UHS Honors English 9 P2 2017 discussion

Tangerine
This topic is about Tangerine
Tangerine Book Review

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thi (new) - added it

Thi Truong | 8 comments Journey through the life of Paul Fisher as he moves to Lake Windsor Downs in Tangerine by Edward Bloor. This realistic fiction is a composition of different journal entries at different times of the day written by Fisher on his adventure to get through seventh grade and his family. From his home in Houston to Tangerine County, Florida, his family--His mother, his father, and his brother (Erik Fisher)--are like “big fish in a little pond,”; they are expected to accomplish great feats. Paul lives in the shadow of his brother, Erik Fisher, and he wonders what role he has in the “Erik Fisher Football Dream” as his brother was star kicker of his old high school in Houston. Erik is seemingly charming to everyone he meets and is the person that would always catch a foreign eye’s attention between the brothers, but as the novel develops, his outwardly behavior is revealed to be shrouded in lies and a past of violence with Paul.
Paul is legally blind; “Eclipse Boy,” his past nickname, is said to be the reason for his thick lenses. As he was young, he was rumored to have stared at an eclipse for a hour and blinded himself in the process, but for unknown reason, he cannot recall the events that happened during the time and why he would decide to look directly at an eclipse in the first place. From that point, he grew up being bullied and was known as the kid that would scare other children into listening to what their parents had to say because he was proof of the consequences. As he was young, Paul was also victim to constant moving due to his father’s profession in civil engineering, the motive for him being in Lake Windsor Downs now, and that seemed to be the reason for Paul not being as largely affected by the names he was called throughout his childhood and the nicknames he has now. As a seventh grader, Fisher finally learns of his past in fragments of events and the truth about the monster living under the same roof. We are taken through a lesson of confidence, friendship, and letting go in Tangerine.
The book itself is very easy to read and understandable, but at the same time, it seemed to be predictable. The mysteries that surround the Fisher family and the new development, Lake Windsor Downs, can be easily guessed by readers, but while reading the novel, I found that the external conflict was not the main showcase but the internal within Paul and what he saw other people, such as his family and close friends, display. Characters in the book were mainly incredibly attached to a certain goal or type of standard they were meant to uphold and that ran their lives. The development of characters also principally drove the story along as people impacted the behavior of others and the external conflicts that were apparent could be solved with a single confession. The novel was fast paced; after the climax, the consequences of the actions made by the characters happened immediately, which resulted in a chaos, and the resolution was left up to a restricted imagination because of the occurrences that lead up to it. This, in my opinion, was a bittersweet tearjerker; the realistic properties of characters portrayed something incredibly human as they had breakdowns and avoided seeing the truth because of the fear of losing.

message 2: by Maddie (new)

Maddie Greene | 8 comments I read this book a long time ago and enjoyed it a lot, and after reading your review I feel like it is still something I would read. Your book review is excellent and provides a very nice summary of the plot and characters that allows readers to learn enough about the book to become interested, while also not giving the whole thing away. This book may be a little young for me now but it still seems like an entertaining story with lots of potential lessons and morals to be learned. I love fiction, especially realistic fiction, and your review has convinced me once again that this is a good read.

message 3: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 8 comments I love the word "bittersweet", it such a descriptive word but at the same time you don't exactly know in what way. Just by that, this book seems like a nice sunny day novel perfect for relaxing in summer. Not to complicated while also being intriguing. By your review I can't really guess what the moral of the story is, however, there does seem to be underlying, or just outright tones of abuse and bullying which has been a prevalent topic in society for awhile. We read half of this book is seventh grade and since you finished it, it makes me want to as well. I remember this book being different from other books as there was a few events that were wild and rare to happen in real life. Nonetheless, seems like a decent book to read.

message 4: by Shivani (new)

Shivani Shah | 7 comments This was such a great review! You had such a great hook. I always have a hard time finding hooks to grab people's attention, but this was great. I actually wanted to see what else you had to say. You have such a great writing style and it shows very well in your writing. You tell us everything we need to know and leave us wanting more. I find myself very intrigued to read this book to k ow what happens. Good job!

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie Capron | 4 comments The way you described the book made me immediately concerned for the main characters, and immediately intrigued by how the story ends, and all of the mysteries and twists the books seems to have. The description leaves me hanging, with only a brief summary to get me curious. and now I want to see for myself the developments these characters go through, and how the whole story ends. and if the book is as good a read as I think it is.