Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Hour 16 - What's New, Pussycat?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 182 comments Hello! My name is Amy, & although I haven't been able to participate very much in this particular Read-a-thon due to life (my daughter's 13th birthday is today), I love having a late-night slot to host a discussion.

I'm 45 years old & have been reading voraciously since age 3. However, I still find myself constantly learning new thingsabout my reading life. For years, I didn't think I like historical fiction, but I do! For years, I swore off an eReader. Now I read both print & eBooks.

What is something that has recently changed (or something that you've realized) in your reading life?

message 2: by GabsAboutBooks (new)

GabsAboutBooks I used to never be a fan of historical fiction but now I love it! Some of my favorite series are historical fiction. Examples include Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco, the Leviathan triology by Scott Westerfeld, The Gentlemen's Guide to Vice and Virtue. I'm currently reading Ace of Shades by Amanda Foody. Another historical fiction although I did not know going into it. I must say it was a pleasant surprise!

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 533 comments Mod
I realized this year that if I focus on actually reading the books on the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die lists, I could finish all of them that are available in English within about 5 years at my current reading rate. So, I am reading a lot more from those lists now, though I still read mostly books not on those lists. I also read all the books written by any author whose book made those lists, so long as their books don't really suck. It's a massive reading project, but I figure when I'm done I may make my own list and publish it.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 182 comments Jamie wrote: "I realized this year that if I focus on actually reading the books on the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die lists, I could finish all of them that are available in English within about 5 year..."

Fantastic!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 182 comments Gabby (GabsAboutBooks) wrote: "I used to never be a fan of historical fiction but now I love it! Some of my favorite series are historical fiction. Examples include Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco, the Leviathan tri..."

I realized that when I hit a period where I had read 4 or 5 historical fiction books in a row & was recommending them to people, I should probably consider myself a fan of historical fiction! :-D

message 6: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 146 comments so far I. I was introduced to Japanese noir

message 7: by Sicily (new)

Sicily  (sicilyjoy) | 11 comments I use to swear off horror now I love reading good horror books and watching good or funny horror movies

message 8: by Logan (last edited Apr 28, 2018 09:03PM) (new)

Logan (lashelam) | 11 comments As I've gotten older, I love all types of Nonfiction, especially humor and microhistories. Whereas, I was mostly ya, historical fiction, and fantasy when I was younger. Also, I used to be an anti-tech reader, but now I love audiobooks and my kindle for the convenience and consumption abilities hahaha. I still prefer physical books, but you can't beat having all the options ;)

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 89 comments I've always loved nonfiction, but something that has definitely changed for me over the past year and a half is my interest in books on politics, sociology, and political history. My "read" list is full of those types of books now!

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan (meggomustreadbooks) | 32 comments I love poetry who knew, I most certainly did not. I also listen to a lot of audio books now due to a neck injury. I have ADHD so audio books for me meant rewinding constantly, and I would get frustrated. since the injury I don't get as frustrated since I can at least read again. I do prefer physical books though, I just can't hold the book or look at the book without throwing my neck out. sometimes I try to listen to the audio and follow along with the book so I feel like I'm physically reading.

message 11: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments I've only been listening to audiobooks for 4 years. And I read a lot but when I was younger I could not focus on an audiobook and multi-task. So I finally joined Audible and started easy with celebrity memoirs, mostly comedians reading their own, and my love of audiobooks grew from there! I've been 100% all about e-readers since the Kindle was birthed! :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.