Support for Indie Authors discussion

Physical Book Publishing > Illustrators for children's books

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helen (new)

Helen Erwin | 69 comments Hi everyone,
I've written my first children's book and want to learn about illustrators.
Does anyone here have experience with this?
Would I pay an illustrator to do the artwork, and then not share the royalties?
How much should I expect to pay?
Or should it be a joint project where we would share the royalties instead of me paying?
Should I do both?

This is all brand new for me, I'd be grateful for any advice.
Thank you so much!

message 2: by Ray (new)

Ray Simmons | 5 comments I do it all through Fiverr.I pay a reasonable price for it and I pay upfront for it and I don't have to share royalties. Browse Fiverr and I'm sure you can find someone. The trick is to know exactly what you want and getting the gig written up in a way that makes sure you get it.

message 3: by A.A. (new)

A.A. Bavar (aabavar) | 23 comments Hi Helen,

I know a couple of illustrators if you're interested in contacting them. They get paid a fee and do not participate in royalties.

Warmest regards,'
A.A. Bavar

message 4: by Helen (new)

Helen Erwin | 69 comments Thank you all!

A.A. Bavar, if you don't mind sharing links to your illustrators' websites, that would be amazing. Feel free to message me if you don't want to post the links here.

message 5: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (stjenna) | 22 comments My experience has been that you either pay the illustrator less up front and they share royalties, or you pay them more up front to not share royalties. I know a few amazing illustrators who are very affordable and willing to work with your budget (provided it's reasonable, of course). Feel free to PM me and I can send links.

message 6: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4356 comments Mod
Jan wrote: "My trad published ..."

Deleted for multiple bookwhacks. What's a bookwhack? If you read the rules, you'll find out.

message 7: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Helen wrote: "Thank you all!

A.A. Bavar, if you don't mind sharing links to your illustrators' websites, that would be amazing. Feel free to message me if you don't want to post the links here."

Yes, please send a PM. No links here, as per the rules. Thanks.

message 8: by Helen (new)

Helen Erwin | 69 comments Thank you everybody, I'll be grateful for private messages.

I looked through the rules, I don't see anything about bookwacks.

message 9: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Helen wrote: "I looked through the rules, I don't see anything about bookwacks."

Strange. It's fairly lengthy and hard to miss. Quoting:

#3 - No self promotion of any kind.

Bookwhacking is a term coined by our own V.M. Sawh and refers to the art of attempting to push your book into conversations. This can include, but is not limited to:

- showing your cover(s) where inappropriate
- sharing your blurbs or samples of writing where inappropriate
- any link to your book
- listing your book as part of your signature

It is acceptable to show your blurbs and covers in the workshop, but only if you are truly seeking opinions on them.

Links to personal websites, blogs, signatures listing your books or services, social media, emails, other Goodreads groups, or anything else that could be considered self-promotion is forbidden.

If you are interested in telling others about your work and sharing links, please do so in the Showcase forum.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Read the Pinned Posting Guideline Topic at the top of each category prior to posting. What is allowed in one folder may not be allowed in all folders.

No advertising for paid services. Please contact a moderator about advertising opportunities.

message 10: by Helen (new)

Helen Erwin | 69 comments Dwayne wrote: "Helen wrote: "I looked through the rules, I don't see anything about bookwacks."

Strange. It's fairly lengthy and hard to miss. Quoting:

#3 - No self promotion of any kind.

Bookwhacking is a te..."

Thanks for the explanation.

All I found was this, and there is only a comment about the rules, but not the rules themselves.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 11: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (last edited Apr 28, 2018 10:13PM) (new)

Okay... that's the rules for the Rules and Announcements folder. Every folder has its own set of rules. There is also the Code of Conduct. It can also be found in the Rules and Announcements folder. Here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 12: by Helen (new)

Helen Erwin | 69 comments Dwayne wrote: "Okay... that's the rules for the Rules and Announcements folder. Every folder has its own set of rules. There is also the Code of Conduct. It can also be found in the Rules and Announcements folder..."

Thanks, that explains it.