Polls for Our Souls discussion

Random > evaluate my profile :)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

『 jaelyn ♛』 (virtuscraps) | 42 comments heyy everyone!!! :) i just wanted to ask for some criteria/tips on my reviews and what you like/dislike about them. i plan to review for a longgg time so i'd like some advice c: anything is appreciated.

thank you !!!!! :)

message 2: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 13 comments There's no better advice than to write out your heart. Just be honest? And yeah, write for yourself, not for others or the likes. That was the first mistake I made while reviewing books. DONOT, I REPEAT, DONOT WRITE REVIEWS TO BE A PEOPLE PLEASER.
Write what you are feeling, start with how this book made you feel, go on by introducing the book and what you liked and disliked about the book. Who do you think would like the book? Who do you think should stay away from it? Just be honest with yourself and you'll be alright. And finally, remember it isn't a big deal. You might write a honest passion-filled review, that no one notices, and on the other hand a scorn-filled review might have garnered the most likes. Don't let it be the end of the world.Hope this helps :))

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (intergalacticbookdragon) Also DNF reviews are valid because there are many things that you might dislike that likely won't get fixed such the writing or perhaps you couldn't connect with the protagonist. Also don't stress out about reviewing every single book because sometimes you might not have a lot to say about a book. For example if it's in a series and you have the same likes and dislikes as the previous book then maybe just do a mini review or no review at all. Also make them orderly and easy to understand, and if you like maybe sometimes do something funny like once i saw a review that was written like an ancient Greek play but if you can't think of something like that don't worry :)

『 jaelyn ♛』 (virtuscraps) | 42 comments Fuzaila wrote: "There's no better advice than to write out your heart. Just be honest? And yeah, write for yourself, not for others or the likes. That was the first mistake I made while reviewing books. DONOT, I R..."

aahhh tysm!!! :) i used to do that a lot, but now i'm focusing on whether or not i enjoyed it. i think one of the main things i do is that if i'm interested in a book, but i see lke two 1 star reviews, im like "lol nvm" when really i should read it for myself.

『 jaelyn ♛』 (virtuscraps) | 42 comments Frank wrote: "Also DNF reviews are valid because there are many things that you might dislike that likely won't get fixed such the writing or perhaps you couldn't connect with the protagonist. Also don't stress ..."

thank you !!! c: that helps a lot! i remember seeing reviews in verse and in play format too lmao

message 6: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 13 comments - ̗̀ jaelyn ̖́- wrote: "Fuzaila wrote: "There's no better advice than to write out your heart. Just be honest? And yeah, write for yourself, not for others or the likes. That was the first mistake I made while reviewing b..."

Haha, exactly!! You cannot judge a book by one or two bad reviews.

message 7: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 324 comments There’s no right or wrong way. Are you reviewing for you, so you remember the book? Are you looking to help others decide whether to read it? Or are you aiming to be a serious critical reviewer?

Each book is also different. Some need only a short and sweet review, and others you’ll find a lot to talk about.

In general, I recommend not giving a synopsis; just tell what you liked and didn’t like or the book’s strengths and weaknesses.

『 jaelyn ♛』 (virtuscraps) | 42 comments Audrey wrote: "There’s no right or wrong way. Are you reviewing for you, so you remember the book? Are you looking to help others decide whether to read it? Or are you aiming to be a serious critical reviewer?

E..."

thank you !!!!!

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine | 17 comments I find it really helps to either on paper or on your phone, if you have a thought while reading to jot it down so you don't forget. Then your review can be a summary of those. It can also help to write about aspects in sections: character, plot, pacing, writing style and so on.