What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Tale of Halcyon Crane
This topic is about The Tale of Halcyon Crane
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Adult or YA fiction: woman travels/visits relative’s home and sees ghost girls outside. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

NerdGirl | 4 comments The woman traveled to a family home (I think) on an island (maybe A Great Lakes type where you have to take a ferry). She saw girl(s) on the property that turned out to be ghosts. The girls would sing a haunting song (maybe something like that old song...oh little playmate, come out and play with me and bring your dollies three) maybe while they were swinging. I think she usually saw them outside. At the end, it was winter or very cold and raining. She followed them down to a cliff or rocks by the water and somehow during this, she realized how they died.

I think there was a ribbon or something she always saw on the girl(s).

I think I remember some reference to the back door (kitchen door?) of the house.

If I’m remembering right, she had to get around on a bike because of it being an island and not bringing your cars there.

Ugh! I hope that’s enough that someone will know what I mean!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40686 comments Mod
NerdGirl, as you saw in the popup box when you posted your comment, please tell us around what year you read the book. This makes your query a lot easier to solve.

NerdGirl | 4 comments Likely read between 2012-2015. Not sure how new it was at the time.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36622 comments Mod
NerdGirl, can you tell us more about the woman - why she travels to relative's home (e.g., summer vacation, funeral, relationship breakup); her job/skills/interests; married/single/etc.; family/friends; etc.?

What's the genre or tone - mystery, psychological thriller, romantic suspense, somber/sad, etc.?

message 5: by Kris (last edited Apr 29, 2018 01:36PM) (new)

The Tale of Halcyon Crane by Wendy Webb matches your description.

Some Amazon reviewers say, "Hallie makes the decision to stay on the island and moves into her mother's house. While there, she sees and experiences things that worry her, like a small child in a white dress who sings a childhood song to her." | "... giggling and whispering ghosts, and, most of all, their spooky, slightly sinister, singing..." | "They call the ghosts, the ghosts come and leave ribbons..." | "Say, say, oh, playmate! Come out and play with me. And bring your dollies three. Climb up my apple tree!" (quote via https://books.google.com/books?id=UZm...)

Google search - site:www.goodreads.com "fantasy" "ghost girls" island ribbon sing

message 6: by Andria (last edited Apr 29, 2018 01:40PM) (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
The Tale of Halcyon Crane, maybe?

Edit: whoops, Kris just beat me to it!

NerdGirl | 4 comments That’s it....thank you both!!!!!

NerdGirl | 4 comments So funny because I googled such a close match to those words and the amazon description never came up. I will sleep better tonight without the mystery of that title nagging me! :)

message 9: by Kris (last edited Apr 29, 2018 06:29PM) (new)

Great! Glad we could help. I definitely got lucky with that Google search.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Tale of Halcyon Crane (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Wendy Webb (other topics)