Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Reading progress and surveys

Comments Showing 1-50 of 215 (215 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments Opening survey

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
Finnish Nightmares 2 that I've just received
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
I think I'll try "try a chapter" during this 24 hours

message 2: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments Starter - Finnish Nightmares 2 An Even More Different Kind of Social Guide to Finland by Karoliina Korhonen (a comic book)
Reading Lullaby by Leïla Slimani at the moment

message 3: by Lamilla (last edited Apr 28, 2018 06:26AM) (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments Switched to an audiobook The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell
name-dropping: Orwell - check, Jen from booktube - check

message 4: by Lamilla (last edited Apr 28, 2018 07:18AM) (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments Read more from Lullaby by Leïla Slimani during the third hour. Now I continue listening to The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell

message 5: by Lamilla (last edited Apr 28, 2018 08:13AM) (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments I've read over 25% of Lullaby by Leïla Slimani , so it's finally eligible for the Scavenger Hunt. Continue listening to The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell

message 6: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments I've finished the first reading sprint by spending around 35 minutes on reading. Nice!

message 7: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments Reached 15% of my audiobook The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell

message 8: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 576 comments Great progress! Keep it up!

message 9: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments I reached 50% of Lullaby by Leïla Slimani . Very disturbing but fascinating story. Not sure why it's marketed as a thriller - pure contemporary so far.

@Ann A thanks! I'm surprised how good it went myself

message 10: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments Reached 2/3 of the book ( Lullaby by Leïla Slimani )
Apparently, it's a nanny on the bookcover, and not the oldest child as I thought previously.
Also, found two links connected to the story:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_... (based on)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_... (mentioned)

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna (annaholla) | 24 comments I just finished my first book: Frankenstein in Baghdad! (I read all but about 25 pages today.)

I've also knocked out a few essays in The Good Immigrant, and I've listened to about 90 minutes of News of the World

message 12: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 7 comments Checking in.... I fell asleep for a while, but did get 30 pages done of Millard Salter's Last Day... I like the book. Now that the tablet is charged I can work on getting more of Simple Truth read.

message 13: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments I'm back from the good night sleep. Only 40 pages left in my current read Lullaby by Leïla Slimani

message 14: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments Finished it! Continue with The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell until I select another real book

message 15: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 7 comments 90 pages done in Millard Salter's Last Day

message 16: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments This hour I'm doing try a chapter thing, to decide what to read next. I'm starting with Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1) by Robin Sloan which I only got a couple of days ago

message 17: by Lamilla (last edited Apr 29, 2018 03:15AM) (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments I've read a first chapter and only on the page 10 it dawned on me that the main character is not a girl.
Now I'm trying Hag-Seed The Tempest Retold by Margaret Atwood . I've started it some time ago but didn't read much

message 18: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments Next one is The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1) by Katherine Arden - a wishlist book I got as a gift

message 19: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments Loved the beginning of the story! Now to Imagine Me Gone by Adam Haslett

message 20: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments This one didn't go well. I'm making a break now :)

message 21: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments Closing survey
1. Which hour was most daunting for you?
Hour 4 was challenging - I was waiting for the sprint thread that wasn't unlocked in time. Also hours 23-24 - they flew too fast!
2. Tell us ALLLLL the books you read!
Finnish Nightmares 2 An Even More Different Kind of Social Guide to Finland by Karoliina Korhonen - finished
Lullaby by Leïla Slimani - also finished!
The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell - audiobook, listened to the good chunk of it
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1) by Robin Sloan - read a chapter
Hag-Seed The Tempest Retold by Margaret Atwood - read a chapter
The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1) by Katherine Arden - read a chapter (sounds like my next read!)
Imagine Me Gone by Adam Haslett - read a chapter
3. Which books would you recommend to other Read-a-thoners?
I would recommend something light to start (comic? children's book?) and an audiobook (nonfiction on the subject you're interested in) to take a turn with your main read
4. What’s a really rad thing we could do during the next Read-a-thon that would make you smile?
what is "rad"?
5. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again?
I loved this one, would love to participate again
Would you be interested in volunteering to help organize and prep?
no chance

message 22: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments Just started, let's see how it will go

message 23: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) | 771 comments Opening Survey.

Location. I am in South Texas, US

Looking Forward, I am looking forward to reading. Summer by Edith Wharton

Snacking. I am looking forward to weak sweet iced tea flavored with lime wedges. If I want to sipping for most of 24 hours it must be weak.

Something about me. I am housesitting. The old gray tabby tomcat is sleeping near my feet. We are great companions he and I.

Number of Readathons, This is my first. A GR friend Beth suggested this Readathon. Am enjoying it :-)

message 24: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) | 771 comments Good Luck Lamilla! I will be here for a couple of more couple of hours, maybe. If you need encouragement. . . . .

message 25: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments Good luck with your first readathon, Cynda! This is my second one, very looking forward to a day of reading :)

message 26: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 1300 comments Opening survey

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Portugal

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
Just hoping to finish the ones I'm reading now, Macaber Carnaval and The Alienist.

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
No snacks, but a really big lunch (will be going out).

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I'm a book and a cat lover.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today?
Well I'm having quite a busy day so it won't be a regular readathon for me. I'll just try and squeeze in as many hours of reading as I can.

So far not even 1 hour of reading done + 45 minutes of social media.... Woke up early but just couldn't stay awake lol

Good luck everybody!

message 27: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments How you doing so far, Lamilla? Did you need to sleep? I did. lol. Good luck!

message 28: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments To my surprise I started the readathon with the new book, not on my TBR previously. Любовь живет три года by Frédéric Beigbeder It is very engaging, I'm more than two thirds in it already

How are you'all doing so far?

message 29: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments I've finished Любовь живет три года by Frédéric Beigbeder and started Печенье счастья by Kerstin Lundberg Hahn . It looks like an easy read, so I like my chances of finishing it today as well

message 30: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 1300 comments Mid-Event Survey

1. What are you reading right now? Still Macaber Carnaval and The Alienist....
2. How many books have you read so far? Ehhh....0....
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? 😬🙈
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Many many many, by now I've just accepted them....
5. What surprises you most about the Reverse Readathon so far? I've never been this far behind on my reading goals....

So I went out for (a very big) lunch. Finally home and ready to do some reading....finally....I hope....

message 31: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments I'll do one as well

1. What are you reading right now?
Печенье счастья by Kerstin Lundberg Hahn and Mort (Discworld, #4) by Terry Pratchett

2. How many books have you read so far?
One

3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
Probably Mort (Discworld, #4) by Terry Pratchett

4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
I went on a walk - but managed to get some reading time even then. I also didn't intend to read the whole 24 hours nonstop, so

5. What surprises you most about the Reverse Readathon so far?
People are quite active, it's such a pleasure!

message 32: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments I have some progress with both Печенье счастья by Kerstin Lundberg Hahn and Mort (Discworld, #4) by Terry Pratchett . Loving the latter!

message 33: by Kate (new)

Kate | 409 comments Hi Lamilla,
Mort is a great choice - I love a good Terry Pratchett and that's one of the best! I'm about to start Bride of the Water God, Volume 1 which I believe you sent me through Bookcrossing! I'll journal it soon so you know how I got on. :)

message 34: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments Kate wrote: "Hi Lamilla,
Mort is a great choice - I love a good Terry Pratchett and that's one of the best! I'm about to start Bride of the Water God, Volume 1 which I believe you sent me through..."

Ah, nice! I used to follow the series

message 35: by Lamilla (last edited Jul 28, 2018 11:58AM) (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments I've read a bit from all the books I have for this readathon Die Wand by Marlen Haushofer , Печенье счастья by Kerstin Lundberg Hahn and Mort (Discworld, #4) by Terry Pratchett

message 36: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (willcaxton) | 11 comments Why didn't I ever hear about this - it sounds great fun. I was alerted thanks to a notification on my Home page about one of Lamilla's postings.
Too late this time round, but I'll try to give it a go next time.
And well done everyone for your reading efforts.
And btw I'm currently reading The Muse and The Music Shop - one upstairs and one downstairs, and Witch Hunt (Syd Moore version) in my bag for train journeys.

message 37: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 1300 comments Barbara wrote: "Why didn't I ever hear about this - it sounds great fun. I was alerted thanks to a notification on my Home page about one of Lamilla's postings.
Too late this time round, but I'll try to give it a..."

It IS a lot of fun Barbara! The next one will be in October (and then April) if I'm right! Check out 24hourreadathon.com

The 24in48 readathon (January and July) is a lot of fun as well! Check out 24in48.com

message 38: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) | 771 comments Thanks Susy for that info. Will definitely be back. This Readathon is a way to get some shorter works read and to add to my GR reading goal numbers :-)

message 39: by Mounica (new)

Mounica Srinivas (mounisri) | 5 comments Hi all ,

1) I am from India
2) i am looking forward to complete Jonathan strange and Mr Norrell , looks like its going to take more of my time than i had imagined ( i made some great progress though today)
3) Its 2.30am so no snacks now 😄
4) I am a pure classics lover when it comes to books
5) its my first readathon and i had to break so many times (visits from friends , calls and all ) - but i realised readathons are so much fun than i ever imagined , thank u guys

😍

message 40: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 1300 comments Cynda wrote: "Thanks Susy for that info. Will definitely be back. This Readathon is a way to get some shorter works read and to add to my GR reading goal numbers :-)"

👍👍 you're welcome! 😊

message 41: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) | 771 comments I was hoping to get through Book1 and deep into Book2 of Utopia

I thought I could do it as are-read. I read it way back in college. But I have expanded as a person since then--by decades--so I am almost doing a first read.

I will continue reading past Readathon.

message 42: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments Closing survey
It was pretty even this time, but I was most active at the middle of the readathon (hours 12-16)

Любовь живет три года by Frédéric Beigbeder - started and finished
Печенье счастья by Kerstin Lundberg Hahn - started, read 70 pages
Mort (Discworld, #4) by Terry Pratchett - read about 20 pages
Die Wand by Marlen Haushofer - read 5-10 pages

Harry Potter seems like a good choice any time

4. What’s a really rad thing we could do during the next Read-a-thon that would make you smile?
what is "rad"?
I would love to participate again
no chance

message 43: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) | 771 comments Lamilla wrote: "Closing survey
It was pretty even this time, but I was most active at the middle of the readathon (hours 12-16)

[book..."

Hi Lamilla. "Rad" means very good. 80s surfer or Valley speak, one or the other.

message 44: by Cynda (last edited Jul 28, 2018 11:57PM) (new)

Cynda  (cynda) | 771 comments Lamilla wrote: "Closing survey

[book..."

Hi Lamilla. "Rad" means very good. 80s surfer or Valley speak, one or the other.

message 45: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments Oh, I see. Thanks, Cynda!

message 46: by Lamilla (last edited Sep 29, 2018 04:36AM) (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments A little reminder for myself:

Readathon starts for me at 15:00, Saturday, 20 October 2018

Starting survey
1. What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
2. Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
3. Which snack are you most looking forward to?
4. Tell us a little something about yourself!
5. If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?

Mid-readathon survey
1. What are you reading right now?
2. How many books have you read so far?
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
5. What surprises you most about the Readathon so far?

Closing survey
4. What’s a great thing we could do during the next Read-a-thon that would make you smile?

message 47: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments With only a couple of days left, time to think of the TBR

Last time having a comic book or short book helped me a lot. Maybe it's time to get to all these manga I have but never quite found time to look through

What are your TBRs, guys? Or do you read spontaneously?

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Lamilla wrote: "With only a couple of days left, time to think of the TBR

Last time having a comic book or short book helped me a lot. Maybe it's time to get to all these manga I have but never quite found time t..."

My plan is to read, The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas , Ninth Key (The Mediator, #2) by Meg Cabot

message 49: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments @Oda, The Count of Monte Cristo is more that 1000 pages long! I salute your determination

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Lamilla wrote: "@Oda, The Count of Monte Cristo is more that 1000 pages long! I salute your determination"

Oh. I dident notice, I want to start it at least.

« previous 1 3 4 5