Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Hour 11 - Favorite book to recommend

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen Scott | 19 comments Hi there! My name is Jen, and I'll be your moderator for hour 11. Can you believe we're almost half-way through? I have been a librarian for almost 3 years now, so it is my job to recommend books to people. So for this hourly discussion I want to know: what is your favorite book to recommend to people?

My favorite author is Markus Zusak, and most everyone I talk to has heard of The Book Thief. So my favorite book to recommend is my other favorite of his, I Am the Messenger. It's about a young man who is living a mediocre life, when one day he gets a playing card sent to him in the mail with 3 addresses written on it. He visits these addresses to find out that someone at each of these locations needs help and he is the one that needs to do it. It's beautifully written and has such a powerful message.

So let's hear what you've got! I am looking forward to adding some more books to my TBR pile. :)

message 2: by J (last edited Apr 28, 2018 03:05PM) (new)

J L's Bibliomania (jlsbibliomania) | 9 comments I don't have favorites per se, but tend to recommend my recent 5-star reads. While I read many things, my recent favorites have all been audiobook YA and I've been recommending

The Hate U Give
The Raven Boys
Code Name Verity

P.S, I've tried to read The Book Thief several times, and just haven't been able to get into it, which just proves that tastes differ

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Whenever I recommend books, I always ask the person what they like to read and the length of books they usually read. I don't want to recommend The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson if they don't like reading clunkers or have a hard time getting through them.

The books I usually find myself recommending a lot are:
Rebecca
Before I Go to Sleep
The Way of Kings
Misery

message 4: by Elyse (last edited Apr 28, 2018 03:11PM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Ooooh I don't recommend books too often but my latest recs were Ready Player One and Redshirts to coworkers!

And I love love love talking about the Across the Universe and Under the Never Sky trilogies!

message 5: by GabsAboutBooks (new)

GabsAboutBooks A few books I recommend is, of course, the Harry Potter series then Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas, and Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy My favorite author is Daphne du Maurier. Right now I am reading The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley. I am really liking it because she has a haunting writing style and the setting is Cornwall, as she said in the book du Maurier country.

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 157 comments I try to tailor my recommendations to the person rather than just pimping out my own personal favourites. I often find it a bit difficult because any of my friends who read are often in to things that I'm not crazy about (chick lit or the male equivalent with some ex-special ops guy saving the world/girl/day). So for instance, for chick lit lovers I tend to mention something I think would be a bridge between what they like and something more literary, like The Time Traveler's Wife or Memoirs of a Geisha.

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen Scott | 19 comments J wrote: "I don't have favorites per se, but tend to recommend my recent 5-star reads. While I read many things, my recent favorites have all been audiobook YA and I've been recommending

[book:The Hate U Gi..."

Oo, The Raven Boys is one of my favorite YA series. Good picks!

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie Woodard | 5 comments I have 4 books I usually recommend. One is a very popular mystery, one is a love story set in World War II Russia that is not very well known but is AMAZING, one is a Christian Fiction love story, and one is a true story set in World War II Italy.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1) by Paullina Simons Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T. Sullivan

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen Scott | 19 comments Samantha wrote: "Whenever I recommend books, I always ask the person what they like to read and the length of books they usually read. I don't want to recommend The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson if they d..."

Good point! I always do a reference interview when I'm at work to make sure I'm recommending something they'll actually enjoy. :) And I haven't read the Stormlight Archives yet, but I've loved Sanderson's other books. I'm going to have to bump those up my TBR list.

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen Scott | 19 comments Elyse wrote: "Ooooh I don't recommend books too often but my latest recs were Ready Player One and Redshirts to coworkers!

And I love love love talking about the [book:Across the..."

Oo, I loved Across the Universe! I'm definitely going to have to read Under the Never Sky.

message 12: by Devon (new)

Devon (archivist_fox) | 80 comments Jen wrote: "Hi there! My name is Jen, and I'll be your moderator for hour 11. Can you believe we're almost half-way through? I have been a librarian for almost 3 years now, so it is my job to recommend books t..."

Hello Jen!! I am working on my MLIS while working in a library for about five years!! I love Reader's advisory questions!! Depending on what they are looking for I usually give different suggestions. (FYI: I read a lot more than my librarian co-workers and sometimes they ask for suggestions. Ha ha)

My favorite authors are Ursula Le Guin, Anne McCaffrey, Brian Jacques, Phillip Pullman, Haruki Murakami, David Mitchell and Roxane Gay. My last big favorite book was The Heart's Invisible Furies that I recommended to a co-worker. It looks like a beast of a book but I savored it as it progressed. I even got my co-workers to read it. ;)

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 533 comments Mod
I recommend Of Things Gone Astray, Simple Prayers, Rosehead, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and The Trouble with Goats and Sheep for just about anyone who is just looking for general recommendations. Not all my favorites are well suited to all readers, but these 5 books are all short enough and amazing enough that everyone should read them. :) I chime in with a lot of other titles on specific book recommendation request posts, too, of course, and it is always fun to see strangers falling in love with books I've suggested in any genre.

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen Scott | 19 comments Gabby (GabsAboutBooks) wrote: "A few books I recommend is, of course, the Harry Potter series then Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas, and Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco."

Oh, anytime I can talk about Harry Potter, I will take that opportunity. :) And I haven't read Throne of Glass yet, but I have read The Court of Thorn and Roses series by Maas. I'll have to look up Stalking Jack the Ripper.

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen Scott | 19 comments Cindy wrote: "My favorite author is Daphne du Maurier. Right now I am reading The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley. I am really liking it because she has a haunting writing style and the setting is..."

I have so many Daphne du Maurier books on my to-read list, but have yet to read one! I'm definitely going to have to get to that sooner rather than later. And The Rose Garden sounds intriguing.

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen Scott | 19 comments Sarah wrote: "I try to tailor my recommendations to the person rather than just pimping out my own personal favourites. I often find it a bit difficult because any of my friends who read are often in to things t..."

Oh yes, I always ask what the person enjoys before spouting off my recs. :) The hardest part is when someone answers with "Oh, I like anything!"

But I love that strategy to get someone to read something a little different than what they're used to, but still similar enough that they'll enjoy it.

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen Scott | 19 comments Katie wrote: "I have 4 books I usually recommend. One is a very popular mystery, one is a love story set in World War II Russia that is not very well known but is AMAZING, one is a Christian Fiction love story, ..."

Nice! I've only read Gone Girl out of these 4, but I'm definitely going to look up the other three. :)

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen Scott | 19 comments Devon wrote: "Jen wrote: "Hi there! My name is Jen, and I'll be your moderator for hour 11. Can you believe we're almost half-way through? I have been a librarian for almost 3 years now, so it is my job to recom..."

Hey Devon! That's awesome! We've all learned at our library what genres each staff member enjoys, so we can always get a second opinion based on what the patron likes. :)

And The Heart's Invisible Furies looks like an amazing book! I can't wait to pick that one up. Nice recs!

message 19: by Lupe (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 43 comments I mean Harry Potter at all times. But more recently, I will always recommend Neil Gaiman and just about everything he writes. I usually go for American Gods or Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch as starters.

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen Scott | 19 comments Jamie wrote: "I recommend Of Things Gone Astray, Simple Prayers, Rosehead, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and [book:The Trouble with Goats and Sheep|..."

I agree! It's the best feeling when someone likes what you've recommended and comes back for more. Nice picks. :)

message 21: by Jen (new)

Jen Scott | 19 comments Lupe wrote: "I mean Harry Potter at all times. But more recently, I will always recommend Neil Gaiman and just about everything he writes. I usually go for American Gods or [boo..."

Agreed! I could talk about Harry Potter all day, everyday. :) And Neil Gaiman is a great choice! I have yet to read those two of his, but my co-workers have been reading Good Omens, and it's making me want to read it! I love listening to his books on audio because Neil Gaiman reading his books is glorious.

message 22: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 146 comments My favorite writer to suggest to ppl is Robert Sheckley. He is a mad cap of a writer. Always funny and never duplicated

message 23: by Jen (new)

Jen Scott | 19 comments Newly wrote: "My favorite writer to suggest to ppl is Robert Sheckley. He is a mad cap of a writer. Always funny and never duplicated"

I've never read Sheckley! I will have to check some of his stuff out.

message 24: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (totallyshelfaware) | 10 comments Samantha wrote: "Whenever I recommend books, I always ask the person what they like to read and the length of books they usually read. I don't want to recommend The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson if they d..."

Stormlight Archive is such a good read, though. :P

message 25: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Jen wrote: "Oo, I loved Across the Universe! I'm definitely going to have to read Under the Never Sky..."

It's so good!!

message 26: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (totallyshelfaware) | 10 comments Even though I try to ask people what they're in the mood for before I make a recommendation, books that always seem to go down well are The Princess Bride and Scott Pilgrim the Complete Series.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 89 comments I have to agree with those who have said anything by Neil Gaiman. He is my favorite author. Another author I love, who is definitely not as well-known, is Joe R. Lansdale. His book The Bottoms is excellent, and I greatly enjoy his Hap and Leonard series that begins with Savage Season

message 28: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Tanya wrote: "Even though I try to ask people what they're in the mood for before I make a recommendation, books that always seem to go down well are The Princess Bride and [book:Scott Pilgrim the C..."

*swoon* I love The Princess Bride!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.