What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Tell me about books that have funny or absurd sounding titles

Comments Showing 1-50 of 149 (149 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary | 35 comments I am looking for books with funny, humorous, absurd, or shocking titles. It does not matter what the book is about. If the combination of jacket art with title make it funny, that would work, too. Thanks!

message 5: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
The title of this book always makes me giggle because of the implicit irony: How to Read a Book -- I mean, if you don't know how to read a book in the first place, how much help will it be to read a book on the subject?

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 252 comments Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before

I don't know why but I like the title of this one. That's one of my favourite title tropes, let me see if I have any more.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary | 35 comments These are all great! Thanks!

message 10: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 373 comments Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas and other books in the series

message 12: by Scott (new)

Scott Any of Douglas Adams' titles.

message 13: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
Frisco Pigeon Mambo

The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific

(both of these are hilarious and I highly recommend, BTW)

message 16: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1247 comments Gerd wrote: "A few that made my want-to-read based on their title:
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet
..."

Your instincts are spot on for the first book in your list. The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet is excellent, definitely worth a read if you like scifi.

message 17: by Aerulan (last edited Apr 28, 2018 02:37PM) (new)

message 21: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6966 comments Mod
OMG Rosa--thank you. And to my nephew Albert I leave the Island what I won off Fatty Hagan in a poker game ... is one that I read a long time ago and had forgotten all about until you mentioned it. (Wondering if she can find a copy of it anywhere now.)

Bimbos of the Death Sun and the cover Bimbos of the Death Sun by Sharyn McCrumb despite the title, and cover this is a mystery.

Zombies of the Gene Pool (Jay Omega, #2) by Sharyn McCrumb again, despite title, it has no zombies and is a mystery.

Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett

Mark of the Moderately Vicious Vampire by Lionel Fenn

Time The Semi-Final Frontier by Lionel Fenn

Kent Montana and the Reasonably Invisible Man by Lionel Fenn

Kent Montana and the Really Ugly Thing from Mars by Lionel Fenn

668 Neighbor of the Beast by Lionel Fenn

message 23: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "OMG Rosa--thank you. And to my nephew Albert I leave the Island what I won off Fatty Hagan in a poker game ... is one that I read a long time ago and had forgotten all about until you..."

That’s great, Ann! I obtained a copy through my college interlibrary loan. That’s my favorite thing about college: I can get almost any book in the world.
You offered some good titles, too.

message 24: by Lou (new)

Lou Rocama | 437 comments Hot Pterodactyl Boyfriend
Fancy Coffins to Make Yourself

Also, I'm shocked that no one has listed this masterpiece:

Birth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!! by Eliyzabeth Yanne Strong-Anderson
Birth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!!

(although I would never recommend actually reading it)

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 252 comments Actually any of the books in the series My Teacher is an Alien would work. My favourite personally was My Teacher Fried My Brains.

message 31: by Lou (new)

Lou Rocama | 437 comments For the intersection of "people who do cross stitch" and "people who stalk like Benedict Cumberbatch":

Benedict Cumberstitch: Cross Stitch Mr Cumberbatch in 15 Great Patterns

message 32: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1205 comments Don't Talk Back to Your Vampire by Michelle Bardsley Don't Talk Back To Your Vampire

The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death by Daniel Pinkwater The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death

Charles Fort Never Mentioned Wombats by Gene DeWeese Charles Fort Never Mentioned Wombats

message 35: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1205 comments The Hoboken Chicken Emergency The Hoboken Chicken Emergency

message 37: by Ingo (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 640 comments And to my nephew Albert I leave the Island what I won off Fatty Hagan in a poker game ... by David Forrest And to my nephew Albert I leave the Island what I won off Fatty Hagan in a poker game ...
Recommended funny short novel/novella, OOP, but has since been published as an e-book My review

message 39: by Lee (new)

Lee Kuivinen | 25 comments I was going to mention HOW TO READ A BOOK but somebody beat me to it. So I'll just bring up THIS IS A BOOK by Demetri Martin.
My brothers and joked about my father's copy of HOW TO READ A BOOK. I figured that it made the assumption that you already know how to read newspapers, magazines, etc. I also remember Ellen Peck's book.

message 40: by Mary (new)

Mary | 35 comments These are all great!

message 41: by Pamela (last edited May 01, 2018 10:45AM) (new)

Pamela Love | 1205 comments Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!

message 42: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6966 comments Mod
Many of Martha Grimes mysteries have weird titles. The Lamorna Wink is an example. They are usually named for an historic pub in the U.K. (my personal fav for titles is I Am the Only Running Footman)

message 43: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynfox) | 180 comments The Haunted Vagina

Guy has girl with a vagina that is a literal gateway to another world. There are Tony people in there and, if I remember correctly, I think the woman’s cycles and activities involving said vagina effect what goes on in the world inside. Definitely weird, but it really had me wanting to know what would happen next when I read it.

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 252 comments Jessica wrote: "The Haunted Vagina

Guy has girl with a vagina that is a literal gateway to another world. There are Tony people in there and, if I remember correctly, I think the woman’s cycles and ..."

Actually most titles from that author would suffice for this topic, I feel. But you can't say that they don't fit the plots.

message 46: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (morgsbooks) Bleakboy and Hunter stand out in the rain- Steven Herrick
Bring me the head of Ivy Pocket- Caleb Krisp (3rd in the series)

message 47: by Keith (last edited May 24, 2018 12:28AM) (new)

Keith | 223 comments This list has lots of interesting/amusing/wacky titles that sound like they should be bands or albums: There Ought To Be A Band.

Some particularly amusing ones:
The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse (most/all of Robert Rankin's books have funny titles)
The Human Stain
Electric Jesus Corpse

Another list: Interesting Titles

Standouts:
The Woman Who Died a Lot
No-One Ever Has Sex On A Tuesday
Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Frontlines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture

message 48: by Heather (new)

Heather McC (heather-mcc) | 72 comments This YA book was a real hoot for me (based on title and artwork) - the book is a great read as well
Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #1) by Louise Rennison

message 50: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 26 comments The Hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy books all have quite funny titles.

« previous 1 3