The Grapes of Wrath The Grapes of Wrath question

Unsolved- do you know this story
IseeArt IseeArt Apr 29, 2018 03:55AM
I read this short story in a lit class in the 90's at collage. Read it around the same time as Steinbeck's The Chrysanthemums, but am not sure if it is one of his short stories. Does ANYONE know the name/author???

Short story, depression era USA, young girl living in Hooverville settlement. Is invited to a party of a school mate. Family is excited and makes efforts to dress her to look nice, something about a broach or pin found in a gas station bathroom. Goes to party and wins prize for "tacky or shabby" dress. Understands the humiliation of winning the prize for looking poor and doesn't tell her family.

I have searched so many things on Google and am beginning to think this story is just in my imagination. Can anyone assist.

Monty J (last edited Aug 02, 2018 08:27PM ) Aug 02, 2018 01:32PM   0 votes
IseeArt wrote: "I have searched so many things on Google and am beginning to think this story is just in my imagination. Can anyone assist."

I've read 85% of Steinbeck's work and such a story as you've described does not ring a bell.

It does, however, sound like something he might have written. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for posting.