UHS Honors English 9 P2 2017 discussion

Keeper book review

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Masursky | 8 comments This book is an adventure from start to finish. The beginning, set in the sports journalist Paul Faustino’s office, where he is interviewing recent world cup champion Goalkeeper spoken of only by his nickname “El Gato” draws the reader in immediately. From the vivid imagery to the endearing banter between the two men as soon as you pick up this book, you know it will be a good one.
The author interestingly chose to tell the story entirely in the format of an interview. Because of this, throughout The Keeper’s tale Faustino will interrupt with questions, and more often, statements of disbelief. As the world renowned soccer player tells his long story that lead to the pinnacle of his career, starting in his tiny logging town in Brazil, and ending on the world’s biggest soccer stage, the reader is caught up in the unbelievable, creative, sad, and haunting tale of El Gato.
He starts as a young boy and his family, living in a small hut imagines him following his father’s footsteps, and every other man’s, and becoming a logger. But this boy had other ideas. He wanted to study animals and plants. Since his family did not approve of this, he would sneak into the forest to explore, and find specimens to observe. One day he's tumbles upon a soccer pitch and a mysterious mentor. Using the jungle, and all the lessons and secrets it holds this man turns the skinny, lanky boy into a strong man. Through a turn of fate he gets spotted and earns a spot on his national team, and the nickname El Gato, after his lightning fast reflexes and seemingly impossibly acrobatic saves.
This book has a magic quality that drew me in and would not let me put the book down. Perhaps it is because I relate so much to this book, but I had chills reading his story from playing soccer with a ball of rags to playing the million dollar game for the whole world. That is everyone’s dream, to be the best of the best in their sport so this book would resonate with any athlete. That being said, it is such an inviting that even people who do not enjoy soccer would delight in reading this book. It is hard to pin down but the story, setting, characters, and the underlying theme that there is magic in even the most mundane things makes this book impossible to put down until you have read every word, until you have experienced the ups and downs of playing professional sports, in such a raw and emotional way. Since he is such a young boy and is put through so much both by his family and his mentor, the reader can sympathize or maybe even empathize. All in all, people from all walks of life can appreciate the book Keeper by Mal Peet.

message 2: by Maddie (new)

Maddie Greene | 8 comments I am personally not a huge soccer fanatic and would not have read this book before, but after reading your review I feel like it is a very interesting book that I might enjoy. The details you provided grabbed my attention and pulled me in and I became hooked on the plot of this book. I would have thought that the story would be more understandable to soccer players or fans, but after reading this I feel like anyone can read this and learn a lot from the life story of "El Gato" while also being entertained and truly enjoying the book. This review was excellent and I definitely am more confident and excited about potentially reading this book.

message 3: by Dulce (last edited May 04, 2018 01:25PM) (new)

Dulce This doesn't seem like the type of book I would read, but after reading your review I just might give it a chance. Especially after you describe it as being magical and that the only way to feel that is by reading it. Also is sounds like a book full of adventure that keeps one entertained all throughout. Not to mention that it seems like El Gato had to overcome many difficulties to achieve his dreams, a lesson everyone should learn. Goals take time but through hardwork one can achieve anything. Your review gave me an inspirational viewpoint on his story without giving away every detail. It was well put together making me look forward to reading this book sometime soon.

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 8 comments Personally I don't play or watch soccer, however, from your review and how magical you claim this book to be I may delve deeper into the sport. I also don't typically read book that are interviews and but I do like to here professional opinions on some of the things I like. So, I see exactly why you like this book so much. Additionally, I'd like to know what kind of questions the author was asking that made the goalkeeper start from his childhood to answer them. The goalkeeper seems to have had a straightforward childhood that took a share turn for the better very suddenly. From how you described it I'd also like to see how this goalkeeper looks, being the agile yet muscular man he is, and even how the author looks because after all, this interview is face to face and I'd like to get to know the people in the room as this story is being told.

Matthew Spurlock | 8 comments I like watching soccer, but if im entirely honest i dont read about the players that often. At first, i thought it was going to be like a cliche underdog story but it sounds like it gives a plot twist from the very start when you said they originally wanted to study plants and insects. It is from a completely different upbringing than one might expect but this sounds interesting and i actually really want to try reading this book now. It feels like a breath of fresh air from the other books about the same topic so im definitely gonna pick this one up over the summer