Space Opera Fans discussion

The Long Way Home (Sequoyah, #1)
This topic is about The Long Way Home
BOTM INDIE > May 2018 INDIE: The Long Way Home by Chase

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teresa Carrigan | 2643 comments Mod
The May 2018 INDIE Pick is The Long Way Home (Sequoyah, #1) by Sabrina Chase The Long Way Home by Sabrina Chase. Please use this thread to post questions, comments, and reviews, at any time.

Official description:
Webspace pilot Moire Cameron is one of the best--but even she can’t fly her way out of a catastrophic drive failure that triggers a time-dilation bubble. Left suddenly eighty years out of date, she is on the run in a world she no longer knows, caught in the middle of a human-alien war while agents of Toren hunt her for the information only she has--the location of the pristine world of Sequoyah.

The Long Way Home is the first book in the Sequoyah trilogy.

message 2: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

I’ve read this one several times. I look forward to rereading it in May.

message 3: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

I’ve started my reread. I like the outside the box thinking used, particularly in the first chapter. I also like how tiny bits of world building and backstory are dribbled out, easily overlooked in the action. Makes a very nice change from books that do nothing but background for the first several pages.

message 4: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

Most of the quotable parts are either spoilers or need too much context, but I found this one amusing and appropriate to share here:
He should be glad he could still serve Fleet, even if his new job title was Bait.

message 5: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited May 05, 2018 09:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finished my reread. Enjoyable book, but the ending doesn’t tie up enough threads to be satisfying. Not a cliffhanger but no closure. OTOH the other two books of the trilogy have that covered nicely.

On to rereading the sequel: Raven's Children (Sequoyah, #2) by Sabrina Chase Raven's Children

message 6: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

This quote is from the Raven’s Children. I couldn’t resist sharing it.

Covert ops with an eight–‌year–‌old had problems all its own.

message 7: by Trike (new)

Trike | 596 comments I’m starting to think you kinda like this book.

message 8: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yup. Now reading Queen of Chaos (Sequoyah, #3) by Sabrina Chase Queen of Chaos which is the third and final book.

Here’s a nice quote from it:
“Can I make the guns green?” came his muffled voice. “Yes, on standby,” said his long–‌suffering mother. “Don't shoot unless I say so. If you start another galactic war you will be grounded until the heat death of the universe.”

message 9: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

And finished, with an ending that is fully satisfying. For the reader that is. Moira isn’t completely happy about part of it. ;)

Aaron Hubble (aaronhubble) | 2 comments At 60 percent through we're finally getting a little more of Moire's story. I've really enjoyed the book so far, but holy cow! Several times I've yelled at the Kindle, "why is she running?! Just tell me!" I also like the term "web pilot". It makes me wonder how exactly they traverse space and why the use of the term.

Renata Riva I just finished and I really liked it, although I too have found the beginning confusing. After Moire leaves the mercenary group, the story becomes more interesting.

I think it would make a great movie.

message 12: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I'm about halfway through, and I have to say it's improved immensely. When I first started I wasn't too sure, but later it really picked up. I like the whole conspiracy plot and the fact that they don't feel compelled to tell me every last thing.

message 13: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Miller | 3 comments It has been a long time since I've read a space opera which I've enjoyed so completely. The suspense, mystery of what she and the explorers found, Bone, the various ship crews and fringe ports were all very engaging. I had to tell myself to breath during some of the situations. Well told story.

Jemima Pett | 156 comments Ok. I'll add it to my TBR. I know when to give in.

message 15: by Laz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laz the Sailor (laz7) | 208 comments I forgot that this had been picked. I enjoyed it a lot and will read #2.