Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Hour 19 Discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelley (last edited Apr 28, 2018 10:56PM) (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 421 comments Mod
It is Hour 19 and in my time zone, that means it is 1:00 AM. As I am in a life that forces me, a natural night owl, into an early bird life, it is RARE that I'm up this late, unless I'm on vacation or you know, reading for 24 hours. LOL So I'm hitting that wall where it is really really hard to stay awake.

So let's talk. How is your readathon going so far this round? Have you hit any walls yet? Have you read any books you just' couldn't get in to? What has been your favorite book so far?

message 2: by Kelley (new)

Samantha wrote: "Hi, my readathons going well. Though I hit a bit of a wall a few hours ago with the book I was reading, but I switched it up and read a different book, I'm now ready to go back to that first book. ..."

I admit, I've been struggling more than usual this go round. I'm so tired from my busy schedule that I've had a really hard time staying awake. I fell asleep during the hour 16 sprint and basically slept from then until i started my hour here.

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 526 comments Mod
I've been doing ok, but I have noticed that this group is a lot less active this time than it was during the last readathon, at least after about hour 16. Last time I did a co-moderator slot at hour 20, and there were more people active during that hour, compared to this time when I was co-mod for hour 18, 2 hours earlier in the night than before, and there was hardly anyone posting anywhere on the group. And almost everybody seems distracted and tired this time.
I do need to make myself another cup of coffee, though, before diving into a book again. It is 30min after midnight here now, so I'll be drinking several more cups of coffee before hour 24 for sure.

message 4: by Kelley (new)

Jamie wrote: "I've been doing ok, but I have noticed that this group is a lot less active this time than it was during the last readathon, at least after about hour 16. Last time I did a co-moderator slot at hou..."

Sorry I missed your guest mod hour. I admit, I was asleep. :-/ I'm coming off a rough work week where we had a huge emergency that had me working a lot more hours than usual. And since I'm leaving for vacation on Thursday, I've been trying to get everything done i need to do on top of that. Usually I make it at least until hour 19 when I start to struggle. that's why I picked this hour to guest mod actually, experience tells me this hour is when I really start to struggle and need help staying awake. This year i started crashing during hour 16.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 89 comments I agree that it seems like the boards aren't very active during this readathon. I've been going really steady all day. Hour 19 is 1:00 AM for me as well, and I am most definitely a morning person. I haven't napped at all today, so I'm really surprised that I've stayed awake so long. I'm currently listening to an audiobook, but not sure how much longer I'll be able to hold out. I'm pretty happy with all of the reading I've done today, so I might give in and go to bed soon. Thank you to those of you who volunteered to moderate during these late hours!

message 6: by tahlia_ted (new)

tahlia_ted I fell asleep a couple times I've slept about 5 hours. I finished 2 books and city of bones has been my favourite so far.

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 526 comments Mod
Kelley wrote: "Jamie wrote: "I've been doing ok, but I have noticed that this group is a lot less active this time than it was during the last readathon, at least after about hour 16. Last time I did a co-moderat..."

No worries. All the social media sites seem pretty slow tonight compared to what they've been like during past readathons. For some reason this one is just tougher for just about everybody, apparently. I'm a co-mod for a facebook group where usually we have several active Deweys threads during these readathons, and that group has been almost totally inactive today. Lots of folks have said they are working or have obligations that prevent them from doing most of the 24hrs of this one. Hopefully lots of folks are just not online because they are reading, too, of course. :)

message 8: by Kelley (new)

Sarah wrote: "I agree that it seems like the boards aren't very active during this readathon. I've been going really steady all day. Hour 19 is 1:00 AM for me as well, and I am most definitely a morning person. ..."

glad to hear you are still going strong Sarah! Keep at it! And thank you! I did the late hours to help keep me awake and going and it has certainly done it's job. Though I'm sure the couple hors I slept helped as well. :-)

message 9: by Kelley (new)

tahlia_ted wrote: "I fell asleep a couple times I've slept about 5 hours. I finished 2 books and city of bones has been my favourite so far."

I've read far less than I usually do. I've only finished two books. my current audio book is my favorite so far.

message 10: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments I'm pretty pleased with my page count which is what I'd rather go by than how many books read. :) I hit that wall at midnight and slept for 5 hours.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.