Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Mary King Live Readathon Updates

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary King (maryk13) Hello Everyone!

This is my first time participating in the Dewey 24-Hour Readathon so I am pretty excited for tomorrow. I live in Pioche, Nevada so will be starting 5am my time. The weather must have known I needed a reason to lay around and read tomorrow as we are expecting a high wind warning with 30 mph gusts!

So to begin I'm going to polish off this book I've almost finished:
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Guide, #1) by Mackenzi Lee

Then on to some books I've had on my "to-read" shelf for YEARS. I'll be happy just to crack into each one, not necessarily finish the lot.
The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1) by Jean M. Auel Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank The Book of Joy Lasting Happiness in a Changing World by Dalai Lama XIV

In-between palate cleansers I've been rereading this year:
The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5) by Robert Jordan New Spring (Wheel of Time, #0) by Robert Jordan

Audible for when I can't keep my eyes open haha:
Hawaii by James A. Michener

Looking forward to chatting with everyone in between!

See you in four hours and happy reading everyone <3

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary King (maryk13) A bit late to the start, but ready to go! I have my coffee and powerseed bread with peanut butter and sugar-free jelly at my side.

Really feeling some spiritual wisdom so am starting out with
The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World

I also plan on doing a few mini-challenges in a bit. Will be posting my entries here.

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 157 comments Your snack sounds good, I need to go grab one myself now!

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary King (maryk13) 1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Pioche, Nevada USA - An old western mining town. Beautiful mile-high mountains in the desert.

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Alas, Babylon It's been on my to-read for ages and I love a good post-apocolyptic dystopian!

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Pizza and an Asian Salad yummm!

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I'm a thirty year-old woman living her best life owning a restored Hotel & Saloon (Overlandhotel.com if you're interested in checking us out!).

A lot of people think it's haunted (I don't really believe in that sort of thing, but I'm not going to rain on anyones parade!) So we have a lot of Ghost Adventure type shows/groups that come to investigate. It's a lot of fun for the locals, they get to tell their most dramatic ghost stories.
As my favorite local historian liked to say, "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story" - I couldn't agree more!

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
This is my first readathon and I am over the moon with all the amazing people I've already met, not to mention the incredible books I keep seeing others reading and adding to my "to-read" shelf.

I'm most excited for the community aspect and the scavenger hunt. Finally cracking into some long-time want-to-read's is also something to which I'm really looking forward.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary King (maryk13) Sarah wrote: "Your snack sounds good, I need to go grab one myself now!"

Oh I am addicted to to peanut butter and jelly lately. Can't argue with a classic!

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary King (maryk13) I'll Be Gone in the Dark One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara

Adding the book on the Golden State Killer written by Patton Oswalds late wife Michelle McNamara. A fascinating story we get to see unfold now that he's been caught.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary King (maryk13) Going down for the evening. My progress for my first year was a little lackluster, but I'm still glad I gave it a go! Thank you everyone for the incredible planning it took in making this such a fun event.

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue - 296 pages

The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World - 62 Pages