Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Hour 18- Booklings

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 539 comments Mod
One of the books I am reading today- The City of Dreaming Books- has characters called Booklings. These cute, genderless critters have 4 limbs, a mouth, and one big eye on an eyestalk. They live deep underground with a huge library, and reading sustains them in place of food. Each one is named after a particular author from the world above. Every bookling memorizes every word written by the author they are named after, so that they can recite their namesake's work perfectly, and they become total experts in their particular author.
If you were transformed into a bookling tomorrow, what author would you want to be named after(keeping in mind that you'll spend the rest of your life memorizing and reciting their work and becoming a total expert on that author)?

Me? Well, it would be a lot of work, but I think I'd choose Brandon Sanderson. Hopefully he'll be writing for many years still, so I would have many new works to memorize beyond what he's written so far.

message 2: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 146 comments probably somebody like Robert sheckley

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Newly wrote: "probably somebody like Robert sheckley"

I had to google him, but yeah he looks like he'd be a fun author to assimilate. I'd bet there are at least a few obscure stories tucked away somewhere that only you and a handful of other people would know about by the time you were done learning all his work. :)

message 4: by Mary (last edited Apr 28, 2018 11:09PM) (new)

Mary King (maryk13) Oh this is such a fun one! I think I'd have to go with Robert Jorden, I could re-read The Wheel of Time series a million times. Catherynne Valente is a really close second, as her novels are like a magical drug.

Adding "The City of Dreaming Books" to my To-Read shelf - sounds like the perfect life living underground in a huge library with reading being your sustenance. I think Sanderson would be a fun choice because he never disappoints.

It would be too fun to question whatever poor Bookling was named V.C. Andrews or Chuck Palahniuk.

Who would be the worst author to be named after in your opinion?

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Mary wrote: "Oh this is such a fun one! I think I'd have to go with Robert Jorden, I could re-read The Wheel of Time series a million times. Catherynne Valente is a really close second, as her novels are like a..."

I would not want to be named after a romance author, for sure. It would bug me to have to memorize every word of every book Nora Roberts ever wrote, for instance. The authors who only wrote one book and who died young would also be annoying, since going over that one book over and over again forever would suck, and there'd be so little to know about the author.
I think almost every book-lover ought to read The City of Dreaming Books. it's the first in a series, too, so I am hunting down the rest of the books in the series now.

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth | 156 comments J.R.R. Tolkien I think

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary King (maryk13) Beth wrote: "J.R.R. Tolkien I think"

That would be such an interesting one to question you about since I never made it through The Silmarillion. A friend of mine could write in Elvish and I always thought that was such a neat trick.

Jamie wrote: "Mary wrote: "Oh this is such a fun one! I think I'd have to go with Robert Jorden, I could re-read The Wheel of Time series a million times. Catherynne Valente is a really close second, as her nove..."

I didn't even think of romances - that would be quite a drag for me too. I'm sure there are a ton of people who would love it. I wonder if the Booklings also do cookbooks

message 8: by Biblio_philia (new)

Biblio_philia (biblio_philia_germany) Ha fun question! I love the booklings and all of walter moers books, soooo , I go with Walter Moers

message 9: by Jamie (new)

Julia wrote: "Ha fun question! I love the booklings and all of walter moers books, soooo , I go with Walter Moers"

That could be fun. :)

message 10: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (totallyshelfaware) | 10 comments Sign me up for Brandon Sanderson, too!

message 11: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1882 comments Oh hmm! They sound so cute! I would have to stay either Diana Gabaldon or J. K. Rowling!

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary King (maryk13) I was waiting for someone to choose J.K.! I’m pretty sure a lot of people could be considered J.K. Booklings here in reality

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.