Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Hour 12 - Book to Movie/TV

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wulfie (new)

Wulfie (wulfiethegreat) | 2 comments Hello, and welcome to hour 12! We're halfway there!

For this hour, let's talk about favourite book to movie/tv adaptions!

For me, I love the show Pretty Little Liars, but since I haven't read the books yet, I can't really count that.
So my favourite has to be the Perks of Being a Wallflower. I love the book, and I adore the movie!

So what are some of your favourites?

message 2: by GabsAboutBooks (new)

GabsAboutBooks Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
This is by far 1 of my favorite book to movie adaptations!

I'm also currently watching Shadowhunters TV show. It's not my favorite adaptation but it is the only TV show adaption I can think if at the moment.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 89 comments One of my favorite movies of all time, Fried Green Tomatoes, was a pretty good adaptation from the book Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 182 comments Is Harry Potter too obvious an answer? I love both the books & the movies, for they are different types of media & should not, in my opinion, be compared.

And, of course, there's the BBC Colin Firth version of Pride & Prejudice. ;-)

message 5: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Escalona (ajourneywelove) | 3 comments I love the anime Your Name (Kimi No Na Wa) and I know a novel and manga series came out after the anime, and a spinoff novel too. Would still be nice to know read them even though I have already seen the movie

message 6: by Elyse (last edited Apr 28, 2018 04:29PM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Outlander is a wonderful adaptation! And I think Game of Thrones is an amazing *companion* to the books. Shadowhunters on Freeform is really good. Way better than that crappy movie they did. lol. The 100 is wayyyyyy better than the books! Oh and The Princess Bride. One of the best movies EVER.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 89 comments This is probably sacrilegious of me to say on here, but... I was really disappointed in the Harry Potter movies. There I said it. I was a late-comer to Harry Potter, because as a teenager when they came out, they were "for kids" and "everyone was reading them" and I guess I thought I was too cool for that. Anyway, I didn't watch any of the movies until I had read the entire series. And I LOVED the books. The movies just left too much out. I'm probably in the tiny minority here, but I would like to see them redo the movies, but as a TV adaptation instead, so every chapter or so could be an episode. I know for many it would just be wrong to have different actors play their beloved characters, but I think they could do the books better justice with a TV show (a la Game of Thrones) rather than trying to cram each book into a 2-3 hour movie.

message 9: by Lupe (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 43 comments I don't know that I have a favorite. I'm too cynical/critical of them when Hollywood decides to do make them that I end up not ever really enjoying them as I should. I'm a huge Potter fan and while I loved the movies, I can always be critical of them and how much is just blatantly missing that it irks me lol. I think if I had to choose though, I would still pick them every time.

message 10: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 146 comments I'm gonna answer this in sections

Anime/Manga to Movie Lupin the 3rd Castle of Caglistro is great filmmaking that just so happens to be animated.Lupin The 3rd : Castle of Cagliostro, The - Complete Storyboards by Hayao Miyazaki Studio Ghibli

Book to Movie Color PurpleThe Color Purple
Alice Walkers story could have been squandered in the wrong hands and Steven Spielberg proves that he can do anything.

Book to TV Series Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy it's not perfect but its not trying to be.The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Best Film to a Book sometimes they make a book to fill plots holesleft in a movie The movie isnt good but the book adaptation wasnt horrible.Punisher: The Movie

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan (meggomustreadbooks) | 32 comments hunger games the first two books to film. harry potter. Outlander which I'm still reading. North and South the mini tv series based in the books by John Jakes. I am planning on reading the series this summer. I greatly up watching North and south on VHS and now I have the DVD, someone recently put up the whole series on YouTube so I have been lazy and watching it on there. I really hope the books are as good.

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan (meggomustreadbooks) | 32 comments the handmaid's tale is awesome

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.