Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Hour 9 Discussion

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelley (last edited Apr 28, 2018 01:08PM) (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 421 comments Mod
Hello and welcome to my guest hosting hour.

For me, Hour 9 falls at 3:00 PM when I'm typically starting to get antsy from sitting for so long. So for me, it's time to get up, stretch, listen to the audio book while I putter around getting some things done (I leave for vacation on Thursday and have a LOT to do before then.)

So that brings us to this hour's discussion question.

What do YOU do when you start to hit that point where everything distracts you and you are tired of mostly just sitting for several hours? How do you keep motivated to continue readathoning?

message 2: by GabsAboutBooks (new)

GabsAboutBooks They best way for me to keep motivated it to take a small break...maybe get out of the house. Get some lunch and caffeine. Sometimes you just need to put the books down and get away from reading.

message 3: by Kelley (new)

Gabby (GabsAboutBooks) wrote: "They best way for me to keep motivated it to take a small break...maybe get out of the house. Get some lunch and caffeine. Sometimes you just need to put the books down and get away from reading."

I've had a few readathons where I made a point to take a walk every few hours or where i was running a race (last year I was running a half marathon at the beginning of the readathon) or participating in the ACS Relay for Life with a lot of walking. So yes, exercise and a change of scenery definitely help!.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth | 32 comments Yet again I am at work for 8 hours of the read-a-thon (this seems to happy to me every read-a-thon). I work in a public library, but there's no chance to read on the job. I'll begin my reading in an hour when I'm off work for the day and hope to finish one book (at least).

When I get sleepy, which I am now, I usually take a 20 minute power nap and then get up and get outside to clear the cobwebs. A little protein thrown in and I'll be good to go for hours yet!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 457 comments I was actually out and about during this afternoon rush. At the end of noon cleaned at parents with audiobook. 2ish was 10 min grocery store run, audio in car on way to Starbucks for coffee shop reading on Paperwhite, and then lunch / salad bar at Ruby Tuesday for paperwhite reading. Now home and pleasantly relaxing :)

message 6: by Kelley (new)

Beth wrote: "Yet again I am at work for 8 hours of the read-a-thon (this seems to happy to me every read-a-thon). I work in a public library, but there's no chance to read on the job. I'll begin my reading in a..."

power naps are my best friend during the readathon. well power naps and caffeine. LOL I will take a few short naps between beginning and end of the readathon for about 30 minutes or so, to keep me a little fresher and ready to read.

message 7: by Kelley (new)

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "I was actually out and about during this afternoon rush. At the end of noon cleaned at parents with audiobook. 2ish was 10 min grocery store run, audio in car on way to Starbucks for coffee shop re..."

Change of scenery certainly helps! I will move from location to location in my home, or outside, or yes, starbucks, throughout the day to change it up a bit. I've had to keep stopping to do laundry today too so the audio book keeps me company during those times as well.

message 8: by Mel (new)

Mel | 25 comments As this is my very first readathon I don’t have many tips, but yours are all really good and I’ll keep them in mind. But I can’t really go for a walk or do some sports as it is quite late here, but I am currently strolling through the house and drinking water :D

message 9: by Kelley (last edited Apr 28, 2018 01:51PM) (new)

Abookfangirl wrote: "As this is my very first readathon I don’t have many tips, but yours are all really good and I’ll keep them in mind. But I can’t really go for a walk or do some sports as it is quite late here, but..."

whatever works! And welcome to the addiction that is the readathon! I hope you're having fun with your first time at it.

message 10: by Mel (new)

Mel | 25 comments Thank you and yes it’s really great! Can’t remember the last time I read that much haha xD
(Somehow I’m unable to reply directly to you while on the mobile app... hmm)

message 11: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments I usually get up and do a little housework. Or I stretch and watch tv. Something to rest my brain.

message 12: by Kelley (new)

Abookfangirl wrote: "Thank you and yes it’s really great! Can’t remember the last time I read that much haha xD
(Somehow I’m unable to reply directly to you while on the mobile app... hmm)"

i hope you like it enough to come back in October. I've been doing it for 5 or 6 years now, at least.

message 13: by Kelley (new)

Shannan wrote: "I usually get up and do a little housework. Or I stretch and watch tv. Something to rest my brain."

i'm having to do housework today. Usually I try not to so I can focus on reading, but my schedule last week and this coming week meant I have to do some during the readathon.

message 14: by Lupe (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 43 comments I recently acquired an Apple Watch and was just now prompted to get up and stand! So that was good! But I usually take a break by perusing all the social media pages and Dewey’s page. I try to avoid Facebook at all costs because then I will never get back to reading!!! I recently started a book blog so I’ve been taking breaks and updating there all day also!

message 15: by Mel (new)

Mel | 25 comments I’d really like to, we’ll see if I’ll have time... it does always fall on a weekend, does it?

message 16: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 1300 comments Changing where and how I sit, getting up to get a drink (I only take a glass so I have to get up more often), checking out readathon posts. If nothing works, I’ll take a shower.

message 17: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments I either change my location or if I'm getting tired I switch to audio and use Audible's timer for 30 minutes at a time so that if I fall asleep, I don't miss too much.

message 18: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 146 comments I get online and start checking on ppl reading. It's definitely time to look at readathon twitter and facebook!!

message 19: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Apr 28, 2018 06:43PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I play "follow me kitty" when his built in timer says I've not been sufficiently worshipful and behind a device too long. I did walk to end of driveway for mail and socialized with neighbor's several times outside (we've had so much bad weather here I think everyone has been kinda hibernating then come out for Derby stuff and spring yard work).

I should break by doing yard work, laundry and housecleaning -- but, those are things I partly use he readsthon to avoid. Towards the end of Readathon, I do tend to do laundry because the "buzz" of cycles jar me up.

message 20: by Kelley (last edited Apr 28, 2018 11:16PM) (new)

Lupe wrote: "I recently acquired an Apple Watch and was just now prompted to get up and stand! So that was good! But I usually take a break by perusing all the social media pages and Dewey’s page. I try to avoi..."

that certainly helps when your watch or fitness band device prompts you it is time to move. :-)

message 21: by Kelley (new)

Abookfangirl wrote: "I’d really like to, we’ll see if I’ll have time... it does always fall on a weekend, does it?"

yes it is always on a weekend. The next one will be in October, sometime towards the end of the month.

message 22: by Kelley (new)

Susy wrote: "Changing where and how I sit, getting up to get a drink (I only take a glass so I have to get up more often), checking out readathon posts. If nothing works, I’ll take a shower."

i don't do a lot of blog surfing myself during readathon but i do like to take breaks to check out the goodreads group.

message 23: by Kelley (new)

Elyse wrote: "I either change my location or if I'm getting tired I switch to audio and use Audible's timer for 30 minutes at a time so that if I fall asleep, I don't miss too much."

i love my audible app! i use it ALL the time. Listening right now actually. :-)

message 24: by Kelley (new)

Newly wrote: "I get online and start checking on ppl reading. It's definitely time to look at readathon twitter and facebook!!"

i don't do twitter but i am a facebook junkie. :-)

message 25: by Kelley (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) wrote: "I play "follow me kitty" when his built in timer says I've not been sufficiently worshipful and behind a device too long. I did walk to end of driveway for mail and socialized with neighbor's sever..."

yes the kitties are great for that. At this very moment, i have one on my lap who i am typing around, one behind me on the couch, head butting the back of my head, and one laying next to me on the couch.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.