Sword & Sorcery: "An earthier sort of fantasy" discussion

Brak the Barbarian (Brak the Barbarian, #1)
This topic is about Brak the Barbarian
Group Reads > (b) Brak the Barbarian

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.E., Gray Mouser (Emeritus) (new) - rated it 3 stars

S.E. Lindberg (selindberg) | 2344 comments Mod
Looking for a dose of "Clonan"?
Before the civil war caught John Jake's muse, he wrote Brak the Barbarian!
Got some nice covers from Frazetta too.

message 2: by S.wagenaar (new)

S.wagenaar | 402 comments I have The Fortunes Of Brak on my shelf. It is a collection of short stories, and I understand they are generally superior to the book length stories.

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill Hope | 9 comments I've read the series and I have to say the Brak stories are for the most part good old fashioned S&S. I wouldn't really call Brak a "Clonan" unless we're talking about maybe Arnie's portrayal--Brak in some of the stories isn't the brightest. But all in all I enjoyed them.

Richard | 758 comments I enjoyed the whole series! Read them many years ago.

Benjamin Thomas (benjaminthomas) I'm reading through the series now and like them quite a lot. Jakes has written about how he didn't want to "rip-off" Conan but rather pay homage to one of his favorite writers, REH. As Bill said, these stories are good ol' fashioned S&S.

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill Hope | 9 comments Jakes was doing what I'm doing with my Thurl the Wanderer series that I'm trying to get off the ground. Thurl the Gaelg is my homage and reaction to REH's Conan.

Richard | 758 comments Hey Bill, I went to check out your Thurl story on Amazon, but it seems the link no longer works...

Anthony | 7 comments I enjoyed the first Brak book while reading it, but then forgot most of its content shortly thereafter! I’d definitely read another one, but I have to say that among the Clonan crowd, I prefer the manic scene-shifting pace of the Thongor series, or the dopey comic-book brevity of Fox’s Kothar stuff.

message 9: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Rensch | 3 comments Just read The Demons in the Walls from 1963 Fantastic. Pretty good stuff. Surprisingly the action scene was the weakest part of the story. I also have this in an Open Road reprint, part of Brak the Barbarian. Turns out Jakes heavily revised the story post Fantastic. The revisions are all improvements.

message 10: by Bill (new)

Bill Hope | 9 comments Richard wrote: "Hey Bill, I went to check out your Thurl story on Amazon, but it seems the link no longer works..."

To save you some $ I'll link you to my inkitt version......

https://www.inkitt.com/stories/fantas...

Richard | 758 comments Thank you, Bill!

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill Hope | 9 comments I read them out of sequence chronologically but in order of original publication starting with "The Fortunes of Brak" which has the earliest stories that Jakes published of Brak....

Aaron Meyer (loptsson) | 75 comments Have read most of the Brak books and have enjoyed them quite a bit but didn't know about the Fortunes of Brak so will have to go and find that one!

message 14: by S.E., Gray Mouser (Emeritus) (new) - rated it 3 stars

S.E. Lindberg (selindberg) | 2344 comments Mod
Aaron wrote: "Have read most of the Brak books and have enjoyed them quite a bit but didn't know about the Fortunes of Brak so will have to go and find that one!"

Aaron, cool. Report back on any good fortune!

Aaron Meyer (loptsson) | 75 comments Found a copy on Ebay and snagged it up. Also found a copy of Appendix N for a fair price on Amazon so I can't wait to get them in the mail :-)

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin (klarkashton) | 110 comments My understanding is that the Fortunes of Brak stories were included as sections of the novels, except for "The Girl in the Gem."

"The Girl in the Gem" is actually one of the best of the Brak stories, I think. It used to be officially available on Scribd, but no longer.

Aaron Meyer (loptsson) | 75 comments Just finished reading The Fortunes of Brak and I found it to be pretty good. I did enjoy that it was chronological in nature so you get to see a progression in his life as he makes his way to Khurdisan.