Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Time: Hour 13

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mabel (new)

Mabel (friendlvr) | 7 comments Hour 13 with Mabel from thelifeof713.blogspot.com, see why I picked this hour ;)

I don't have the traditional weekend off of work and since on my time zone Dewey's 24hour read a thon always falls on a Saturday, the busiest day of the the week. I worked all morning meaning the first half of the read-a-thon.

What do you do/ have you done on a busy readathon day to have time with a book?

I tend to get to work early so I use that time to read. I use down time to read as well once I get home. It can be tough when everyone is home for the weekend though so if you are home today how do you find a quiet place to read, or are you able to read through anything?

message 2: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 146 comments Today was a crazy day stood in the stairwell and read for about 7 minutes.

message 3: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1882 comments I started my Readathon 2 hours early and plan on extending my time tomorrow. Today got disrupted because my grammy is in the hospital so I went with my mom to visit her. I did listen to my audiobook on the way to and from my mom's house though.

message 4: by GabsAboutBooks (new)

GabsAboutBooks If I'm enjoying the book enough I can read through anything. I once read at a party I wasn't enjoying. On days I'm working a 12 hour shift and know I won't get much reading done, audiobooks are the best thing. I can get close to two hours of reading while driving on my commute.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 12 comments It was optional for me to go into work today, so I decided to stay home and read.
I only live with 1 other person and if he's listening to something online it can be distracting, so I put on music to try to drown it out.

Otherwise it is quiet here and the only thing that's distracting is myself lol. I am very easy distracted by the laptop.

I didn't get started until about 11 AM my time today bc I overslept. So I'm thinking to go into 11 AM tomorrow to keep it 24 hours.

message 6: by Mabel (new)

Mabel (friendlvr) | 7 comments Newly wrote: "Today was a crazy day stood in the stairwell and read for about 7 minutes."

And the time tends to fly by, just as you get hooked you have to go back. Happens to me all the time.

message 7: by Mabel (new)

Mabel (friendlvr) | 7 comments Elyse wrote: "I started my Readathon 2 hours early and plan on extending my time tomorrow. Today got disrupted because my grammy is in the hospital so I went with my mom to visit her. I did listen to my audioboo..."

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother, but having company always helps people feel better. Starting a few hours early sounds like a good idea, and audiobooks are great to use when you're on the go.

message 8: by Mabel (new)

Mabel (friendlvr) | 7 comments Gabby (GabsAboutBooks) wrote: "If I'm enjoying the book enough I can read through anything. I once read at a party I wasn't enjoying. On days I'm working a 12 hour shift and know I won't get much reading done, audiobooks are the..."

Yes! I know the feeling if the book has me hooked I can definitely drown out the noise, but otherwise my mind tends to wander.

message 9: by Mabel (new)

Mabel (friendlvr) | 7 comments Rachel wrote: "It was optional for me to go into work today, so I decided to stay home and read.
I only live with 1 other person and if he's listening to something online it can be distracting, so I put on music..."

I hear ya, ha. I turned on my laptop and plan on using it for this whole hour, but turning it off right after. I have thought about reading while listening to a loop of calm music on YouTube, but I don't know if that would distract me too.

message 10: by Ana (new)

Ana (4nn4) It's only my son and me at home today. But he is 15 months and if I take a book, he wants it; if I take the e-reader, he wants it; if I play an audiobook on my phone, he wants it. So reading is not that easy with him around. So I just took him outside for a walk and listened to an audiobook. Most of my reading I'm doing now that he is sleeping. But it's 1:30 AM here, so I'm getting tired. He will wake up probably around 9 AM, so I have to get some sleep. 5-6 hours I'm thinking, but that is a quarter of the readathon. :(

message 11: by Mabel (new)

Mabel (friendlvr) | 7 comments Ana wrote: "It's only my son and me at home today. But he is 15 months and if I take a book, he wants it; if I take the e-reader, he wants it; if I play an audiobook on my phone, he wants it. So reading is not..."

Wow it's like they say being a mom is a 24/7 job. And I'm with you I am not staying up for the entire read-a-thon because if that were the case I'd end up sleeping 30 minutes before having to go back to work.

message 12: by Ana (new)

Ana (4nn4) Mabel wrote: "Ana wrote: "It's only my son and me at home today. But he is 15 months and if I take a book, he wants it; if I take the e-reader, he wants it; if I play an audiobook on my phone, he wants it. So re..."

Yeah.

I sometimes wish I would have found this readathon before I had my son. I could have read the whole 24 hours at least once. I wasn't working weekends and had noone to take care of. It would have been so easy. Maybe once my children are all grown up. :D Or at least at an age where there are more independent.

message 13: by Mabel (new)

Mabel (friendlvr) | 7 comments Ana wrote: "Mabel wrote: "Ana wrote: "It's only my son and me at home today. But he is 15 months and if I take a book, he wants it; if I take the e-reader, he wants it; if I play an audiobook on my phone, he w..."

Definitely, and at some point he might also participate with you, That sounds like something to look forward to. (:

message 14: by Rac (new)

Rac | 18 comments I have set aside the time to read for this event but because it is a Saturday, my spouse wants to interact with me periodically. I spent the morning doing his activity with him, now I get to read while he is off somewhere else.

message 15: by Cindy (new)

Cindy I have weekends off, no kids so it was easy to clear my Saturday schedule. My husband is a restaurant manager and usually works Saturday evenings. I also spent the morning doing spouses activities, then he went to work. The evening is mine, just had to cook supper and do the dishes.

message 16: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1882 comments Cindy wrote: "I have weekends off, no kids so it was easy to clear my Saturday schedule. My husband is a restaurant manager and usually works Saturday evenings. I also spent the morning doing spouses activities,..."

Wonderful!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.