Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > June Contemporary Novel Discussion Topic Selection Complete

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the place to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our June group read and discussion (beginning June 21.) A contemporary novel would typically have been first published in the 21st century.

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. Note that if your nomination is selected by the group, we'll be expecting you to take the lead in the discussion.

We read two different SF/F novels and one short SF/F work each month: One is a "Contemporary" SF/F novel, which was written after 2000; that discussion starts on the 21st of each month. One is a "Classic" SF/F novel which was written before 2000; that discussion starts on the 1st of each month. We also read one or more short stories every other month; that discussion starts the 11th of alternate months. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F Novel discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that these are nominations for our June discussion topic. Children of Time has already been selected as our May Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Friday, May 4, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 526 comments What’s the policy on books that are not the first in a series?
Revenant Gun comes out in June so that’s what I’ll be reading.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 28, 2018 07:57AM) (new)

Rachel wrote: "What’s the policy on books that are not the first in a series?
Revenant Gun comes out in June so that’s what I’ll be reading."

They're fine, as long as members know it's the 3rd book in Yoon Ha Lee's series and they'd need to have read Ninefox Gambit & Raven Stratagem first. (Also, with a June 12 publication date, it's only a week to get the book & read it by the 21st. (Good news is it releases at paperback rather than hardcover prices, for those who prefer to wait in the paperback price drop.))

So, is that a nomination?

message 4: by Silvana (last edited Apr 29, 2018 10:21PM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I was about to nominate that one but Rachel beat me to it. OK... I have another nomination, Autonomous by Annalee Newitz.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 526 comments Yes it’s a nomination- I’ll let the voters decide if there’s enough people ready to read it upon release.
It’s one of a few I actually plan on buying instead of library-ing

message 7: by Silvana (last edited Apr 29, 2018 10:43PM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Randy wrote: "I'll nominate Lost Stars by Claudia Gray Lost Stars by Claudia Gray."

This is YA, but it was alright if you like SW new canon :)

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2820 comments I'll toss in something that is not the middle of a series (Revenant Gun) and not part of a fandom (Lost Stars), and is a fantasy to compete with the SF nomination (Autonomous)

Dragon Champion by E.E. Knight

For bingo players - features dragon, non-human protagonist, and the author is new to this group (if not to you specifically)

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited May 04, 2018 07:10PM) (new)

Reminder: Today, Friday, is the final day to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our June group read and discussion.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Thank you for the nominations. A poll to select our Contemporary Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion topic for May is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice.

Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that work.

Note that these are nominations for our June discussion topic. Children of Time has already been selected as our May Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Friday, May 11.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2283 comments The poll has the wrong 'Dragon Champion' in it. It should be the one by EE Knight, not Sam Ferguson. See message 8 for the correct book.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Jim wrote: "The poll has the wrong 'Dragon Champion' in it. It should be the one by EE Knight, not Sam Ferguson. See message 8 for the correct book."

Thanks, Jim. Fixed it.

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2820 comments Now I have to see what Dragon Champion by Sam Ferguson is about :) Currently the poll is at a four way tie of 1 after my vote. There are two this time around I'm interested in reading.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 526 comments I’ve actually read two others on the poll so could join in on any of 3. Still pulling for revenant gun!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Reminder Post-it   Reminder: For those who are interested in discussing one of the above nominees with the group, today is the final day to vote for one of our Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our June group read and discussion.

message 16: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Another three-way tie. I know which I'll be voting for next though.

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited May 12, 2018 07:16AM) (new)

Announcement banner
The first poll didn't produce a clear choice, so I've created a runoff poll between two of the top choices to complete the selection, Lost Stars and The Dragon's Champion.

Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that book.

The runoff poll will be open through Friday, May 18.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Rachel wrote: "I don’t understand- Revenant Gun was the clear leader until the very last day...."

I can't speak to the history; in case of a 3-way tie, I randomly toss out one to get a runoff pairing.

I plan to read Revenant Gun, if there's interest we can set up a buddy-read. The novel goes on sale June 12 and we have no short story discussion for June.

message 19: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 743 comments I'm reading Revenant Gun when it comes out, and not the other two.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 526 comments I’ll be reading it as soon as amazon delivers it - sounds like a good choice for a buddy read ( and makes monthly read less exclusionary) 😄

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited May 19, 2018 05:45AM) (new)

Reminder: For those who are interested in discussing one of the two remaining nominees with the group, today, Friday, is the final day to vote for one of our Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our June group read and discussion.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Our selected Contemporary Novel discussion topic for June is....

Lost Stars by Claudia Gray Lost Stars by Claudia Gray

The discussion will begin June 21.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.