The Blackhouse (Lewis Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about The Blackhouse
Group Reads > May/June: The Blackhouse

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (last edited Apr 29, 2018 04:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 350 comments Mod
Our (first) group read for May and June is The Blackhouse by Peter May

Read it and share your thoughts below. Please use the spoiler HTML or comment at the top of your post where you are in the book so to not give anything away to those not quite there yet.

This book is very popular in this group so expecting some good chat! Enjoy...

message 2: by Ellen (last edited Apr 29, 2018 04:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The May and June poll was a draw. So see the link to other winning book, The Accident on the A35: A Thriller, and join in the discussion here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Ellen | 87 comments Ellen wrote: "Our (first) group read for May and June is The Blackhouse by Peter May

Read it and share your thoughts below. Please use the spoiler HTML or comment at the top of ..."

So glad this book won. I loved it.

Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Our (first) group read for May and June is The Blackhouse by Peter May

Read it and share your thoughts below. Please use the spoiler HTML or comment ..."

I'm chuffed too :) Might have to dip into it again to refresh my memory, I remember loving the Gaelic names.

Karen | 14 comments Well I read this back in January so I was early for this group read :) I really enjoyed his descriptions of Lewis as well as the flashbacks to DI Fin Macleod's past. I'm not sure how the spoiler thing works so I'll say no more...

Question: What are/were your first impressions of the book?

What did you first expect it to be like? Why did it you choose to read it?

Tracy I picked this up from my library on Wednesday, just a few more pages of my current read to go then this is next on my list.

Tracy wrote: "I picked this up from my library on Wednesday, just a few more pages of my current read to go then this is next on my list."

Fab! Hope you enjoy :)

Karen | 14 comments I was expecting it to be a bit like Rebus but on the islands. People at work had recommended it to me ahead of a trip to the Western Isles but I didn't get round to reading it for a few years...

Karen wrote: "Well I read this back in January so I was early for this group read :) I really enjoyed his descriptions of Lewis as well as the flashbacks to DI Fin Macleod's past. I'm not sure how the spoiler th..."

If you go on Goodreads on the web, there is a button on the right hand corner of comments that says: (some html is ok)
This will give you guide lines on how to write a spoiler.

Alternatively, you can head your comment with SPOILER (just an example) to let people now to skip it if they’re still not finished. :)

message 11: by Janet (new)

Janet Clarkson | 6 comments Ellen wrote: "Karen wrote: "Well I read this back in January so I was early for this group read :) I really enjoyed his descriptions of Lewis as well as the flashbacks to DI Fin Macleod's past. I'm not sure how ..."

Thanks for the tip.

Janet wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Karen wrote: "Well I read this back in January so I was early for this group read :) I really enjoyed his descriptions of Lewis as well as the flashbacks to DI Fin Macleod's past. I'm..."

You’re welcome, Janet. It’s a bit annoying you can’t see this on the app and also spoilers don’t show up on the app either. I find that endlessly frustrating - hopefully they’ll update the app soon!

Karen wrote: "I was expecting it to be a bit like Rebus but on the islands. People at work had recommended it to me ahead of a trip to the Western Isles but I didn't get round to reading it for a few years..."

I haven’t read any Rebus (I’m about to) - do you think the styles are different? Which do you prefer?

It’s different from other crime books I’ve read, I particularly love the two narratives and how the past stories slowly builds up and reveals the present narrative and investigation.

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) Read it!! An excellent evocation of the island and the way of life there. The 2 stories were brilliantly described and as each one was revealed a bit more - i was more enthralled. I just loved how well Peter constructs his books. he manoeuvres his characters like a chess master!

Tarissa (inthebookcase) | 52 comments I'm about 70% through the book... will post again on here once I finish. :)

Susan in Perthshire wrote: "Read it!! An excellent evocation of the island and the way of life there. The 2 stories were brilliantly described and as each one was revealed a bit more - i was more enthralled. I just loved how ..."

Yes, he is like a chess master! Well put.

Tarissa wrote: "I'm about 70% through the book... will post again on here once I finish. :)"

Brilliant - when I was 70% through, I suspected everyone and no one. :)

Tracy On holiday from work at the moment so now getting stuck in to this, only a few pages in but am loving the Gaelic translation.