You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > May 2018 Challenge - Flower Power

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Apr 28, 2018 06:29AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments I realised it was May in a few days, and was looking through the Interwebz about May. And I saw that May's flower of choice was Lily of the Valley, which I like and my Dad used to grow when I was a kid but I don't see any more. But it was the sign of Spring to me in Sept when I was little, and I remembered you lot are having a stupidly long winter. So let's go with the sign of Spring for you guys to give you hope that the snow will end.

This month your challenge, if you accept it, is to read a book with a Common Name of a flower in it's title. So no botanical names, just the common name. Also, I am not counting any descriptors in the name, just the name of the flower.

So if we take May's flower of choice as an example. Lily of the Valley - you could read a book with the word Lily in the title.
Another example, Baby Jane Camilla - you could read a book with the word Camilla in the title.
The descriptive words that don't distinguish the type of flower don't count (eg. baby, valley, Jane), but the actual flower names do: Camilla, Lily, Hibiscus, Rose, Iris, Banksia, Daffodil, etc.
If in doubt, ASK

Plurals are okay - so lilies is acceptable for lily.

Compound words - no. So rosebush is not okay for rose.

General Rules:

1. The book may be in any format – hardcover, paperback, ebook, or audiobook.
2. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Zany Zodiac Challenge.
3. The book must be read between May 1 to May 31, 2018 (based on your own time zone).
4. The challenge is for one book. You may read more books if you chose, but only the highest scoring book will apply.
5. The book must be 175 pages or more determined by the issue you read. If reading eBook or audiobook page numbers will be determined by the issue that comes up on a Goodreads search.

POINTS!
(based on the edition you read)

Title:
5 pts – Title consists of 4 words (no sub titles)
4 pts – Title starts with the letter F, L, O, W, E, R
3 pts – Title starts with an M (for May)
2 pts – Has a a sub title
1 pts – Has the word "Lotus" in it (White Lotus Day)

Cover (if using an audiobook use the most popular edition):
5 pts – Does not have a flower on it
4 pts – Is 70% red or white (Flag Day, Poland) use http://labs.tineye.com/color/ if confused
3 pts – Has a sheep on it (Sheep Festival (Cameroon))
2 pts – Author's name is in purple
1 pts – Has a recommendation blurb on the front cover

Author:
5 pts – Author is Haitian (Haitian Heritage Month)
4 pts – Author's first or last name starts with P, O, W, E, R (count once)
3 pts – Author is from a South Asian country (or Indian Sub-Continent depending on your terminology) - India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, Maldives -(South Asian Heritage Month)
2 pts – Author is Jewish American (Jewish American Heritage Month)
1 pts – Is living

How many pages? (if using an audiobook use the most popular edition) :
5 points – 501+
4 points - 401-500
3 points - 301-400
2 points – 201-300
1 point - 200 or less

Bonus May Points (2pts each that apply):
Roodmas - there is a Christian priest, pastor, minister, missionary or the like in your book.
International Bird Day - Come on, how could I let this one go by. A bird plays a part in your story. Not like "a flock of pigeons flew past" but like "a pigeon delivered an important message so I didn't die". Explain, but with spoilers if necessary.
Europe Day - the book is 60% set in a country in the European Union (28 countries - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea... . Last year the UK counts for this one)

message 2: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 2931 comments Ohh, I like this one. Great job.

message 3: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9790 comments Flowers!! Sounds amazing!

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15575 comments Love it! We have this 1 by 1 metre veggie garden, but this year we decided not to do veggies and today I filled it completely with flowers :)

I'm sure I have lots of books that fit the challenge.

message 5: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments I don't gopher until I have written a challenge. It's not fair, I feel, otherwise.

I am literally overwhelmed with the prospect of gophering this one... oops.

message 6: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9790 comments My first thought was to finally read The Name of the Rose, but after reading Rusalka's review... I don't think I will...

Off to gopher more.

message 7: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments Sandra wrote: "My first thought was to finally read The Name of the Rose, but after reading Rusalka's review... I don't think I will...

Off to gopher more."

Oops. Sorry! lol, but kinda not sorry. Others loved it!!

message 8: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15575 comments Rusalka, what are the rules on plurals and compound words etc. for this one?

message 9: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments You and your questions!! :P Sorry, should have thought of this. Will copy above.

Plurals are okay - so lilies is acceptable for lily.

Compound words - no. So rosebush is not okay for rose.

message 10: by Sandra, Moderator (last edited Apr 28, 2018 06:35AM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9790 comments Rusalka wrote: "Oops. Sorry! lol, but kinda not sorry. Others loved it!!"

lol, to be completely honest with you, I tried The Prague Cemetery last year and gave up after 50 or 60 pages for similar reasons you disliked The Name of the Rose. I wanted to try this one to decide who the problem is, Eco or me. Many other "flower" books in my TBR, though.

message 11: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments Sandra wrote: "Rusalka wrote: "Oops. Sorry! lol, but kinda not sorry. Others loved it!!"

lol, to be completely honest with you, I tried The Prague Cemetery last year and gave up after 50 or 60 pa..."

It's Eco. It's all him. The man has issues,

Glad you have options!!

message 12: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Apr 28, 2018 06:42AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15575 comments Lol, sorry Rus, won't happen again ;-)

I only found 6 owned books that would work, which is much less than I expected.

I'll go for either Purple Hibiscus or The Lotus Eaters. A quick look at the points tells me they're both serious gluestick contenders though.

Purple Hibiscus I have as a paperback, and I was thinking today that I should read more of my owned paper books, as I have no more room for new ones on my shelf. On the other hand, The Lotus Eaters will get me an additional point for 'lotus' in the title. Decisions decisions!

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15183 comments Gah! The first thing that came to mind was Roses of May, but I was planning to read that for "May" in the title for zodiac. Darn. I do that to myself all the time - trying to mix challenges. I'll have to think on this one. I think I have a lot of flower books.

message 14: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9790 comments I'll stop the gophering now because I already have a bunch and I want to read all of them:

Black Lotus
The Lotus and the Storm
The Last Kashmiri Rose
Secret of the White Rose
The Rose of Sebastopol

I'll see where I feel like going when I finally start reading a book for the challenge.

message 15: by Jannene (last edited Apr 28, 2018 07:06AM) (new)

message 16: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments Yeah, I think I need to do a physical circuit of the bookshelves.

message 17: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments Jannene wrote: "Apparently I have a thing for roses. "

Nothing like self-realisation :P

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Wow. I have no books that I own which fit. I did not expect that.

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51865 comments "A rose by any any other name would smell so sweet." Shakespeare

Off to gopher.

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51865 comments I found three books in my tbr. One was already designated for my zodiac challenge, to that narrowed my choice down to two. I'm going to read Dandelion Wine.

message 21: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9790 comments I really want to read White Oleander, but I have it chosen for the poison task in the ZZ challenge.

message 22: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10282 comments This is a good challenge Rusalka - sounds simple but it's really not!

Like Kristie I have Roses of May on my shelf set aside for the ZZ challenge. The only audio I can find in the library that will fit the task (and sounds readable!) is Rose Under Fire. This may be the one but I'll keep looking :-)

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51865 comments I think one of the things that adds to the challenge difficulty is that it lends itself to books already identified for the zodiac challenge. Balancing between the two is what's making it tricky.

message 24: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3393 comments The The Secret History of the Pink Carnation series would be good for this challenge. I haven't read the last one yet. Hmmm.

message 25: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 1191 comments I could happily read any of my 3 options:

Sea of Poppies
Lily and the Octopus
Bloodroot

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15183 comments My second thought was The Violets of March, but that's for the zodiac too. I may go with Lily and the Octopus, but I'm not sure if I'll be in the mood for that one. I'm under the impression that it's quite sad. I'll keep thinking about it.

message 27: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments Janice wrote: "I found three books in my tbr. One was already designated for my zodiac challenge, to that narrowed my choice down to two. I'm going to read Dandelion Wine."

Oh yes! That's been on my tbr for ages... and I think I have a copy somewhere.

message 28: by Eliestal (last edited Apr 28, 2018 03:09PM) (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments I don't know if I will be able to participate yet but if I do this will be my book:

La Dame aux camélias by Alexandre Dumas fils. (blurb is in English)

message 29: by Karen (last edited Apr 29, 2018 06:07AM) (new)

Karen Rashid | 137 comments Poking around at the library I found Daisy Dooley Does Divorce. Looks like a light read that will be easy to fit in with some heavier books that are on my tbr list for the month. Too bad there aren't bonus points for alliteration. ;)

message 30: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments Deidre(Dee) ~ Official Bookworm ~ wrote: "We won’t be into Spring till September, so it’s nice to celebrate this beautiful season in Autumn.🍁"

We can live vicariously through the challenge!
Not sure how you're weather is going in NZ, Dee, but we only just had a day lower than 20 yesterday. Had a LONG summer here in Aus.

message 31: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10511 comments Vicki wrote: "I could happily read any of my 3 options:

Sea of Poppies"

Ibis Trilogy is a good solid series, IMO!

message 32: by Almeta (last edited May 02, 2018 06:42PM) (new)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I may go for Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

message 34: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10282 comments Janice wrote: "I think one of the things that adds to the challenge difficulty is that it lends itself to books already identified for the zodiac challenge. Balancing between the two is what's making it tricky."

I think it also adds to the fun Janice. It woupd be a bit boring if it was too easy ☺

message 35: by Margo (last edited Apr 29, 2018 03:13AM) (new)

Margo | 10282 comments Almeta wrote: "Dandelion Wine has been on my list as well.
I am also considering:
Rose Madder

I had forgotten Rose Madder. It didn't really work on audio though - some books don't make the transition well :-/

message 36: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10511 comments Margo wrote: "......I had forgotten Rose Madder. It didn't really work on audio though - some books don't make the transition well :-/ "

Hmmm. I ordered it on audio. I hope I can tolerate it. Otherwise, I can easily transfer to paper and ink.☺

message 37: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 1191 comments Almeta wrote: "Vicki wrote: "I could happily read any of my 3 options:

Sea of Poppies"

Ibis Trilogy is a good solid series, IMO!"

It has the added bonus of book 2 and 3 being so perfect for the Zodiac challenge but book 1- I can't fit in anywhere.

message 38: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments Perfect!

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51865 comments Margo wrote: "I think it also adds to the fun Janice. It woupd be a bit boring if it was too easy ☺"

Gophering is so much fun. I love it. I thought I'd go for something exotic like Blood Orchids but it was on my zodiac challenge. Dandelions aren't exactly exotic and I'm sure I'll be cursing them when I see how many come up in my lawn. But it's not a common flower to find in a title.

message 40: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51865 comments Vicki wrote: "It has the added bonus of book 2 and 3 being so p..."

Book 1 for this challenge and book 2 & 3 for the Zodiac challenge. That's a win all the way around.

message 41: by Almeta (last edited Apr 29, 2018 03:12PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10511 comments Vicki wrote: "...
It has the added bonus of book 2 and 3 being so perfect for the Zodiac challenge but book 1- I can't fit in anywhere...."

maybe Scorpio – Scorpion - poison?.

But then you couldn't read it for this flower challenge!

message 42: by TrudyA (new)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1670 comments The only book on my TBR shelf with a flower name in the title is Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. I’m not familiar with a flower by the name ‘snow flower’, so I googled it to ensure it is a common name of a real plant. I discovered that there is actually more than one plant called a snow flower. I think I must be the only YLTO member who hasn’t already read this book, so this will be my May read.

message 43: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 2931 comments TrudyAn wrote: "The only book on my TBR shelf with a flower name in the title is Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. I’m not familiar with a flower by the name ‘snow flower’, so I googled it to ensure it i..."

I haven't read it either. :)

message 44: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments I found my copy of Dandelion Wine and couldn't resist a sneak preview. I'm now nearly half way through, so it falls flat for this challenge. Great book! Perfect for the June criteria in the zodiac challenge too.
I'm sure I can find another flower book.

message 45: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9790 comments Oh, one of those books that try your self control.

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51865 comments Annerlee wrote: "I found my copy of Dandelion Wine and couldn't resist a sneak preview. I'm now nearly half way through, so it falls flat for this challenge. Great book! Perfect for the June criteria i..."

LOL! Oops! :)

message 47: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15575 comments I only read it this month TrudyAn. I also always thought I was the only one who hadn't read it. I really enjoyed it, so go for it!

Saar The Book owl | 1920 comments Kristie wrote: "My second thought was The Violets of March, but that's for the zodiac too. I may go with Lily and the Octopus, but I'm not sure if I'll be in the mood for that one. I..."

I've read 'Lily and the Octopus' and I've had a hate/love -relationship with it, but in the end I must admit that the story was good, warm and heartbreaking.

Saar The Book owl | 1920 comments I've started gophering in my TBR - pile and found:
Daisy Sisters
The Perks of Being a Wallflower (I don't think this one counts)
Blood Rose

But I think I'll look on what the library has.

message 50: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments Saar wrote: "I've started gophering in my TBR - pile and found:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower (I don't think this one counts)"

I didn't think it would count either, but turns out wallflowers are a type of flower. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...

In case it's at the library

« previous 1 3