Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
38 views
Archived Threads > Hour 14

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachael (last edited Apr 28, 2018 08:19PM) (new)

Rachael (rachaelc94) | 7 comments Welcome to Hour 14 of Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon. My name is Rachael and I'll be your host for this hour. This is my 11th Dewey's Readathon. I have done them since I was a Senior in High School and I have now graduated college and I'm a 1st year Special Education Teacher. I have been blogging for 5 years over at Rachael Turns Pages http://rachaelc94.blogspot.com.

If you read my blog you would know that TBR's a are a big thing for me. I have written many a post about my quest to reduce my goodreads TBR. My current number is 402, so it hasn't quite happened yet. My question to you this hour is how do you track your TBR? What is your current number? Are you trying to reduce the number of books on your TBR or are you okay with a big TBR?

You all are amazing! Keep on Reading!


message 2: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments I track mine on Goodreads mostly (plus the occasional random note in my phone)! Currently at 108 in my TBR plus 33 in "Already Owned TBR" for a grand total of 141 books.

I'm with you on wanting to bring it down. Some of mine are from high school (I'm 23 now) and I don't even remember what sounded interesting about some of them looking back at a few of them. I'd love to get through my TBR of books that I already own, but new titles from the library always entice me and the number never dwindles!


message 3: by GabsAboutBooks (new)

GabsAboutBooks I have to say at the end of 2017 beginning of 2018 I did a pretty good job with reducing my TBR. Now not so much, since there are so many amazing books about to be published. I also recently did an huge unhaul and donoated many of my unread books. At this moment I have 20 books on my TBR shelf! I used to have a TBR jar but I failed that miserably so I stopped haha. Now I read based on my mood.


message 4: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachaelc94) | 7 comments Thanks for commenting Abbey. Some have been on there since I created goodreads.


message 5: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments Rachael wrote: "Welcome to Hour 14 of Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon. My name is Rachael and I'll be your host for this hour. This is my 11th Dewey's Readathon. I have done them since I was a Senior in High School and ..."

FYI, I can't seem to get to your blog when I click on the link you shared, but a quick google search found it! I think the "l" at the end of Rachael got cut off in your link. Loving your blog so far!!!


message 6: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments Gabby (GabsAboutBooks) wrote: "I have to say at the end of 2017 beginning of 2018 I did a pretty good job with reducing my TBR. Now not so much, since there are so many amazing books about to be published. I also recently did an..."

So impressed with your ability to donate unread books! I hope to one day have that power. :)


message 7: by Sicily (new)

Sicily  (sicilyjoy) | 11 comments My goodreads tbr is 561. I have been trying to get it down to 500 and I'm failing miserably. I try to lessen it but cutting down on low rated books and books that have been on there a long time.


message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 12 comments I'm trying to manage my TBR shelf.
So this year I decided to sort my books with what the library owns, and what I own.

I have 2982 books on my TBR shelf that are uncategorized.
my TBR own is 29 books
my TBR library is 326.

honestly most of the books on my TBR shelf are probably books I am not interested in anymore, I really need to weed them out lol.


message 9: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 146 comments great question. my tbr is 68 and I don't care how big it gets. I usually use the tbr to for buddy reads. I've met some amazing ppl and read some books I hadn't heard about. when ppl give me a book suggestion I usually put it on tbr.


message 10: by Lela (new)

Lela Shelton (adventuresoftrudence) Rachel wrote: "I'm trying to manage my TBR shelf.
So this year I decided to sort my books with what the library owns, and what I own.

I have 2982 books on my TBR shelf that are uncategorized.
my TBR own is 29 bo..."


This makes me feel SO much better. Mine is at 784. I recently discovered BookTube and it has ruined me.
I'm trying to conquer Mount TBR, but I just keep finding awesome books to read!


message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 12 comments lmao yeah mine is out of control. i just add books all day long whenever i log in!!!


message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth | 156 comments My current number is 317. Most of the recent additions have come from the group bookshelf Science Fiction & Fantasy Book Club group. But sometimes I add books from the automated recommendations, books my GR friends are reading, ect.


message 13: by Elyse (last edited Apr 28, 2018 07:23PM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1881 comments How do you track your TBR? Goodreads only!
What is your current number? Uhhh you don't want to know. Let's just say over 10,000+ on my Want to Read shelf which is why I created a To Read Soon shelf which has a little over 200 on it.
Are you trying to reduce the number of books on your TBR or are you okay with a big TBR? I *did* do a cull recently of my Want to Read shelf and kept only 1 book per author, usually their highest rated, UNLESS I own the books. Every book I own that I haven't read is on my Want to Read. Except the ones I just got today...lol. I'm obsessed! So I went from 13,000+ to a little over 10,000+.


message 14: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 539 comments Mod
I really don't track the books I haven't read yet, just the ones I have read. Pretty much all books I have not read yet are technically on my TBR list, so it is an infinite list and not really worth wasting time tracking. I do make admittedly rather large stacks of TBR books each week that I specifically draw from when starting new books, and I run a facebook group called Weekly Reading Challenge where I keep track of these stacks and progress I've made reading them (and other members track their weekly reading however they like as well on that group). And when I start 'reading an author' I try to finish all their books that I can get, preferably in the same year, so right now, for instance, all the books by Sarah Waters, Salman Rushdie, John Steinbeck, and Alan Hollinghurst became automatically on my TBR for 2018. I play with tracking at least what I've finished by authors like those, but so far I don't really.


message 15: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachaelc94) | 7 comments Sicily wrote: "My goodreads tbr is 561. I have been trying to get it down to 500 and I'm failing miserably. I try to lessen it but cutting down on low rated books and books that have been on there a long time."

Yes that is exactly what I have been doing this year. Lots of deleting, but also trying to read books from the list.


message 16: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) Thanks for the topic, Rachael. I'll look at your blog after the read-a-thon to see your tips.

I'm always fighting my hoarder tendencies, so it's important to me to keep the TBR, and the number of books in the house; whether read or unread, mine or the kids', down to size. I actually keep a small index card box with a card for each unread book, in sections according to novels, travel books, poetry, etc. It has shrunk (TBR is currently 28*) so I need to think of something more compact to use.

*I cheat by not adding things like atlases, yearbooks, field guides, my kids' books, or series books in a series where I don't own all the books yet to my TBR. If I counted all those, it would be about 150.

And, there are 300 books in the house right now, which is my firm limit!


message 17: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachaelc94) | 7 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm trying to manage my TBR shelf.
So this year I decided to sort my books with what the library owns, and what I own.

I have 2982 books on my TBR shelf that are uncategorized.
my TBR own is 29 bo..."


That is a big TBR. Thanks for stopping by.


message 18: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachaelc94) | 7 comments Newly wrote: "great question. my tbr is 68 and I don't care how big it gets. I usually use the tbr to for buddy reads. I've met some amazing ppl and read some books I hadn't heard about. when ppl give me a book ..."

That is awesome that it doesn't matter, but you have kept it at such a manageable number. I'm impressed.


message 19: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachaelc94) | 7 comments Elyse wrote: "How do you track your TBR? Goodreads only!
What is your current number? Uhhh you don't want to know. Let's just say over 10,000+ on my Want to Read shelf which is why I created a To Read Soon shelf..."


You did delete a lot. If only there was more time to read all those books.


message 20: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachaelc94) | 7 comments Jamie wrote: "I really don't track the books I haven't read yet, just the ones I have read. Pretty much all books I have not read yet are technically on my TBR list, so it is an infinite list and not really wort..."

That sounds like fun. I will have to check it out.


message 21: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 146 comments this question will help me keep an eye on it.


message 22: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1881 comments Rachael wrote: "You did delete a lot. If only there was more time to read all those books..."

I knowwww. lol. I do the math every once in awhile and divide by my average books read per year to see how long it will take me if I didn't add anymore books RIGHT NOW. I will have to live to be over 100, which hey, the way science and technology is going, is entirely possible! I'm only 31! lol


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.