Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

The Woman Left Behind (GO-Team, #2)
This topic is about The Woman Left Behind
Book of the Month > May '18 BOTM - The Woman Left Behind

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - added it

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 1121 comments Mod
Jina Modell works in Communications for a paramilitary organization, and she really likes it. She likes the money, she likes the coolness factor—and it was very cool, even for Washington, DC. She liked being able to kick terrorist butts without ever leaving the climate-controlled comfort of the control room.

But when Jina displays a really high aptitude for spatial awareness and action, she’s reassigned to work as an on-site drone operator in the field with one of the GO-teams, an elite paramilitary unit. The only problem is she isn’t particularly athletic, to put it mildly, and in order to be fit for the field, she has to learn how to run and swim for miles, jump out of a plane, shoot a gun...or else be out of a job.

Team leader Levi, call sign Ace, doesn’t have much confidence in Jina—who he dubbed Babe as soon as he heard her raspy, sexy voice—making it through the rigors of training. The last thing he needs is some tech geek holding them back from completing a dangerous, covert operation. In the following months, however, no one is more surprised than he when Babe, who hates to sweat, begins to thrive in her new environment, displaying a grit and courage that wins her the admiration of her hardened, battle-worn teammates. What’s even more surprising is that the usually very disciplined GO-team leader can’t stop thinking about kissing her smart, stubborn mouth…or the building chemistry and tension between them.

Meanwhile, a powerful Congresswoman is working behind the scenes to destroy the GO-teams, and a trap is set to ambush Levi’s squad in Syria. While the rest of the operatives set off on their mission, Jina remains at the base to control the surveillance drone, when the base is suddenly attacked with explosives. Thought dead by her comrades, Jina escapes to the desert where, brutally tested beyond measure, she has to figure out how to stay undetected by the enemy and make it to her crew in time before they’re exfiltrated out of the country.

But Levi never leaves a soldier behind, especially the brave woman he’s fallen for. He’s bringing back the woman they left behind, dead or alive.

message 2: by Eve (last edited Apr 28, 2018 09:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments So excited for Linda Howard's newest book :) I got it and plan to start next weekend.

Methink synopsis sounds interesting. Its related to Troublemaker, so it will be fun to see how many of the characters from book #1 will make appearance or how books are connected. Come to think of, then Troublemaker left some threads open like in wait of a next book.

Marika | 78 comments I'm in the middle and really enjoying it.

message 4: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I was able to read it last month. I really liked the book, but the only downside, I felt, was that the climax came too soon and it could have been drawn out a little more. I thought it was so much better than Troublemaker

message 5: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - added it

I can't wait to get it - next month hopefully..!

message 6: by Eve (last edited May 12, 2018 10:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments So far very enjoyable and engrossing. And I don't like to read military themed books :o I enjoy nerdy / kickass / smartass heroines and Jina, aka Babe fills that role. Levi, aka Ace is oozing with testosterone.
Dee, you are right -- its so much better than Troublemaker.

message 7: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I just finished Woman Left Behind and I really enjoyed it, so I happily gave it 5 stars :)

What I like about LInda Howard is how she comes up with different plotlines and styles. We all have different tastes and expectations from our books, so I think everyone can find something they would like from LH's work. This one was definitely again something new and different from LH's usual stuff.

The heroine, Jina, was really good heroine. I liked her wit, determination, willpower and kickass attitude. Even thought after the desert ordeal, her reactions-actions sounded a little off the grit somehow. After she survived all those inhuman training months, she whined that she was left behind? What did you think about that?

Its sad that (view spoiler)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1610 comments She was never in the project expecting the rigorous training involved, but she dug deep and became stronger, both mentally and physically, for it. Jina had abandonment issues and when the team left her it triggered a lot of deeply buried feelings. I, frankly, don't blame her for whining. It was nothing short of a miracle she survived and that was directly due to the rigorous training.

message 9: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Good points Anita. Towards the end she herself had to make tough decision...

message 10: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (last edited May 30, 2018 10:24AM) (new) - added it

I'm getting my copy next week!!! My grandmother is bringing it with her from Canada. :) :) So excited!

I haven't read the above comments since I don't want to be spoiled but I'll try to read the book soon and then join in the discussion! :)

message 11: by Eve (last edited May 30, 2018 10:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments @Tanvi, great that you will get the book.
I hope you will enjoy it and join the discussion :)

message 12: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - added it

Eve wrote: "@Tanvi, great that you will get the book.
I hope you will enjoy it and join the discussion :)"

Thanks, Eve! Will do! :)