Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge discussion

2018 Read Harder Challenge > Film Adaptations

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tawn (new)

Tawn Marshall | 4 comments Hi, Good Readers! My Read Harder Book Group plans a movie night before we break for the summer. Previously we have read and watched Julie & Julia (food memoir, 2016) and Snow Falling on Cedars (banned/challenged, 2017)

Do any of you have suggestions for good film adaptations that fit into one of the 2018 challenges? Thanks!

message 2: by Bonnie G. (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1372 comments Ooh, good question. Even limiting to movies I have seen, there are a lot that come to mind immeditely. Black Panther is obviously very current and works for the comic by a a person of color challenge. In Cold Blood was good for the true crime challenge (Robert Blake is SO GOOD) or My Friend Dahmer which also works for a comic not by one of the big houses. Brokeback Mountain or East of Eden for the western prompt (EofE is also an Oprah book). Other good Oprah book/movies are The Road, House of Sand and Fog (never read the book for this one, but its a really great film), Anna Karenina, or if you want something short The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. The Diary of Miss Jane Pittman for the heroine over 60 category.

message 3: by Tawn (new)

Tawn Marshall | 4 comments Great suggestions! Thank you!

message 4: by Doris (new)

Doris (webgeekstress) Hard to improve on Bonnie's recommendations, but I will add that As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride (celebrity memoir) leads naturally to The Princess Bride.

message 5: by Tawn (new)

Tawn Marshall | 4 comments Oh, that is an exciting idea!

message 6: by Allie (new)

Allie (allieeveryday) I'm currently reading Fahrenheit 451 for my didn't-finish-assigned-book, and I know a movie version is coming out soon, starring Michael B. Jordan *fans self*.

message 7: by Tawn (new)

Tawn Marshall | 4 comments I am so excited for this- it's one of my very favourite books!

message 8: by Bonnie G. (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1372 comments Allie wrote: "I'm currently reading Fahrenheit 451 for my didn't-finish-assigned-book, and I know a movie version is coming out soon, starring Michael B. Jordan *fans self*."

Michael B. Jordan is a perfect choice for Guy!

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie | 5 comments Billy Crystal's 700 Sundays (celebrity memoir) had a Broadway run and was also adapted into a film.

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth | 44 comments A Wrinkle in Time a children's book published before 1980, is a good one. True Grit for a western. (I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but its been recommended by a very good friend of mine.)

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth | 44 comments Bonnie wrote: "Allie wrote: "I'm currently reading Fahrenheit 451 for my didn't-finish-assigned-book, and I know a movie version is coming out soon, starring Michael B. Jordan *fans self*."

Michael B. Jordan is ..."

Both my dad and I were very excited for this movie since Fahrenheit 451 is his favorite book. We both loved this adaption, and Michael B. Jordan was spot on!