dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bethany (new)

Bethany McKay | 23 comments hello!

message 2: by Bethany (new)

Bethany McKay | 23 comments Hour 9:

Enchanted April -- 64 pages

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (to my son) -- 30 pages completed

message 3: by Bethany (new)

Bethany McKay | 23 comments I did horrible last time! Let's hope I can do better this time, maybe?

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 665 comments Good luck! My philosophy is it all counts ;)

message 5: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 73 comments That is so true Bethany!

message 6: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Any reading is an accomplishment when the typical adult only reading 4 books per year! Which is so sad! Welcome back to the readathon!

message 7: by Bethany (last edited Oct 14, 2018 08:03PM) (new)

Bethany McKay | 23 comments I have a prelim list:
The Happiest Toddler on the Block by Harvey Karp (303 pp)
Laudato Si' by Pope Francis (176 pp)
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris (272 pp)
The Song Celestial by Sir Edwin Arnold (111 pp)
Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon (audiobook)

message 8: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Bethany wrote: "Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon (audiobook)..."

I loooove the Outlander series!

message 9: by Bethany (new)

Bethany McKay | 23 comments Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon (audiobook) -- 46:25

message 10: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments I own all of the books but I'm tempted to get them all on Audible as well, like I did with HP. I don't know if I'll ever re-read my physical books, they're all so big!! lol. Some of them I have the ebook and the physical book. Might as well round out the trifecta with audio. I've heard excellent things about Davina Porter. Good luck, Bethany!

message 11: by Bethany (new)

Bethany McKay | 23 comments Elyse, I am really enjoying these as audiobooks! I have a 16-month-old so reading is rather difficult. I can listen to this in bits and pieces throughout the day (car rides, while cooking, etc.) I have them all from Audible now (through book 8)!

message 12: by Bethany (new)

Bethany McKay | 23 comments The Song Celestial by Sir Edwin Arnold (111 pp) -- page 29

message 13: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Bethany wrote: "Elyse, I am really enjoying these as audiobooks! I have a 16-month-old so reading is rather difficult. I can listen to this in bits and pieces throughout the day (car rides, while cooking, etc.) I ..."

Awesome! I think I might get them slowly (1 credit a month!) and then get all of Tolkien's books too. I think I would do better with them as audio. I have read the original 4 LOTR books and they were slow going. I think audio will spice them up because I do want to re-read them!

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) I'm an audible addict. I have so many of them. Plus my library has an amazing selection. I honestly don't know how much reading I would get done without audiobooks.

message 15: by Bethany (new)

Bethany McKay | 23 comments Elyse,

Awesome idea! I used it one credit at a time, some free months, and recently they were buy one, get one free! So I was able to get the last two together (yay!) I can get the CDs from my library, but I can only listen to that in the car or on my DVD player, making things difficult.

message 16: by Bethany (new)

Bethany McKay | 23 comments The Happiest Toddler on the Block by Harvey Karp (303 pp) -- 114 pgs
The Song Celestial by Sir Edwin Arnold (111 pp) -- 29 pgs
Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon (audiobook) -- 46:25 minutes

message 17: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Bethany wrote: "Elyse,

Awesome idea! I used it one credit at a time, some free months, and recently they were buy one, get one free! So I was able to get the last two together (yay!) I can get the CDs from my lib..."

Yes it's awful that we don't have CD players/portables anymore but I'm still buying used audio CDs! lol.

message 18: by Bethany (new)

Bethany McKay | 23 comments We had to go to Mass at 5, so all I had time for was the audiobook and had to take a 1.5 hour break. I am also cooking dinner so audiobook it is!

The Happiest Toddler on the Block by Harvey Karp (303 pp) -- 114 pgs
The Song Celestial by Sir Edwin Arnold (111 pp) -- 29 pgs
Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon (audiobook) -- 2:06:10 minutes

message 19: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (vlgrantham) | 48 comments Are you liking The Happiest Toddler on the Block? I have an 18-month-old, and I've been picking up a few parenting books recently. Good luck in the second half of the readathon -- I hope you can find more time to read!

message 20: by Bethany (new)

Bethany McKay | 23 comments Virginia wrote: "Are you liking The Happiest Toddler on the Block? I have an 18-month-old, and I've been picking up a few parenting books recently. Good luck in the second half of the readathon -- I hope you can fi..."

YES! I love Dr. Karp. He is intelligent and funny, and his advice is easy to understand. Plus, it makes so much sense.

We loved "Happiest Baby on the Block" after reading so many sleep/soothing books that wouldn't give us straight-forward answers or solutions. Karp didn't emphasize sleep in that book, but it became a natural result of his technique!

I am really interested in this book and it is interesting enough to keep me reading! I think I am going to try "1-2-3 Magic" after this one, too.

message 21: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 576 comments Looks like you're having a great RAT! Keep it up!

message 22: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments You are doing great. I hope you are having fun.

message 23: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (vlgrantham) | 48 comments Bethany wrote: "Virginia wrote: "Are you liking The Happiest Toddler on the Block? I have an 18-month-old, and I've been picking up a few parenting books recently. Good luck in the second half of the readathon -- ..."

That's so great to hear! I enjoy a more straight-forward approach. I'll check it out soon!

message 24: by Jana (new)

Jana Eichhorn | 171 comments Me Talk Pretty One Day is hilarious! Hope you're having a great Readathon!

message 25: by Bethany (new)

Bethany McKay | 23 comments October 2020 prelim list:

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides (ebook)
The Dante Chamber (The Dante Club #2) by Matthew Pearl
All These Beautiful Strangers by Elizabeth Klehfoth
The Hollow of Fear (Lady Sherlock #3) by Sherry Thomas (audio)

message 26: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Welcome back, Bethany! I enjoyed The Silent Patient and I love the Lady Sherlock series!

message 27: by Bethany (new)

Bethany McKay | 23 comments Elyse wrote: "Welcome back, Bethany! I enjoyed The Silent Patient and I love the Lady Sherlock series!"

Thanks, Elyse! I love Lady Sherlock. Thanks for The Silent Patient approval. I was nervous about that one.

message 28: by Bethany (last edited Oct 23, 2020 07:22PM) (new)

Bethany McKay | 23 comments Update:

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides (ebook)
The Dante Chamber (The Dante Club #2) by Matthew Pearl
All These Beautiful Strangers by Elizabeth Klehfoth
The Hollow of Fear (Lady Sherlock #3) by Sherry Thomas (audio)
The Black Monday Murders by Jonathan Hickman (comic/graphic novel)
The Rule of One by Ashley Saunders and Leslie Saunders (ebook)
Say Goodbye to Survival Mode by Crystal Paine (ebook)

message 29: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 1300 comments Welcome back and happy readathoning Bethany!

message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma | 166 comments Elyse wrote: "I own all of the books but I'm tempted to get them all on Audible as well, like I did with HP. I don't know if I'll ever re-read my physical books, they're all so big!! lol. Some of them I have the..."

Davina Porter is FABULOUS! She sucks me in and drags me down the rabbit hole completely! I have listened so the whole series (so far) narrated by her. I am currently reading the physical books but find myself longing for her to be reading them to me instead <3

message 31: by Bethany (new)

Bethany McKay | 23 comments 5 hours in: Had to run emergency errands, and then come home and take care of the kids. So I am listening to "The Hollow of Fear", almost 2 hours of listening.

message 32: by Bethany (new)

Bethany McKay | 23 comments 4am ET: just finished one book, The Black Monday Murders

message 33: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Hope you had a good readathon, Bethany!