All About Books discussion

Upcoming Monthly Reads > May 2018 - What will you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments May is just around the corner! Share your reading plans with us here or even just your speculative thoughts!

message 2: by Leslie (last edited May 22, 2018 06:14PM) (new)

message 3: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 1321 comments I have quite a busy May planned:

The Aeneid by Virgil (buddy read)
The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton (book club)
The Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie (book club)

Then if I have time:
The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne - it has been getting some great reviews
Cattle Haul by Jesmyn Ward - because I want to see if I like her writing style before I approached the super-hyped Sing, Unburied, Sing

Maybe I will squeeze in either :
Dogs of War by Adrian Tchaikovsky
or
The Fire Court by Andrew Taylor

message 4: by Chrissie (last edited Oct 02, 2018 07:30AM) (new)

Chrissie I have succumbed to special deals and free books offered at Audible. If I do not like them, I will force myself to dump them, but several readers have explained why they ARE good. Moby-Dick I have tried to read several times before. Several are exceedingly long, which is fine, but only if I enjoy them.

Free books:
1.Moby-Dick or, The Whale by Herman Melville 1 star read half
2.Emma by Jane Austen 3 stars read
3.Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne 5 star read

Special deal books:
4,The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling by Henry Fielding
(Not going to read. I tried 2 hours and gave up.)
5.Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray 1 star dumped after 5 hours
6.The Spectator Bird by Wallace Stegner 4 stars read
7.The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne) 1 star read
8.A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh 2 stars read
9.Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler 4 stars read
10.Offshore by Penelope Fitzgerald 3 stars read

Books 7-10 I have wanted to read anyhow.

11. Silas Marner by George Eliot 3 stars read
I am not sure about this, but we are discussing it here in the group.

I will be reading some short stories:
12.The Blue Hotel by Stephen Crane 1 star read
13.The Nightingale and the Rose by Oscar Wilde 3 stars read
14.Up at the Villa by W. Somerset Maugham 3 stars
15.Arrangement In Black and White by Dorothy Parker 4 stars read
The story is found either in The Collected Dorothy Parker or free online at The New Yorker here:
story: https://biblioklept.org/2015/08/20/re...
I read it on May 12, 2018

See message 63 for other books read this month.

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 677 comments Leslie - Kindred is wonderful! Hope you enjoy it!

Esther- I just finished The Heart’s Invisible Furies and enjoyed it!

My May reading plan: The Sympathizer, A Man Called Ove, and News of a Kidnapping by Gabriel García Márquez.

message 6: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Leslie wrote: "I will be starting the audiobook of Kristin Lavransdatter tomorrow so I will be continuing with that."

Good luck! I've read it a few years ago but didn't enjoy it at all.

message 7: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Chrissie wrote: "I might need some breaks for the long tomes, and that is the point of the short stories "

I wanted to ask you since when you are reading short stories! I knew that you didn't like them so now it's new to me that you read so many. I think I missed something staying away from GR.

message 8: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments In May I hope to read:
Pow! by Mo Yan (started this morning but have read only a few pages) and
War's Unwomanly Face by Svetlana Alexievich.

I have already read and liked other books by these authors so I hope to like also these two.

I don't know what I will read after these two books. Will think about it when I'm done with them. Maybe I will look for others book by Anne Catherine Emmerich seen that I really enjoyed one of her books I've finished yesterday.

message 9: by Esther (last edited Apr 29, 2018 08:57AM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 1321 comments Chrissie wrote: "I have succumbed to special deals and free books offered at Audible. If I do not like them, I will force myself to dump them, but several readers have explained why they ARE good. Moby-Dick I have ..."

Ah, yes. I forgot I wil also be rereading Silas Marner. Anyway it is short and I already know I like it as I read it at least half-dozen times when I had to write an extended essay on it in secondary school.
I wonder what I will think of it now?

Edited because I can write English

message 10: by Chrissie (last edited Apr 29, 2018 03:49AM) (new)

Chrissie dely wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "I might need some breaks for the long tomes, and that is the point of the short stories "

I wanted to ask you since when you are reading short stories! I knew that you didn't like..."

In the group Reading for Pleasure, where many of my friends here at AAB are also members, there is a thread where short stories available free online are selected, chosen and discussed. One every two weeks.They are free b/c they are classics and have stood the test of time. I started with The Snows of Kilimanjaro. The story had already been discussed so I read it on my own. I loved it. I stuck it in when my son and his family were visiting us; it was a perfect opportunity.I could not read a book while they were visiting b/c we were so busy. I have discovered some short stories are very good and the ones chosen by the group y cost nothing and I can read them on my computer screen usually withing an hour or less. I get the text VERY big this way. I do NOT like reading a bunch of short stories collected in one book, but what I am doing know works.

message 11: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Esther wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "I have succumbed to special deals and free books offered at Audible. If I do not like them, I will force myself to dump them, but several readers have explained why they ARE good. ..."

Re: Silas Marner

Many of us have planned to start around the 15th of May. I hope you join us .

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Leslie wrote: "I will be starting the audiobook of Kristin Lavransdatter tomorrow so I will be continuing with that.

I plan to join the group fiction read of [book:A Brief History of Seven Killings|2..."

Leslie, I liked Kristin Lavrandsdatter though it's an odd book in many ways, I remember a readalong a few years back, I think it was Dhanaraj and dely? and a few others and though I wasn't reading it at the time I enjoyed reading the comments. I still remember that Dhanaraj subsequently developed a literary crush on Sigrid Undset ;)

Another that stuck out was 'Queen Margot, or Marguerite de Valois', which though I liked the book, it's actually one of the few occasion where I loved the movie more. Did you see it?

message 13: by Jenny (last edited Apr 29, 2018 06:03AM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Chrissie wrote: "I have succumbed to special deals and free books offered at Audible. If I do not like them, I will force myself to dump them, but several readers have explained why they ARE good. Moby-Dick I have ..."

I really enjoyed Offshore, it was my maiden voyage on GR :) The first book I read solely because a group read it, despite the fact that I'd never heard of book or author before.

message 14: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments I am going to try and make progress on the large pile of unread books at home, but I am not going to plan which ones I am going to read.

I have a few other books planned though, mostly group reads:
Silas Marner by George Eliot
A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James
The Cove by Ron Rash
I am quite excited to try Ron Rash for the first time, the fact that he's both a poet and a novelist makes him sound really interesting to me.

otherwise I will finish The Luminaries (though at this point finishing might mean abandoning it)
and A Goat's Song by Dermot Healy which has won my heart instantly.

message 15: by Chrissie (last edited May 18, 2018 05:15AM) (new)

Chrissie Jenny, thank you for telling me about your love of Offshore.

Leslie, I dumped Kristin Lavransdatter too.

I might add some books I want to read and not just books bought coerced by Audible. They will most probably by these:

16:Catalina by W. Somerset Maugham
17.The Lower River by Paul Theroux
18.The Girl Who Smiled Beads: A Story of War and What Comes After by Clemantine Wamariya

After reading all those purchased, I chose others. See message 63 instead.

message 16: by Pink (last edited Jun 02, 2018 12:26AM) (new)

Pink To continue -
Vanity Fair 3 stars
George Orwell: A Life in Letters

Then -
A Brief History of Seven Killings (group read)
The House on Mango Street (group read) 2 stars
Holy Bible (four Gospels, Buddy read)
Another Country (library)

Adding -
The Aeneid (buddy read)
Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams 3 stars

message 17: by Colleen (last edited May 19, 2018 08:18AM) (new)

Colleen  | 352 comments I'll be finishing up:
The Invisible Bridge - read 5 solid stars
Night Film (audio) - read 5 stars

The on to:
White Houses
The Cove - read 5 stars
Lucky Boy
Exposed
Dune - currently reading
The Case Against Sugar - currently listening

message 18: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 1321 comments Chrissie wrote: "Re: Silas Marner

Many of us have planned to start around the 15th of May. I hope you join us . "

Looking forward to it.

message 19: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Esther, good.

message 20: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Chrissie wrote: "dely wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "I might need some breaks for the long tomes, and that is the point of the short stories "

I wanted to ask you since when you are reading short stories! I knew that yo..."

I'm glad that you found a way to read and enjoy short stories. I like reading them and you are right, they are perfect when we don't have enough time to enjoy a long book.

message 21: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Jenny wrote: "Leslie, I liked Kristin Lavrandsdatter though it's an odd book in many ways, I remember a readalong a few years back, I think it was Dhanaraj and dely? and a few others and though I wasn't reading it at the time I enjoyed reading the comments. I still remember that Dhanaraj subsequently developed a literary crush on Sigrid Undset ;)"

Yes, it was Dhanaraj, me and Chrissie that gave up. I don't remember if there was also someone else that took part at the readalong.
My problem was that I couldn't relate to the main character. At some point I couldn't stand her anymore, but I was able to finish the book.

message 22: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Colleen wrote: "I'll be finishing up:
The Invisible Bridge
Night Film (audio)

The on to:
White Houses
The Cove (me too Jenny!)
[book:Lucky Boy|294300..."

Colleen, are you reading it with a group or is it coincidence?

message 23: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments dely wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Leslie, I liked Kristin Lavrandsdatter though it's an odd book in many ways, I remember a readalong a few years back, I think it was Dhanaraj and dely? and a few others and though I w..."

dely, I don't think my reaction to the main character was as strong as yours, but I see what you mean. It's really hard to stick to such a long book if you dislike the main character, though I guess finding the protagonist infuriating is probably better than not caring at all. Did you ever read anything else by her before or after?

message 24: by dely (last edited Apr 29, 2018 10:31AM) (new)

dely | 5214 comments Jenny wrote: "dely, I don't think my reaction to the main character was as strong as yours, but I see what you mean. It's really hard to stick to such a long book if you dislike the main character, though I guess finding the protagonist infuriating is probably better than not caring at all. Did you ever read anything else by her before or after? "

I have also read Jenny by her and I rated it with 4 stars. It deals with a young and independent woman, that wants to live her life following her passion for art and that wants to grow her child, not born from a marriage, on her own. Though the book has been published the first time in 1911, and at that time it has surely been a shock for the readers, I think that many of Jenny's thoughts and desires still belong to several women also today. There is also a deep work of introspection by Jenny because she wanted to understand herself better in order to make the right choices. She was an intelligent young woman with right moral values, torn between career and love/marriage, but her way of living wasn't accepted very well. To Jenny I could relate a lot.

message 25: by Chrissie (last edited Apr 29, 2018 10:38AM) (new)

Chrissie dely wrote: "they are perfect when we don't have enough time to enjoy a long book.."

Exactly. I have been impressed by the few I read last month; thy made a large impact on me. You should check out The Open Boat and The Verger. I have links to them in my review.

message 26: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Chrissie wrote: "dely wrote: "they are perfect when we don't have enough time to enjoy a long book.."

Exactly. I have been impressed by the few I read last month; thy made a large impact on me. You should check ou..."

Thanks Chrissie for the recommendations!

message 27: by dely (last edited Apr 29, 2018 01:29PM) (new)

dely | 5214 comments Chrissie wrote: "dely wrote: "they are perfect when we don't have enough time to enjoy a long book.."

Exactly. I have been impressed by the few I read last month; thy made a large impact on me. You should check ou..."

I have finished right now The Open Boat but for me it was only ok. Hope to read the other one soon.

edit: I've also Maugham's story and I liked it much more.

message 28: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments dely wrote: "Jenny wrote: "dely, I don't think my reaction to the main character was as strong as yours, but I see what you mean. It's really hard to stick to such a long book if you dislike the main character,..."

dely, I've read that one as well and really liked it, I would echo everything you've said. I rated both books the same, but I would say that I preferred 'Jenny' as a reading experience, though something about Kristin Lavransdatter really stuck with me.

message 29: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Jenny wrote: "Leslie wrote: "I will be starting the audiobook of Kristin Lavransdatter tomorrow so I will be continuing with that..."

Another that stuck out was 'Queen Margot, or Marguerite de Valois', which though I liked the book, it's actually one of the few occasion where I loved the movie more. Did you see it? "

I love that movie! But many of Dumas's books make great movies ;) One of my personal challenges this year is to read books that were adapted into films so this was a good fit for that. However, I have noticed that my liking of the films often depends on if I read the book first or not. It will be interesting to see how having seen & loved the film first affects my reaction to the book.

message 30: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Jenny wrote: "Leslie, I liked Kristin Lavrandsdatter though it's an odd book in many ways, I remember a readalong a few years back, I think it was Dhanaraj and dely? and a few others and though I wasn't reading it at the time I enjoyed reading the comments. I still remember that Dhanaraj subsequently developed a literary crush on Sigrid Undset ;) ..."

I remember his literary crush too! In fact, it was one factor in my deciding to select this audiobook when I had a chance for a free one from Audible (another being that it is long -- I like to get my money's worth!).

message 31: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Jenny wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "I have succumbed to special deals and free books offered at Audible. If I do not like them, I will force myself to dump them, but several readers have explained why they ARE good..."

I really enjoyed Offshore, it was my maiden voyage on GR :) The first book I read solely because a group read it, despite the fact that I'd never heard of book or author before."

I think that is when you and I first crossed paths Jenny! I also read it as part of that group read.

message 32: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Jenny wrote: "I am going to try and make progress on the large pile of unread books at home, but I am not going to plan which ones I am going to read.
otherwise I will finish The Luminaries (though at this point finishing might mean abandoning it)..."

I finished it but when I was done, I was sorry that I had spent so much time on it! My advice is abandon it!

message 33: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 352 comments @Jenny - just a coincidence, funny when that happens. Let me know when you are starting it, so we can compare notes. Thanks for mentioning he is also a poet! I did not know that. The Cove is the oldest book on my TBR right now (from 2012) so I am glad to be finishing it off. I believe I started the first chapte a few years ago and never read it up for some reason. I also own a copy of Serena & want to try that too.

message 34: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 352 comments I loved The Luminaries! I wish I wrote it. So many characters and back stories, but I loved the descriptions. A little convoluted, but isn't that life?

message 35: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie dely wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "dely wrote: "they are perfect when we don't have enough time to enjoy a long book.."

Exactly. I have been impressed by the few I read last month; thy made a large impact on me. Yo..."

How you react to Hemingway,s writing will help one determine how one reacts to Crane's.

Maugham is special in his ability to shift between so many very different styles and topics and themes. He does each one as it should be done and well, but due to differences in readers' personalities we react to them on a scale that varies. Me, being who I am, could not like The Merry-Go-Round. I believe this is my fault more than his. Actually it is wrong to talk about fault; it is a matter of fitting the right person with the right book.

message 36: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Having just finished Summer by Edith Wharton, I now know I have to read another by her in May. It will be The Reef. For me her short novels and her short stories, those set NOT in the glitzy world, are much better for me. The Reef is set in France, so I am curious to see how I will react.

message 37: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Chrissie wrote: "How you react to Hemingway,s writing will help one determine how one reacts to Crane's. "

In fact I don't like Hemingway :/

I will send you a pm with the links to some Russian short stories. I added them now also in my reviews though for some of these stories I didn't write a review so I don't remember anymore what they are about.

message 38: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie dely wrote: "In fact I don't like Hemingway :/."

Your disenchantment with the The Open Boat is then understandable!

I will check out you PM. Thank you.

message 39: by Jenny (last edited Apr 30, 2018 02:59AM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Leslie wrote: ".I love that movie! But many of Dumas's books make great movies ;) "
Leslie, I've rewatched Queen Margot over and over since I first saw it. I still have the old VHS at home despite the fact that I don't own a player anymore, but I can't part with it . I think having watched the movie first is in part the reason for why I prefer it to the book, I am interested to hear how it'll be for you.

Leslie wrote: "I think that is when you and I first crossed paths Jenny! I also read it as part of that group read. "

It is Leslie! That was in 2012, can you believe it?

message 40: by Jenny (last edited Apr 30, 2018 03:09AM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Colleen wrote: "@Jenny - just a coincidence, funny when that happens. Let me know when you are starting it, so we can compare notes. Thanks for mentioning he is also a poet! I did not know that. The Cove is the ol..."

Colleen, I will be starting this in about a week, should we set up a thread in the readalong section, so we can exchange thoughts?

Colleen wrote: "I loved The Luminaries! I wish I wrote it. So many characters and back stories, but I loved the descriptions. A little convoluted, but isn't that life?"

I think I will have to leave it be for now, bizarrely - though I find it quite brilliantly constructed - I can't really make a connection with the book. Another time maybe.

message 41: by [deleted user] (last edited May 29, 2018 07:41AM) (new)

I have a pretty long list I'm hoping to get to. I will pick my choices from this but will probably not follow it at all! I want to try and read as many of the Women's prize shortlist as I can over the next couple of months

1. Home Fire - Read!
2. Sing, Unburied, Sing- Read!

Then I might read 1/2 of these which I'm waiting for from the library
3. When I Hit You: Or, A Portrait of the Writer as a Young Wife- Still waiting for the reservation
4. The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock
5. Sight- Still waiting for the reservation

For my book group
6. The Music Shop

And just because
7. A Spool of Blue Thread
8. The Gap of Time
9. Swing Time
10. Children of Blood and Bone

I will also continue my 5 monthly long read of Les Misérables

message 42: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Jenny and Leslie, speaking of Dhanaraj, where is he? I really enjoyed his contributions to the group and miss both them and his presence.

message 43: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Bette, I miss him here as well! He is still busy with research, but he is checking in here sometimes and I think he misses the exchange as well. It might be another year before he will really get back to reading he said, so we might have to be patient a little longer. I will let him know we're thinking of him, I am sure he'd be happy to know that.

message 44: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) dely wrote: "Jenny wrote: "dely, I don't think my reaction to the main character was as strong as yours, but I see what you mean. It's really hard to stick to such a long book if you dislike the main character,..."

dely, Jenny & Leslie, I loved Jenny by Sigrid Undset, but I've been hesitant to start Kristin Lavransdatter.

message 45: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) Jenny wrote: "Bette, I miss him here as well! He is still busy with research, but he is checking in here sometimes and I think he misses the exchange as well. It might be another year before he will really get b..."

I've been keeping in touch with Dhanaraj on Facebook and Twitter and know he's been busy with his academic project.

message 46: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Thanks for that, Jenny:)

message 47: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Quick update: I wrote to Dhanaraj yesterday and he asked me to send his love to everyone. :)

message 48: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Jenny wrote: "Quick update: I wrote to Dhanaraj yesterday and he asked me to send his love to everyone. :)"

Thanks Jenny!

message 49: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Thank you, Jenny.

message 50: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 352 comments Jenny wrote: "Colleen wrote: "@Jenny - just a coincidence, funny when that happens. Let me know when you are starting it, so we can compare notes. Thanks for mentioning he is also a poet! I did not know that. Th..."

Definitely! I'm finishing up a book now so that should be good timing on The Cove. And totally understandable about The Lumninaries.....I wish you future luck. :)

« previous 1