Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Hour 15 - books as gifts

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 12 comments Hi everyone!

Thanks for hanging out with me in this thread during the hour.

I really love giving books as gifts! In one goodreads group I'm in, we do a Secret Santa, which is always fun. This year I also participated in the Reddit Gift exchanges, doing both the book exchange and bookmark exchange.

I received such awesome books! In the reddit secret santa, my santa gifted me a copy of a children's ghost story, published in the early 20th century, that they found at an antique sale. It was a really thoughtful and unique gift.

So tell me... feel free to answer any or all!
Have you ever done a book exchange?
Do you like getting books as gifts?
What's a great book you've been gifted?
What's a book you've given to someone?

message 2: by GabsAboutBooks (new)

GabsAboutBooks What a unique question! I love it. No, I've never done a book exchange. YES I love receiving books as gifts. One of my best friends got me the Ravenclaw edition of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone! Who doesn't love Harry Potter as a gift haha?!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 12 comments Thank you for answering! :)

What a cool gift!!! I looked it up just now and it looks gorgeous

message 4: by Elyse (last edited Apr 28, 2018 07:17PM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Have you ever done a book exchange?
No!
Of course!
No one gives me books. lol. I gift myself books! Just gifted myself about 50 FREE books from the recycle center in my hometown my mom helps run! ;)
I'm a huge book giver to my nieces and nephews! I can't list them all but every birthday they get books from me and every Christmas at least one book! And they are 7 months, 10 months, 6 years, 12 years, and 14 years! I get so excited with the 2 oldest because I read MG and YA so we trade books. :D

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 12 comments Elyse wrote: "Have you ever done a book exchange?
No!
Of course!
No one gives me books. lol. I gift myself books! Just gifted myself ab..."

lol, I love that you gift yourself books! i've been relying on the library for most of my books, so when i end up buying one it really does feel like a gift!
That's very cool that you run a recycle center.

Only a couple of my family members enjoy reading, so I try to send them books when I can. I wish my nephews were more into reading. I send the oldest one books every so often but I don't think he reads them.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 182 comments I have participated in book exchanges through the mail through Litsy and they are SO MUCH FUN! I love trying to come up with the perfect book for my partner & love seeing what's been picked for me. I was recently gifted A Man Called Ove, which was a fabulous book.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 12 comments Ohhhh I never heard of Litsy before! I just looked it up, I may join it!

I'm always very nervous when I send a gift to someone, hoping they will like it!

I've never read A Man Called Ove, but it's on my list.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 457 comments Have you ever done a book exchange? -- Never did an exchange but I have bought some gifts as books before.
Do you like getting books as gifts? For the most part, yes.
What's a great book you've been gifted? Edgar Allan Poe Full Stories and Poems
What's a book you've given to someone? I don't gift too many but I didn't do Caravel for a friend

message 9: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 539 comments Mod
Have you ever done a book exchange?
I have exchanged books with my siblings, but otherwise no. I have no income of my own now, and haven't had an income for several years, so postage to send books to other people is prohibitively expensive. If I ever find a job again, I may try to participate in a few the book exchanges that mail books between participants, but I'd much rather form a local book club (a project I've tried unsuccessfully so far a few times) with various sorts of book exchanges as some of the activities.
I love free books of any sort, so long as they are ones I am likely to read. A few of my less tactful family members try to foist their religion on me by gifting me 'inspirational' books, which has soured me a bit on books as gifts lately, but my siblings and I usually give each other books for holidays and birthdays.
A man I was in undergrad with gave me a leather-bound, gilt-edged omnibus edition of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series one semester for my birthday. He was not a date or anything, so I was and still am a bit baffled about why, but it was still a lovely gift I've enjoyed ever since.
I gave my mom a copy of The Art of Soviet Cooking, by Anya von Bremzen, when I was buying books at the dollar store for my birthday this year. I gave my sister my copy that I won through a Goodreads giveaway, and she has yet to read it, so I figured Mom would not get to read that copy for a long time yet. We pass books around a lot in my immediate family, but that was the last one I specifically gifted to someone.

message 10: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 146 comments great question. no I've never participated in a book exchange. it sounds wild! love getting books as gifts and I like giving books as gifts. I gave my old boss an airfry cookbook for bosses day last year. I got a gift card to my favorite book store last year because I'm a difficult reader to buy for.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 89 comments I would LOVE it if someone gifted me a book. Unfortunately, I really don't have anyone in my real life who likes to and has (makes) time to read. It would be fantastic to have people to exchange books with, or even talk about books with IRL.

message 12: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Rachel wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Have you ever done a book exchange?
No!
Of course!
No one gives me books. lol. I gift myself books! Just gi..."

Oh that's too bad! I love love that my nieces and nephews are book nerds like me! And I'm fostering it in the babies! :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.