Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Hour 5: Comforting Favorites

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments Happy Readathon Hour 5!

What are you favorite books to re-read or turn to when you need comforting?

For whatever reason, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is my go-to book when I'm feeling upset/angry/overwhelmed. Something about Harry's pain and anger in that book is so comforting and familiar to me in times of need.

We all have those certain books that give us exactly what we need at the time of reading, and I can't wait to hear about yours!

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Peltz (phantasma_reads) | 4 comments I’ve slowly been rereading some childhood favorites, but at the same time sharing them with my 10 year old daughter. This year we read The BFG and The Phantom Tollbooth. I also read A Wrinkle in Time independently and have From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler on my TBR for today! 🖤

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna | 10 comments I love returning to Gregor the Overlander and the whole Underland Chronicles series every couple years to remind me why I love reading so much. At this point, I know the story so well that it's an easy and nostalgic read for me and it's always so much fun (even if the story gets a bit dark).

message 4: by Mel (new)

Mel | 25 comments I don’t think I really have something like that? I’m shocked :O maybe Harry Potter (but for me it’s Prisoner of Azkaban) or Lord of the Rings; or A Court of Mist and Fury and Heir of Fire, those two have a very special place in my heart <3

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie Woodard | 5 comments The Bronze Horseman series. It is not well known, but it is probably the first book I would recommend to anybody. A love story set in Worlf War II Russia. It makes me cry every time

message 6: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments Amanda wrote: "I’ve slowly been rereading some childhood favorites, but at the same time sharing them with my 10 year old daughter. This year we read The BFG and The Phantom Tollbooth. I also read A Wrinkle in Ti..."

That's an awesome thing to share with your daughter! Re-reading childhood favorites (or reading ones I never got to as a child) is such fun experience. I recently read and loved the Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library group of books, but couldn't stop thinking about how much childhood me would have loved them!

message 7: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments Anna wrote: "I love returning to Gregor the Overlander and the whole Underland Chronicles series every couple years to remind me why I love reading so much. At this point, I know the story so well..."

That is such a great thing to do to remind you of your love of reading! I also find my favorite childhood books bring back feeling for me too. I haven't read that series, but had always heard of it growing up. Just added it to my TBR list! I'm trying to get more into the fantasy/sci-fi genre, and have found starting with younger aged books has helped hook me into the genre!

message 8: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments Abookfangirl wrote: "I don’t think I really have something like that? I’m shocked :O maybe Harry Potter (but for me it’s Prisoner of Azkaban) or Lord of the Rings; or A Court of Mist and Fury and Heir of Fire, those tw..."

All great choices!! Have you ever been surprised at how much a certain book stayed with you or made you think of it after reading?

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane | 36 comments Mine would be Anne of Green Gables and I Capture the Castle! There is something so comforting about the cast of characters and the rural setting, but most importantly I love the goodness and idealism of the heroines - they are precisely why I find reading so inspiring.

message 10: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments Katie wrote: "The Bronze Horseman series. It is not well known, but it is probably the first book I would recommend to anybody. A love story set in Worlf War II Russia. It makes me cry every time"

Holy cow, that book sounds incredible! Most definitely just added to my TBR. I always find it the mark of some great writing if it can make a reader cry! Shows a deep connection to the story and characters to be able to feel a loss or sadness so fully while reading. What are your thoughts on books that make you cry?

message 11: by Biblio_philia (new)

Biblio_philia (biblio_philia_germany) The one and only Mary Poppins

message 12: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments Jane wrote: "Mine would be Anne of Green Gables and I Capture the Castle! There is something so comforting about the cast of characters and the rural setting, but most importantly I lov..."

I love that! I read an article once on how reading increases an ability for empathy, because you've come to understand so many different lives and points of view while reading.

message 13: by GabsAboutBooks (new)

GabsAboutBooks Abookfangirl wrote: "I don’t think I really have something like that? I’m shocked :O maybe Harry Potter (but for me it’s Prisoner of Azkaban) or Lord of the Rings; or A Court of Mist and Fury and Heir of Fire, those tw..."

Definitely Harry Potter is my go to comfort reads! My favorite is also Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. ACOMAF is also a great re-read!

message 14: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments The Tales of Beatrix Potter or Alice in Wonderland. Don't ask me why but I love to revisit them over and over again. One will be in my pile during the readathon.

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (itazzx) | 4 comments It always feels good to go back to Harry Potter. I'm vicariously reading it through my partner, who picked up the half-blood prince for this readathon :P

message 16: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments Julia wrote: "The one and only Mary Poppins"

Such a classic!! Great choice. Do you prefer the original first book, or the entire series?

message 17: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 576 comments I find it comforting to pull out a Nancy Drew mystery in the wee hours of the readathon when I want something "less challenging". These were some of the first books that started off my lifelong love of reading (and mysteries).

message 18: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments Shannan wrote: "The Tales of Beatrix Potter or Alice in Wonderland. Don't ask me why but I love to revisit them over and over again. One will be in my pile during the readathon."

I love that! I'm also drawn to my favorite books, but often don't have a definitive "why" for loving them so much either. I just love them.

message 19: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments Gabby (GabsAboutBooks) wrote: "Abookfangirl wrote: "I don’t think I really have something like that? I’m shocked :O maybe Harry Potter (but for me it’s Prisoner of Azkaban) or Lord of the Rings; or A Court of Mist and Fury and H..."

What part of Prisoner of Azkaban drew you in the most to make it your favorite?

message 20: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments Rebecca wrote: "It always feels good to go back to Harry Potter. I'm vicariously reading it through my partner, who picked up the half-blood prince for this readathon :P"

Great idea!! I got a friend to read HP for the first time last year, and loved living the books again through talking about them with her!

message 21: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments Ann A wrote: "I find it comforting to pull out a Nancy Drew mystery in the wee hours of the readathon when I want something "less challenging". These were some of the first books that started off my lifelong lov..."

Nancy Drew was my first mystery series too! My dad used to give me the next book in the series for every birthday/christmas/holiday when I was younger to build my collection. The Sign of the Twisted Candles scared me so much as a kid, but I loved feeling that emotion just from reading words on a page.

message 22: by Devon (new)

Devon (archivist_fox) | 80 comments Rebecca wrote: "It always feels good to go back to Harry Potter. I'm vicariously reading it through my partner, who picked up the half-blood prince for this readathon :P"

Beatrix Potter's books were a big part of my childhood. I loved the books and loved the little-animated movies based on them. I have been longing to re-read those books again.

I don't really have a lot of time to re-read favorites. I did re-read one of my favorites last year, The Neverending Story and some others for a Retro Re-Reads Challenge. I hope to re-read some of my childhood favorites after school is finished and I have gotten through some of my tbr backlog. :D

message 23: by Mel (new)

Mel | 25 comments Abbey wrote: "Abookfangirl wrote: "I don’t think I really have something like that? I’m shocked :O maybe Harry Potter (but for me it’s Prisoner of Azkaban) or Lord of the Rings; or A Court of Mist and Fury and H..."

Not really, it kinda was always like this for me; some books just had a bigger impact than others

message 24: by Mel (new)

Mel | 25 comments Abbey wrote: "Gabby (GabsAboutBooks) wrote: "Abookfangirl wrote: "I don’t think I really have something like that? I’m shocked :O maybe Harry Potter (but for me it’s Prisoner of Azkaban) or Lord of the Rings; or..."

It's been a really long while since I read it the last time (I'm ashamed) - but I plan to read them again over the summer; I like it the most because it is kinda in the middle, regarding atmosphere? Like the first two books are really light and with Goblet of Fire it gets only darker, and PoA is kinda stuck in the middle, both light and dark and it's just relly good balanced in my opinion (does that even make sense?); also I love Remus teaching, I love Sirius Black, I love the Marauders Map, we learn so much about the Marauders (not in the movie but eh) and thats all that comes to mind at the moment... it's just the mix (but I really really need to reread it in order to say more :D)

message 25: by Mel (new)

Mel | 25 comments Also, can someone please tell me about Beatrix Potter? Never heard of it, I take its a childrens book? My mind automatically reads Bellatrix Potter every single time and that's disturbing :D

message 26: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments Abookfangirl wrote: "Also, can someone please tell me about Beatrix Potter? Never heard of it, I take its a childrens book? My mind automatically reads Bellatrix Potter every single time and that's disturbing :D"

Beatrix Potter wrote a lot of stories aimed at younger readers, but The Tale of Peter Rabbit is probably one of the more famous ones!

Beatrix definitely is not a name you hear often (if ever) anymore. Totally agree that reading it at quick glance looks like "Bellatrix Potter", which is certainly a name we hope never mixes with the Potter lineage :D

message 27: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (totallyshelfaware) | 10 comments Jumping on the Prisoner of Azkaban bandwagon!

Other things I turn to are Matilda, Megan Whalen Turner's Queen's Thief series, and anything by Melina Marchetta (especially if I want a good laugh + cry).

message 28: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments Abookfangirl wrote: "Abbey wrote: "Gabby (GabsAboutBooks) wrote: "Abookfangirl wrote: "I don’t think I really have something like that? I’m shocked :O maybe Harry Potter (but for me it’s Prisoner of Azkaban) or Lord of..."

That makes sense!! Now that you mention all of that, I remember the book a lot better! I think I was confusing it for some of the movie (sad to admit that, but it happens), which left out a lot of details that I remember loving about that book!

message 29: by Biblio_philia (new)

Biblio_philia (biblio_philia_germany) Abbey wrote: "Julia wrote: "The one and only Mary Poppins"

Such a classic!! Great choice. Do you prefer the original first book, or the entire series?"

The first book is my absolute favorite, but i like the others as well

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

The mediator by meg cabot. Other Meg cabot books.
Stephanie plum books

message 31: by Cindy (new)

Cindy The Cat in the Hat or anything by Dr. Seuss.

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 215 comments I think for me it would be The Chronicles of Narnia, especially, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe!

message 33: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Harry Potter books, obv! But I love re-reading Ella Enchanted, it is my all-time childhood favorite (screw the movie!!). I have been re-reading Ready Player One for the past 3 years, twice in audo and once in paperback. :)

message 34: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) The Summer Book by Tove Jansson The Summer Book by Tove Jansson

This reminds me, I need to get a new copy. I used mine to hide on Goodreads' Hide-a-Book Day last year. (I took the organizers seriously when they said to hide your *favorite* book.)

message 35: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments Elyse wrote: "Harry Potter books, obv! But I love re-reading Ella Enchanted, it is my all-time childhood favorite (screw the movie!!). I have been re-reading Ready Player One for the ..."

So true about Ella Enchanted book vs. movie! And ditto on Ready Player One! I actually had my book club read it a few years ago just so I'd finally have people to talk about it with :)

message 36: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 183 comments Margaret wrote: "The Summer Book by Tove Jansson The Summer Book by Tove Jansson

This reminds me, I need to get a new copy. I used mine to hide on Goodreads' Hide-a-Book Day last year..."

That is dedication! Very impressive on hiding your only copy of your favorite book. I'm working on being less physically attached to copies of books (so that I can give more copies to friends or as gifts after reading), but there is just something I can't part with about a well-worn copy of your favorite book after many years.

message 37: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Abbey wrote: "So true about Ella Enchanted book vs. movie! And ditto on Ready Player One! I actually had my book club read it a few years ago just so I'd finally have people to talk about it with :).."

I rec'd it to 2 of my coworkers so we can talk about it. One read it, the other is currently listening to it. Also got my husband to read it last year and we always talk about!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.