeping? Does one say something like that? xD


message 18: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1882 comments Abookfangirl wrote: "That's fine with me, I would probably read them around August and Septmeber anyway; you can just drop me a message when you're up to it :) ..."

Will do! I'm going to add you! :)


message 19: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 146 comments this was the first readathon I had to work. SO I'm splitting my reading into 2 days.


message 20: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 29 comments I was pretty proud that I only slept for four hours for this read-a-thon, even though I didn't get as much reading done as I hoped. I think audio books also helped a lot as well.


message 21: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 43 comments I managed to complete 580 pages of TBR books!


message 22: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1882 comments Newly wrote: "this was the first readathon I had to work. SO I'm splitting my reading into 2 days."

Sounds good!


message 23: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1882 comments Carmen wrote: "I was pretty proud that I only slept for four hours for this read-a-thon, even though I didn't get as much reading done as I hoped. I think audio books also helped a lot as well."

Audiobooks definitely helped me a lot this time with my unforeseen hiccup! I usually have an audiobook going at each Readathon but this one I listened to start to finish!


message 24: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1882 comments Andrea wrote: "I managed to complete 580 pages of TBR books!"

Excellent!


message 25: by Beth (new)

Beth | 156 comments I read for 2 hours straight during the last 2 hours, having taken a nap earlier. I'm not sure what my overall time was, because usually I recorded somewhere between 20-40 minutes for the hours I did participate in - I'm guessing I fell a little short of my 12-hour goal because of that.


message 26: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 539 comments Mod
I did the full 24 hours, but I gave up on the second audiobook because the reader's voice was not nearly as easy to follow by hour 24 as it was 2 days ago when I was more awake. I put on a favorite Discworld book instead for my last hour of readathon time, the only reread for this readathon. I didn't finish as much of Middlemarch as I'd hoped though, so I'll still be reading a lot today to finish that book before the end of the month.


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.