Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Hour 2: Quote my hobby

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Iluzija (new)

Iluzija O. Istini | 34 comments Dear readers,

welcome to the second hour of Read-a-Thon. I will be so free to guess you like reading. Did I get it right?

But there is more to us than that.... we all have hobbies, activities that make us happy.

I want to know them, but through the prism of literature, the thing we all here love so much:

Show us a quote that describes one of your hobbies!

I'll start with an example:
“Dance first. Think later. It's the natural order.” ― Samuel Beckett
Because I dance west coast swing and I love it.

You can search for quotes HERE.
If you wish to share more than one hobby, feel free to do so.

Have fun, guys!!

message 2: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments “One should always be drunk. That's all that matters...But with what? With wine, with poetry, or with virtue, as you chose. But get drunk.”
― Charles Baudelaire

message 3: by Devon (new)

Devon (archivist_fox) | 80 comments “May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.”
― Neil Gaiman

I like to do studio work, but I haven't had too much commitment time because of work and school and of course reading. ;)

message 4: by Iluzija (new)

Iluzija O. Istini | 34 comments Devon wrote: "“May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art -- write or d..."

I like that one :D

message 5: by Hilde (last edited Apr 28, 2018 06:19AM) (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 23 comments “Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent”
― Victor Hugo

Because I love music (just as much as books) :)

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate | 409 comments “Addison spoke in calligraphy while everyone else talked in scribbles.”
― Shawn Martin, Shadowflesh

I don't know the book but I liked the quote! I've spent this morning at a calligraphy open day but I cut it short to join in here. :)

message 7: by GabsAboutBooks (new)

GabsAboutBooks “When in doubt go the library” Hermione Granger from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling.

message 8: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments “When people look at my pictures I want them to feel the way they do when they want to read a line of a poem twice.”
― Robert Frank

I love photography.

message 9: by Biblio_philia (new)

Biblio_philia (biblio_philia_germany) “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity”
― John Muir, Our National Parks

message 10: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 122 comments Funny enough, my tradition for RAT is to start with a run and a short audiobook. This morning it was Ajax Penumbra 1969 and 5.7 miles (I listen at 2x).

“The keys to life are running and reading. When you're running, there's a little person that talks to you and says, "Oh I'm tired. My lung's about to pop. I'm so hurt. There's no way I can possibly continue." You want to quit. If you learn how to defeat that person when you're running, you will know to not quit when things get hard in your life. For reading: there have been gazillions of people that have lived before all of us. There's no new problem you could have--with your parents, with school, with a bully. There's no new problem that someone hasn't already had and written about it in a book.”

Never thought Will Smith would be my inspiration.

message 11: by Iluzija (new)

Iluzija O. Istini | 34 comments Kate wrote: "“Addison spoke in calligraphy while everyone else talked in scribbles.”
― Shawn Martin, Shadowflesh

I don't know the book but I liked the quote! I've spent this morning at a calligraphy open day ..."

Calligraphy? Wow, that sounds interesting!

Julia wrote: "“Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity”
― John Muir, Our National Parks"

over-civilized :D Nice way to put it..

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments “Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Both of my loves in one quote <3

message 13: by Devon (new)

Devon (archivist_fox) | 80 comments Shelley wrote: "Funny enough, my tradition for RAT is to start with a run and a short audiobook. This morning it was Ajax Penumbra 1969 and 5.7 miles (I listen at 2x).

“The keys to life are runnin..."

I am putting some cardio into my reading today. It may give me the energy to keep me going. ;) (It is keeping me from falling asleep which happens if I read too long stationary.)

message 14: by SadieReadsAgain (new)

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 157 comments Reading - “All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen.” From Matilda

Dancing - There are shortcuts to happiness and dancing is one of them!” From Vicki Baum, Ballerina

message 15: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 29 comments “Dance, when you're broken open. Dance, if you've torn the bandage off. Dance in the middle of the fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance when you're perfectly free.”
― Rumi

I dance salsa and other latin dances. It is my other great escape.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

“It's no good pretending that any relationship has a future if your record collections disagree violently or if your favorite films wouldn't even speak to each other if they met at a party.”
― Nick Hornby

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 457 comments "I have lived a thousand lives and I’ve loved a thousand loves. I’ve walked on distant worlds and seen the end of time. Because I read." ― George R.R. Martin

message 18: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) To be different from the other readers, I'll go with my second favorite Hobby:

“Being human totally sucks most of the time. Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.”
― Ernest Cline, Ready Player One

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 89 comments Julia wrote: "“Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity”
― John Muir, Our National Parks"

One of my favorite quotes! I love hiking and being in nature, especially the mountains.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 89 comments What a fun discussion question! One of my favorite hobbies other than reading is painting/making art (which I can do while listening to audiobooks which is a win/win :) ). I couldn't pick just one quote.

“Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

“I dream my painting and I paint my dream.”
― Vincent van Gogh

“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.”
― Pablo Picasso

message 21: by Lupe (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 43 comments "You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world! This room's the greatest arsenal we could have-arm yourselves!" The Doctor

Love to read! My ultimate hobby!!!

message 22: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) "...custom had now made traveling on foot so familiar that we were able to walk ten miles with pleasure ... The Indians, who have no way of traveling but on the hoof, make nothing of going twenty-five miles a day and carrying their little necessaries on their backs, and sometimes a stout pack of skins into the bargain." -- William Byrd II, quoted in Byrd's Line: A Natural History by Stephen Conrad Ausband

(I love hiking and backpacking so much that I'm giving up 3 or 4 hours of the read-a-thon this afternoon to go on a hike.)

message 23: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 533 comments Mod
“I also have my crochet. It dates from when I began to think. Stitch on stitch forming a whole without a whole … A cloth, and I don’t know if it’s for a garment or for nothing. A soul, and I don’t know if it’s for feeling or living. What”
― Fernando Pessoa, The Book of Disquiet

“Reading was my escape and my comfort, my consolation, my stimulant of choice: reading for the pure pleasure of it, for the beautiful stillness that surrounds you when you hear an author's words reverberating in your head.”
― Paul Auster, The Brooklyn Follies

“I review books."
"Do you get paid for them?"
I laughed out loud at that. "No, not at all."
Daemon seemed confused by that. "So you review books and you don't get paid if someone buys a book based on your review?”
― Jennifer L. Armentrout, Obsidian

message 24: by Elyse (last edited Apr 28, 2018 02:20PM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge."
--Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Books. Those are my hobbies, my passions, my activities! :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.