UHS Honors English 9 P2 2017 discussion

Blink (The power of thinking without thinking)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Breanna (new)

Breanna | 8 comments Breanna Yalen

4/22/18

Honors English 9

Mr. Hilbert

This Story Not Told

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, was written by author and speaker, Malcolm Gladwell. Gladwell wrote this book to educate people about "snap judgments” that our minds make without us even realizing it. Choices seem to happen in a blink of an eye, but what’s important to understand is why. Through the use of language, the process of thin-slicing, snap judgements, and scientific facts and experiments, Gladwell is able to establish a greater understanding in his readers on why our subconscious minds act the way they do.
To start the book, Gladwell uses a scenario that has a very interesting result. A famous greek sculpture that was up for sale, had many different outlooks and approaches. This $10,000,000.00 piece of art was put for further examination and testing to be sure that it was really worth its value. While trying to evaluate the piece, interviewers were making very sudden negative judgements about the piece. This concerned many peoples as no one knew the real reason why this was occuring. After all, professional researchers spent ours examining the piece and proved it to be real. However, the matter was opened again, and it turned out that those “snap judgmentsBlink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking” were right. It took within a few minutes to fully realize that our brains can analyze things in seconds. This is the beauty of thinking without thinking. It's amazing that we are finding out what sparks this kind of thinking to happen.
Another few experiments that were similar resulted in the same way. A psychology experiment took place, considering the overall possibility of newly married couples to get a divorce. The scientists watching the experiment could accurately assume the outcome of the marriage, in only three minutes. Their main focus was on the actions and movements of the newlyweds in their own home. They also closely looked at the words they were saying back and forth to each other, and how it affected their body language and tone. This is the idea of “thin slicing”, the ability to find patterns and in certain events based on little time, and narrow windows of experience. Thin slicing is a key tool in trying to understand the situation in as little time as possible. We use these gifts that our brains give us and we don’t even realize it. It happens in a blink of an eye.
Lastly, an interesting outlook on the author gives the readers some confusion about his message. He talks about the extraordinary gift that we have in our brains, but this idea contrast with his other point that too often, people rely on their snap judgments to make decisions. His point is, although we have this amazing talent, we take it for granted and should not forget to focus on the other parts of our brain. However, it's important to understand our own views with the knowledge we are being given.
As you can see, the experiments conducted, thin slicing and snap judgments, and his own interpretation, are the main reasons that make his book successful. Each part of the book has a new outlook on the situation which also makes it very exciting to read. It has personally affected my perspective of thinking, and what more our lives have to offer. Our society needs to be education on what happens inside of us. Our world lives this life every day and this book is giving us the opportunity to comprehend our minds and change the way the world thinks.

Citation:
Gladwell, Malcolm. Blink: The Power Of Thinking Without Thinking. New York : Little, Brown And Co., 2005. Print.

message 2: by Hailey (new)

Hailey | 8 comments Just like in the tipping point, this book goes over strange things that occur and why. In your review I thought it was interesting how you said that each part of the book has a different outlook on it making it very interesting to read. That makes the book sound very intriguing and exciting to read. When I first began reading your review I figured the book couldn't be that exciting because of how the tipping point was, but they way you described the book I am interested in reading it. The way the experiments took place and how you explained them makes the book seem very appealing.

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret  H | 4 comments This book sounds a lot like the tipping point. It focuses on peoples mind and how that affects how we think, and also explains the reasoning behind those thoughts. When I first read your review I was intrigued, it caught my attention and made me keep reading. Your use of words made the book sound interesting. You made the book sound appealing, and it made me want to read it. The way that you explained the writing in the book was excellent.