Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Hour 4: Scary Monsters and Super Creeps - Music to enjoy your books to:)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna | 10 comments Happy #readathon day! I'm so excited to be enjoying this with you:)

What songs would you pair with your books today? Are there any songs that get you in the mood to do more reading?

I just finished Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin and all its deevils and imps and even some gremlin mentions got me thinking about David Bowie's Scary Monster and Super Creeps. So I'll definitely be blasting that for the next little bit.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 457 comments I don't listen to music while reading - although I LOVE music.

I like Ambience videos and sounds. I made a blog post about it last year actually. My favorite is the video for RainyMood.com on Youtube on the TV, but I have some with seas and ships also, and a cold winter storm one

Some of my favorites

Rainymood
https://youtu.be/aDfZ6STAfqA?list=PLm...-

Sea Storm at Night with Waves
https://youtu.be/oKKDfynx4ZY

Winter Storm Sound
https://youtu.be/SMfB1REALp4

Ambient Creepy Music Mix
https://youtu.be/mlTRcMowLkc

Haunted Halloween Mansion with Fireplace and thunder
https://youtu.be/sCgqiOzXE-g

Harry Potter Library
https://youtu.be/20XE6GM7xWo

Ocean Waves and Sound Ambience
https://youtu.be/150wWnWkkPA

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna | 10 comments Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "I don't listen to music while reading - although I LOVE music.

I like Ambience videos and sounds. I made a blog post about it last year actually. My favorite is the video for RainyMood.com on Yout..."

I love that you have a whole selection of ambient music just ready to share! I will definitely be utilizing this while I write my next paper...

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 457 comments Thanks Anna. I have a playlist on Youtube and I randomly put on depending on mood and what I'm reading. The creepy stuff and winter stuff work well with horror, mysteries and thrillers. Rain stuff works for anything anytime :)

message 5: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments I'm reading Unbury Carol while listening to Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's Howl album since they both have a western feel.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna | 10 comments Candy wrote: "I'm reading Unbury Carol while listening to Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's Howl album since they both have a western feel."

Having just read the book description and started playing this album, I completely agree that they fit. Excellent match and thanks for the music and book rec:)

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary King (maryk13) Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "I don't listen to music while reading - although I LOVE music.

I like Ambience videos and sounds. I made a blog post about it last year actually. My favorite is the video for RainyMood.com on Yout..."

These are perfect for the book I'm currently reading: The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World

Relaxing music for a lovely/peaceful read! Thanks!

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 157 comments I love music, but I find it too distracting to listen to much when I'm reading. Sometimes I use the "focus" playlists on Spotify, but I prefer silence. I wasn't always like that, but I find my attention span has shrunk so much in recent years that I often can't do two things at once!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 457 comments Mary wrote: "Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "I don't listen to music while reading - although I LOVE music.

I like Ambience videos and sounds. I made a blog post about it last year actually. My favorite is..."

You're very welcome :)

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 533 comments Mod
I pick music based on each book's setting, so since now I am back to reading Middlemarch, I'll go with something classical, maybe Bach. The Sicilian may require something more energetic, so maybe bluegrass, though I haven't really settled on the right music yet for that one. I also put on tv shows I have watched many times, via netflix, as background audio while I read, so I will probably have on Midsomer Murders today for a while, too.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna | 10 comments Mary wrote: "Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "I don't listen to music while reading - although I LOVE music.

I like Ambience videos and sounds. I made a blog post about it last year actually. My favorite is..."

Oh I've heard excellent things about The Book of Joy! I hope the ambient music helps create a calming and inspirational atmosphere for your reading:)

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna | 10 comments Sarah wrote: "I love music, but I find it too distracting to listen to much when I'm reading. Sometimes I use the "focus" playlists on Spotify, but I prefer silence. I wasn't always like that, but I find my atte..."

That makes sense! Especially if it's a book that you aren't totally and completely engrossed in, then music can be a distraction. I hope you get some good music recommendations here for your non-reading hours!

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna | 10 comments Jamie wrote: "I pick music based on each book's setting, so since now I am back to reading Middlemarch, I'll go with something classical, maybe Bach. The Sicilian may require something ..."

Yeah, Bach probably wouldn't work well for books about the mafia....

message 14: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments I get distracted if I listen to music while I read. So I read in silence. I have ADD so I am easily distracted.

message 15: by Devon (new)

Devon (archivist_fox) | 80 comments I don't like to listen to music or have too much noise while I read. I have synesthesia (I see images and colors from music), making it hard to listen to music while I read.

Now I have to do something when listening to audiobooks. I have to do something physical with my hands. That is why I sometimes knit or exercise or do work. :)

message 16: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 1296 comments Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "I don't listen to music while reading - although I LOVE music.

That is sooo cool!

message 17: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 421 comments Mod
i just have my radio playing in the background. But then I do that 24/7 when I'm home. LOL I listen to a station that plays hits from the 60s through the 80s.

message 18: by tahlia_ted (new)

tahlia_ted Listening to Ruelle to read city of bones

message 19: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments I can't read and listen to music. I can multi-task and listen to an audiobook but I need silence or soothing sounds like ocean waves when I'm reading. But I can't do that today or I will fall asleep! lol

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.