Space Opera Fans discussion

Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo, #1)
This topic is about Starship Grifters
BOTM THEMED > May 2018 THEMED: Starship Grifters by Kroese

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2664 comments Mod
The May 2018 THEMED Pick is Starship Grifters by Robert Kroese Starship Grifters by Robert Kroese. The theme is Outside the Box. Please use this thread to post questions, comments, and reviews, at any time.

Official description:
A space-faring ne'er-do-well with more bravado than brains, Rex Nihilo plies the known universe in a tireless quest for his own personal gain. But when he fleeces a wealthy weapons dealer in a high-stakes poker game, he ends up winning a worthless planet - and owing an outstanding debt more vast than space itself!

The only way for Rex to escape a lifetime of torture on the prison world Gulagatraz is to score a big payday by pulling off his biggest scam. But getting mixed up in the struggle between the tyrannical Malarchian Empire and the plucky rebels of the Revolting Front - and trying to double-cross them both - may be his biggest mistake. Luckily for Rex, his frustrated but faithful robot sidekick has the cyber-smarts to deal with buxom bounty hunters, pudgy princesses, overbearing overlords, and interstellar evangelists - while still keeping Rex's martini glass filled.

Phillip Murrell I had great fun with this read. I was compelled to immediately begin book two. I just kept picturing Han Solo owning C-3PO without any other Star Wars characters around to force him to be civil. There were a ton of A New Hope references to really let the humor pop. Vlaak’s ship at the end was genius.

message 3: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan | 89 comments I LOVED This book.

I started laughing when I picked it up, and didn't stop till I finished.

This wasn't a great book in terms of writing, it won't win any prizes, but it was just FUN.

I love how Rex is unstoppably idiotic. I love how he makes up stories about his planet and hidden city and they turn out to be real. I love the ending.

My only regret is there aren't more in the series

message 4: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

The ebook is currently on sale for 1.99. Not sure how long that price will last.

Phillip Murrell I’ve read the trilogy using Kindle Unlimited.

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 599 comments Cool, I’ve had this in my TBR for quite a while.

Phillip Murrell I’ve been telling my non-reader (but still Star Wars fans) friends a joke from the first book. Everyone has loved it.

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan | 89 comments Whats with the [Spoilers removed]?

message 9: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Dan wrote: "Whats with the [Spoilers removed]?"
If you read the post from a browser, there’s a link to show the spoiler. If you use the goodreads app, it just says that it removed the spoiler. Annoying, but there are quite a few other features that I have to switch to a browser to use.

message 10: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan | 89 comments Hmmm. I see. That's annoying as I like my tablet. :/

message 11: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

I just switch to the browser on my iPad when I need to. Shrug.

Audrey | 336 comments This book is available to borrow through the Kindle Owners Lending Library, for anyone who uses it.

Audrey | 336 comments I am not too far into this book yet but it is laugh out loud funny so far.

Audrey | 336 comments This has me thinking of Star Wars/Space Balls with C3PO as the narrator. and some overtones of Hitchhikers Guide.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I loved thisbook! I laughed and laughed and laughed. I loved how it poked fun at Star Wars and also nearly every sci-fi trope out there!!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Starship Grifters (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert Kroese (other topics)