UHS Honors English 9 P2 2017 discussion

"Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hailey (new)

Hailey | 8 comments Mindy Kaling’s memoir is the most relatable book to ever read. Because of her witty and unique personality, she tells her story on how she grew up and came to where she is in a way that makes you enjoy reading her book. In her book she starts with her growing up with her friends in the 90’s. During her childhood and through high school she explains how she dealed with her own issues like her weight and style and making friends while dealing with her school life and parents. She then continues to tell the story f her going through college and meeting her best friends, and then trying to accomplish her dreams in New York. As she tells this though, she reminisces the past and tells funny stories that happened to her. The language she uses makes the readers feel comfortable and almost as if they were having a real conversation with her. Throughout the book she sways from topic to topic whether that be a childhood story or a story of her trying to make it as a tv writer in New York. Kaling eventually got some jobs with tv companies as a writer and then landed her best-known role as Kelly Kapore on the tv show “The Office.” When she was on the office she also wrote a lot of the episodes. But her journey to this was not easy. She grew up with a good education, ended up going to Dartmouth college, and then moved to New York. Even throughout her school years she had always been into comedy and acting and performing. After college her and her best friends left to accomplish their dreams. The book does not just explain this. Somehow Kaling twist the writing in a relatable and funny way. She adds things such as personal anecdotes and experiences throughout her life. One of my favorite things about the book are the funny chapter titles that capture the readers attention. Even the title is hilarious and relatable. She takes humiliating experiences and laughs at them and grows from them. she talks about her struggle to make it in them film industry and makes the readers laugh. This book is now one of my favorites because of how reading every chapter was so easy to get through and the way she wrote was so easy to relate to. I recommend reading this memoir because of how enjoyable it was for me to read.

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie | 8 comments This book sounds like it was super fun to read. I can tell I would like this book by how you described it. As you said, this book sounds super relatable and funny, which only makes me want to read it more. Many books I read are very fast paced, and very action-packed, but this seems like a well-needed change of pace. By describing the book as "having a real conversation" and making "the readers feel comfortable," I can get a sense of the book and how comfortable the word choice is to read. I will definitely be reading this book soon and I think it will end up becoming one of my favorites.

message 3: by Breanna (new)

Breanna | 8 comments First of all, I really enjoyed reading your review. It sounded like something that I could relate to as well because its easy and keeps you drawn in. Something I found interesting with your review is that you said it was from the 90's but to me its sound like a crazy teenagers life, at UHS, in 2018. The reason I compare it to this is because it sounds like her life is very busy and has its turns and twists. This is something that I am certain that I can relate to. Another point that I thought was the main factor of your review was the fact that you talked about her nostalgia. Talking about the past can be challenging and exciting. It reminds me of my grandmother and when she would tell me about her childhood. This book seems to somewhat have a modern yet historic town to it that interests me very much. I really like how I could totally feel your emotion in your review, and how you spoke intently about the joy you felt when reading this book. I look forward to reading this book.

message 4: by Dulce (last edited May 04, 2018 01:39PM) (new)

Dulce By your review this book sounds like it was entertaining to read, certainly keeping you engaged every page. You talk about how comedic it was with such confidence it would be very difficult not to take your word for it. I also like how you included the ways you thought Kaling's memoir is relatable. Whether that's through her experiences in school or later in life, it helps the readers already feel a connection with her story. Seems like she had to go through a lot to get to where she is now, the fact that she can talk about it all in a funny way sounds great. I've always enjoyed reading or listening to amusing stories that I can relate too. Your review presented the book in such a way that it has encouraged me to read it sometime.

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 8 comments Since this book is a memoir I assume it will be about her life, mainly how she grew up. You mention how she sways from topic to topic and that she feels like you're having a conversation with her. This is really interesting because I usually don't like books that jump back and froth in the timeline because they are hard to understand and overall confusing. Although, with this book, you mention how it reads as if she's conversing with you. I find this style of writing very easy to read and I'm curios how she manages to tell her life story fluently, and I hope effectively.