Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Flipped- Wendelin Van Draanen 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin A I started to read the same books my older son did in order to get him to read and have something to talk about. I just finished Flipped as now my younger son has joined in and he recommend this book. It is a coming of age young romance. It was different than the books I was used to for my choice and what my other son would pick and kind of surprised my younger one would enjoy it so much, it doesn't match his personality.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Thank you for this. I thought I'd read it, but I haven't yet... and it does look like something I'd enjoy, too.

I'm thrilled that you're reading and talking with the boys. I wish my sons and I still did that, but they're grown now and just don't read much.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9352 comments I work tirelessly to get my three boys to read, And I read whatever they’re reading in school. I’ve also been reading the entire Harry Potter series with each of them Word for Word. Which they wouldn’t want me to tell you. But I wanted to make sure they didn’t miss a word of it. Currently reading lord of the flies. My eldest illiterate didn’t care for ready player one or bear town. He’s now just started the hunger games. This is been such a lifetime struggle. But I hear some people grow into it later. I have the best shot with my youngest, my second grader, who is reading better and more at this age than any of the other two ever did. I’ve sort of lost them to sports. I have a ninth, seventh, and a second grader. I’d love to hear it if there something you think that they might like.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin A Amy wrote: "I work tirelessly to get my three boys to read, And I read whatever they’re reading in school. I’ve also been reading the entire Harry Potter series with each of them Word for Word. Which they woul..."

For my boys it was their 6th grade teacher that helped open the door. I older son really likes series. We are currently reading a series by Andrew Klavan. We like to try and guess the outcome. We started doing this with Wonder. We read Enders and Starters. Losers take all, Shattered glass. My younger son likes more non fiction, but is currently into Nazis/Jewish books. He is currently reading refugee. Runway is another one I put on my TBR from him. They both like the Compound series. Hope this helps.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin A Robin wrote: "Amy wrote: "I work tirelessly to get my three boys to read, And I read whatever they’re reading in school. I’ve also been reading the entire Harry Potter series with each of them Word for Word. Whi..."

I have a 6th grader and freshman.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9352 comments Robin, we have that in common with our kids ages. I wondered actually, I thought maybe when my 15 year old was a little older, if he would like Here I Am. I bought it for my husband and father. Maybe your son gives it a test run?

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin A Amy wrote: "Robin, we have that in common with our kids ages. I wondered actually, I thought maybe when my 15 year old was a little older, if he would like Here I Am. I bought it for my husband and father. May..."

I found several books with that title, who is the author.

message 8: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments I loved this book (gave it 5 stars) and love even more that it was my daughter that introduced me to Van Draanen - her other books are good too, especially Runaway. But Flipped is still the best I think. The movie was not bad either, though I don't think it quite captured the subtleties in the book.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9352 comments The book Here I Am that I was referring to was written by Jonathan Safean Foer. It made my top 10 last year. It’s about four different generations of a Jewish family, with total different iterations of experience. It was actually really interesting. And how each of them reacted to an imagined cultural event, not to mention interesting dynamics in the family. I opened it up and was entranced by page 1. So many things to think about that were interesting, End it was also entertaining.

message 10: by annapi (last edited Apr 30, 2018 10:33AM) (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Robin wrote: "My younger son likes more non fiction, but is currently into Nazis/Jewish books."

He might like The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. It's fiction, and what lowered my rating was the inaccuracies in it regarding the concentration camps, but it was poignant even if sad.

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin A annapi wrote: "Robin wrote: "My younger son likes more non fiction, but is currently into Nazis/Jewish books."

He might like The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. It's fiction, and what lowered my rating ..."

I know one of my boys read it, I will have to check on that. I forgot about that one.

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin A Amy wrote: "The book Here I Am that I was referring to was written by Jonathan Safean Foer. It made my top 10 last year. It’s about four different generations of a Jewish family, with total different iteration..."

Ok thanks I will check it out

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin A annapi wrote: "I loved this book (gave it 5 stars) and love even more that it was my daughter that introduced me to Van Draanen - her other books are good too, especially Runaway. But Flipped is still the best I ..."

My son said the same thing he liked flipped way more than Runaway.