Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
34 views
Archive > Top ten best TC books

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (cmmcgee_writer92) | 210 comments What true crime books would you say are in the top ten best?


message 2: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 614 comments "In Cold Blood" Truman Capote
"Fatal Vision" Joe McGinnis
"Final Vision" "
"People who Eat Darkness" Richard Richard Parry
"The Trials of Jeffery MacDonald" Errol Morris
"The Devil's Gentlemen" Harold Schechter
"Devil in the White City" Eric Larson
"Secrets in the Cellar" John Glatt
"Righteous Carnage" Timothy Benford
"As Nature Made Him" John Colapinto (Not about a crime in the legal sense
but certainly in a moral sense.)

And there are many more


message 3: by Fishface (last edited Apr 29, 2018 01:14PM) (new)

Fishface | 14110 comments Just 10? (gulp)

Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders
Dummy
Tears of Rage: From Grieving Father to Crusader for Justice: The Untold Story of the Adam Walsh Case
Where There Is Evil
The Road to Yuba City: A Journey into the Juan Corona Murders
Not Lost Forever: My Story of Survival
Killer Clown: The John Wayne Gacy Murders
The Girl in Poison Cottage
Where Shadows Linger: The Untold Story of the RCMP's Olsen Murders Investigation
Dial M: The Murder of Carol Thompson
A Little Girl Is Missing

This list could change without notice. There are so many good TCs and they're good in so many different ways, I mean seriously, if I had 10 books per category to work with I'd feel as if I were on firmer ground. I tried to make sure they were all completely unfictionalized (which rules out books like Echoes in the Darkness and In Cold Blood), not primarily biographies (which takes away books like American Eve: Evelyn Nesbit, Stanford White, the Birth of the "It" Girl and the Crime of the Century and Murder in the Synagogue), AND extremely well written AND rich enough to re-read again and again.


message 4: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 614 comments Hi, Fishface,

Interesting post and I agree with most of your points. Obviously you have read more widely than I, and have more experience in the field of criminality.
However I have a question: In what way do you feel "In Cold Blood" is fictionalized? Rather, I feel it fits into the genre called "creative non-fiction".


message 7: by Dixie (last edited Apr 29, 2018 05:15PM) (new)

Dixie | 23 comments “Evidence of Love” by John Bloom hasn’t been mentioned and it’s one of the best I’ve ever read!
Ditto on Koren’s recommendation of Lowell Caulfiel’s books “House of Secrets” and “Forever and Five Days” - terrific reads.
And I’ve never read a Kathryn Casey true crime that wasn’t great!


message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Casey | 66 comments Koren wrote: "A Descent Into Hell by Kathryn Casey
Killer Nurse by John Foxjohn
Columbine by Dave Cullen
Forever And Five Days by Lowell Caulfiel
[boo..."


Thank you, Koren.


message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Casey | 66 comments Dixie wrote: "“Evidence of Love” by John Bloom hasn’t been mentioned and it’s one of the best I’ve ever read!
Ditto on Koren’s recommendation of Lowell Caulfiel’s books “House of Secrets” and “Forever and Five ..."


Thank you, Dixie!


message 10: by Fishface (last edited Apr 30, 2018 10:29AM) (new)

Fishface | 14110 comments Hari wrote: "Hi, Fishface,

Interesting post and I agree with most of your points. Obviously you have read more widely than I, and have more experience in the field of criminality.
However I have a question: I..."


This was a big topic of discussion on Shelfari. The fictionalizing was minimal, but Capote kept his own role in the proceedings out of the book entirely -- there's a big gap -- and he collapsed several irl characters into composites in the book. I gather for instance that the Sheriff's wife who served Perry dinner in his holding cell was based on more than one person. This is why he called In Cold Blood a "nonfiction novel" rather than true crime. He considered it a completely new genre.


message 11: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14110 comments Oh, House Of Secrets is an outstanding one.


message 12: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3435 comments Mod
Dixie wrote: "“Evidence of Love” by John Bloom hasn’t been mentioned and it’s one of the best I’ve ever read!
Ditto on Koren’s recommendation of Lowell Caulfiel’s books “House of Secrets” and “Forever and Five ..."


Ditto Kathryn Casey!


message 13: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (cmmcgee_writer92) | 210 comments *takes notes for future reading* lol


message 14: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 614 comments Fishface wrote: "Hari wrote: "Hi, Fishface,

Interesting post and I agree with most of your points. Obviously you have read more widely than I, and have more experience in the field of criminality.
However I have ..."


That is what I thought. What I call creative non-fiction is probably close to what Capote meant by calling it a nonfiction novel


message 15: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14110 comments I really didn't dig Evidence of Love, personally, but to each his own I guess.


message 16: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Casey | 66 comments Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Dixie wrote: "“Evidence of Love” by John Bloom hasn’t been mentioned and it’s one of the best I’ve ever read!
Ditto on Koren’s recommendation of Lowell Caulfiel’s books “House of Secrets” and “For..."


Thank you!


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.