Amazon Kindle discussion

Problems sending mobi to Kindle

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elke (new)

Elke (misspider) | 7 comments I receive a lot of mobi files from authors, which I always send to my Kindle (Paperwhite) account via email.

However, recently I have problems loading mobi files (some, not all) onto my Kindle and amazon replies with a generic "A problem with your document(s) sent to ..." message.
Today, amazon even rejected a mobi file I purchased on smashwords (and thus expected to work correctly).

Has amazon changed something? Are there new or stricter rules for mobi files to be accepted?

My current workaround is to load the mobi file into Calibre, convert it to mobi (again) and send the newly created file to amazon which is then accepted. But that is a very circuitous method I would understandably like to avoid.

I also tried copying the mobi file via USB, but then the book will not show on my Kindle and the search function won't find it either.

Anybody have similar problems? Any better solutions known?

message 2: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2679 comments Elke wrote: "My current workaround is to load the mobi file into Calibre, convert it to mobi (again) and send the newly created file to amazon which is then accepted. But that is a very circuitous method I would understandably like to avoid."

So far, I've had to do that with EVERY book I've gotten from Smashwords. It's one reason I don't use them unless I have to.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 365 comments I don't use SW - but they aren't using any kind of DRM or anyting are they - that is what that error msg to me may indicate

try emailing the mobi and putting convert in the subject header and see if that helps

message 4: by Claire (new)

Claire Martin (miss_martin) Download Calibre:

http://calibre-ebook.com/download

And you can use it to convert the file to an AZW3 file which you will have no problem uploading to your Kindle...

message 5: by Elke (new)

Elke (misspider) | 7 comments Dee wrote: "I don't use SW - but they aren't using any kind of DRM or anyting are they - that is what that error msg to me may indicate

try emailing the mobi and putting convert in the subject header and see ..."

convert doesn't work either. The problem can be a defective mobi, a missing cover and/or toc, etc. Unfortunately, amazon is not very specific about it but sends out a generic message for all cases.

message 6: by Elke (new)

Elke (misspider) | 7 comments Claire wrote: "Download Calibre:

http://calibre-ebook.com/download

And you can use it to convert the file to an AZW3 file which you will have no problem uploading to your Kindle..."

That would be almost the same as I do, with azw instead of mobi. Can I send azw to Kindle via email as well? Have to look that up...

message 7: by Elke (new)

Elke (misspider) | 7 comments From smashwords: "We only accept .epub and .doc files - .mobi files are created from the .doc files via Meatgrinder."

Good to know. Guess I will stay with my current MOD - try the mobi and otherwise use Calibre for conversion.

message 8: by Elke (new)

Elke (misspider) | 7 comments Randy wrote: "So far, I've had to do that with EVERY book I've gotten from Smashwords. It's one reason I don't use them unless I have to. "

In the past I used SW only with free stuff, but this time they had a 50% off promo I couldn't resist

I just wondered if there were some recent changes with kindle-mobi compatibility (maybe with the latest kindle update) or if I was just lucky that all my previous SW books worked so far. Also, I wasn't aware SW doesn't fully support mobi format but only offers it as a bonus but without support.

message 9: by Yamasitasatomi (new)

Yamasitasatomi | 22 comments I think maybe Amazon now take some actions to forbid us transfering non-amazon-mobi files to Kindle. The other reason I could think out is that some of your mobi files are not compatible with Kindle mobi, different from common mobi.

So you can only convert mobi to mobi again. If you think calibre is difficult to use, try some easy-to-use tools please.

http://www.epubor.com/ebook-converter...

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 365 comments I transferred something just yesterday - used my email and it came through fine

message 11: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Burnett | 1 comments I just today started having this problems with some new books I acquired. I'm doing the mobi -> mobi conversion in caliber to make it work.

message 12: by Ayman (new)

Ayman Teaman (aymanteaman) | 4 comments Hi ^^

I'm facing this problem with some of the books I have. Do I have to send my books through amazon in order for 'share' feature to work?

I usually uses calibre to manage my ebooks (just easier).

message 13: by Eric (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 101 comments Ayman,

I have no idea what the "share" feature is, but as far as transferring Kindle-compatible books from non-AMZ sources to my Kindle (I still keep my Kindle Keyboard up to date, as well as my new Kindle Voyage), I avoid the whole email thing with AMZ.

For example, I'm a scifi addict and Baen lets you buy monthly downloads for $18. What you get every month is two to four of their latest books, plus 4-6 of their older books...sometimes quite a few years back, sometimes only a few. You can DL them in mobi and just about every other ebook-compatible format you can think of.

So I download the Baen mobis to my computer, hook my Kindle up with USB, and take a minute or two to transfer. The last time I tried sending something to my Kindle via email to AMZ (even without the issue of converting) I was told it would take at least 4 hours to be available. And then I still had to manually download it to the Kindle.

For me, USB is fast and easy.

Just a thought.

Eric

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann Schwader (annkschwader) | 54 comments I also use USB for transferring mobi books to my Voyage, with no problems. They show up as Documents, not as Books. (I think I've been copying them to the Documents folder to start with.)

BTW, great tip about the Baen program, Eric! May have to check into that.

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 365 comments By share - do you mean loan?

message 16: by Ayman (last edited Feb 03, 2015 01:57PM) (new)

Ayman Teaman (aymanteaman) | 4 comments Hi! Thanks for the replies.

Sorry I meant something else.

I also add books from non AMZ sources via usb, fast and easy.
The problem is, if I try to quote or update reading progress of these books on my kindle, I get an error message. It just doesn't work.

I was hoping there is a solution to this.
P.s. the way to update on kindle is by clicking share, so that is what I meant.

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 365 comments I would guess because they are coded as documents not books

message 18: by Ayman (new)

Ayman Teaman (aymanteaman) | 4 comments Any idea how to change the coding?

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 365 comments that is just how amazon deals with documents sent to the account - they are saved as documents, not books - it is something that they would have to address

Mystereity Reviews (mystereity) I use Calibre as others have recommended. When I convert (or, in some cases, re-convert) files to MOBI, I click the Convert button, go to the MOBI output tab, change MOBI filetype to Both and then in the personal doc tag, change it to [EBOK]

I've never had a problem loading a book onto any Kindle doing it this way.

message 21: by Eric (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 101 comments Dee wrote: "that is just how amazon deals with documents sent to the account - they are saved as documents, not books - it is something that they would have to address"

Just a thought: I'm not sure that AMZ saves anything as a file-type called "documents." With every Kindle I have ever had, when you plug it into your computer with a USB cable, it becomes another hard drive, albeit external. There is a file folder called "documents" and I suspect the word is used because you can read PDFs on your Kindle and PDFs are not statistically likely to be books, though that is, of course possible.

Everything I've ever seen in any of the Kindle "document" folders is something to do with ebook formats, either mobi, or the extension used by AMZ (azw3 or something now?), and associated tiny files I have no understanding at all about.

So if there's a problem emailing a book to AMZ to in turn be available for download to your Kindle (or whatever) I suspect the problem may lie in the file format, rather than where it's going to be stored.

As I said, just a thought.

Eric

message 22: by Ayman (last edited Feb 04, 2015 08:00AM) (new)

Ayman Teaman (aymanteaman) | 4 comments Tam wrote: "I use Calibre as others have recommended. When I convert (or, in some cases, re-convert) files to MOBI, I click the Convert button, go to the MOBI output tab, change MOBI filetype to Both and th..."

I tried doing reconvert, I followed what you suggested (even clicked enable sharing option in caliber @ mobi output), with no success. I still get the error message :(

One example of a book I'm trying to add and be able to update via kindle is "https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...", this book is available freely.

@Eric & Dee
Thanks for the helpful tips. I am struggling to make it work, won't give up!

message 23: by David (new)

David Brook | 2 comments One answer: The Document Converter, has a cube on it. 2.99 and well worth it. Mobi to Pdf. Impossible to open a mobi usually. Opened from es file explorer and it opens in kindle then loses the book in the kindle reader when you return. The Document Converter preserves the text, images of the mobi and also the index/toc with full search.

message 24: by David (new)

David Brook | 2 comments I forgot, Al Reader, free on google play opens mobi and is still indexed with pictures. Also if you send the mobi via email to your kindle email it will work.

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann Schwader (annkschwader) | 54 comments What I've been doing with mobi files from non-Amazon sources is to save them to a folder on my PC, then send each one as I need it to my Voyage (or 2nd gen Fire tablet) via the device's email addresses. This hasn't failed yet, for me.

message 26: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kayjenx) | 4 comments I know this is an old thread but... I was having the same issue. I reconverted the mobi book to mobi (both) versions (old and new). It defaults the tag as [PDOC] but I changed it to [EBOK] like someone here suggested. I then emailed the .mobi version (not the ".original_mobi") to my kindle and now it shows up in my Manage Content. I don't have Wifi right now so I am not sure if it downloads to the kindle but that is progress. I have a Kindle Voyage.

message 27: by Chelle (new)

Chelle | 1 comments I am having the same problem. I thought perhaps it was because most times the ones rejected were all caps .MOBI instead of lowercase. My 50 year old brain is not as sharp as it used to be, I remember being able to change the extension on a prior computer but can't figure out on the Windows 10 system. Also I am going to try reconverting thru calibre again. Frustrating!

message 28: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 418 comments Chelle wrote: "I am having the same problem. I thought perhaps it was because most times the ones rejected were all caps .MOBI instead of lowercase. My 50 year old brain is not as sharp as it used to be, I rememb..."

right click on the file name and select Rename from the menu and you can change it to a lower case mobi. And no need to convert mobi files to anything, as they can be read on both Kindles and Fires w/o conversion

message 29: by Marie (new)

Marie | 10 comments I have a kindle fire 7 and have had no problems downloading a .mobi file from author friends. They load right up without any hiccups. Then again it might be because I had a major update for my kindle fire about 8 months ago and that could be why it runs smoothly with the .mobi files. :)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I'm having issues last night - didn't know it had to be renamed into lower case so will try that next.

message 31: by Kelley (last edited Feb 08, 2019 06:21AM) (new)

Kelley | 1 comments Mystereity Reviews wrote: I click the Convert button, go to the MOBI output tab, change MOBI filetype to Both and then in the personal doc tag, change it to [EBOK]

Thank you so much for this tip! I have been using Calibre to create mobis from pdfs, but couldn't get any of them to show up on my device using Send to Kindle or via email. Using email and "convert" worked, but then you lose the cover and the opportunity to edit. But replacing [PDOC] with [EBOK] did the trick! So glad to finally have this mystery solved.