Night  (The Night Trilogy, #1) Night discussion

Night Review

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Steven Geiger Night was the autobiography of Elie Wiesel in world war two. Being a young Jewish boy, he went through many unforgettable hardships that bon of us could ever endure in our lives. He wrote Night 11 years after the holocaust (1956). The book goes through the hardships that he personally and what most Jewish people had to endure during the holocaust.
Night being an autobiography was told in the first person of the experiences and feelings going through younger Weisel. The story starts off with him being twelve years old, he has two older sisters, Hilda and Bea, and a younger sister, Tzipora. He studies Jewish mystical texts which is strange for a teenager. Hungarian government falls to the fascist regime of Germany. Jews are force into small ghettos and forced to wear yellow stars, that allow officers to ably identify Jews. Nazis began to deport the Jews in increments and Eliezer’s family were the last to go, they are moved to a smaller ghetto where someone offers to hide them. Unfortunately for them they declined the offer. They were then shipped off to Auschwitz, they are shipped off on trains, and are told they won’t be separated from their families. Elie is separated from with mother and sisters, who he never saw again, and him and his dad lie about their age to stay together and live on. Here in Auschwitz Wiesel's story takes place in the most, where he faces the biggest challenge in world war two, Live on. The story stays there until 1944 where rumors that the Russians are coming and the Nazis decide to evacuate the camp. They ran 42 miles without rest in freezing weather and only 12 made it to the destination, Elie’s Father was not one of them, he was trampled to death after deciding he could run no further.
The book Night shows the horrific story that over six million Jews had to endure in the Holocaust during World War Two. We can easily see these horrific images painted into our minds through Wiesel’s imagery usage in this story. I feel many students should read this book in sixth grade or higher, it is important for them to understand on of the most horrifically unbearable time for the human race. They need to understand how it affected those who survived. I would recommend if you haven’t read this book you go and do it, not because it is just a great story but also because of the historical value it possesses.

message 2: by T. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T. Renee Excellent story. Great illustrations on strength, suffering and resilience.

message 3: by Terri (last edited Aug 19, 2018 09:05PM) (new) - added it

Terri This is one of the books that I can say has impacted me and that has made think differently honestly. When I read this book, there was moments where I could picture the horrors Mr. Wiesel talked about during his experience while in the concentration camp. The book is intended to be dark due to the contents that are being written about. Despite the dark contents of the book, the author makes you feel like you are right there with him. Not just that, the amount of mental pain it takes to write about such a horrific experience that he and 6 million Jews suffered must take a lot of toll on him. The book has not just personal meaning, but it is important since it shows how at one time us humans treated other humans. Overall, the book has been one of the most impactful books I have read in such a long time which would surely impact others as well

message 4: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Walter I have known that Elie Wiesel was an author and holocaust survivor, but had never read any of his books. This is auto-biographical and covers the time he spent at Auschwitz. I have read quite a few Holocaust books, and they need to be spaced out for the sanity of the reader. Wiesel's mantra was "Never Forget". This was one of those never to be forgotten reading experiences, from Elie's arrival at Auschwitz as a boy of 15, stepping off the cattle car to big chimneys and the smell of charred flesh, to the liberation by American troops at Buchenwald. It details so many horrors that they couldn't begin to be recounted here. A few of those horrors involved sickness and starvation so desperate and prolonged as to cause men to abandon and even victimize one another for a crumb of bread.

I was hugely impressed with what Elie Weizel did with the rest of his life. He was awarded the United States Congressional Gold Medal of achievement , the French Legion of Honor, and in 1986, the Nobel Peace Prize. There were many, many more awards, including approximately 75 honorary doctorates. He wrote many books and one play. I have read that throughout his long life, he refused to completely abandon his belief in God as caretaker of His people, while at the same time he questioned God’s seeming indifference to Jewish suffering.

Wiesel died at the age of 91 in his home in Manhattan, New York, on July 2, 2016.