Play Book Tag discussion

April 2018: Strong Women > The Stolen Marriage/Diane Chamberlain - 3.5 star

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9372 comments My first audio listen. Which it makes it difficult to review. I have absolutely nothing to compare it to. I think a good book can be ruined by a narrator one doesn't care for. Conversely, a book that was not so well written can be enhanced by a fantastic narrator. Plus, you have to enjoy that style of listening. I therefore have no idea how to evaluate the experience. Let me start with the story, short of spoilers of course.

The South, 1944. The setting begins in Baltimore and lands in Hickory (North Carolina?). Tess is our heroine. Thinking about this months theme of strong women, I wouldn't have described her as strong. Really more a victim of her circumstances more than anything else. But by the end, she does have an amazing journey towards strength, that shows her to be a woman of great inner resources and style. She grows through the book, and I daresay grows on you too.

One thing I noticed, Diane Chamberlain knows how to end a chapter. I loved all the final lines of each chapter. I always knew when the chapter break was, because she did that just beautifully. The book built slowly, and really didn't take off until the end, where the stars became raised a bit higher for me. Its one of these books where the main character has no idea what is going on around her and she is left in the dust. So therefore we are in the dark too. It almost doesn't matter if you guess the upcoming twists or the behind the scenes action. Its still well done. The naivete of the main character annoyed me some, even if it was right for the time. And the story? By the end, I indeed loved it. Had a lot of fun with the ending, and liked Tess a hell of a lot more by the end.

The narration. I have no idea what to say. I don't know that I liked her, and I don;t know if I didn't. It gets mixed up with the writing and maybe not liking the main character and her inner thoughts so much. Maybe the voice I've heard in my head reading is my own. I did love it when she read the other characters. Especially Henry of Hickory. Her accent for him, and for the Reverend was fabulous. She did the black women extremely well, as well, in addition to the horrible mother in law Ruth. I think I am going to try another audio. And try it for Little Fires Everywhere.

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7473 comments It will be interesting to see how all of this audiobook listening will work out for you!

message 3: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments title?

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9372 comments The real thread should have appeared by now. It was an early misfire - lol.

message 5: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments I love audio books! You'll get the hang of it. For sure the writing and the reading make or break the book. The book can be well-written but sometimes (rarely really) the narrator can ruin the story. I do have my favorite readers but I can't really list them. Feel free to go to my shelves and check out my audio book shelf! As you know, I always review all of my books.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9372 comments Funny! I just made a new shelf for audio. We’ll see if this is something that actually could possibly fit into my life. I don’t see how possibly it could. But I do have a few hours left on my project, so I’m giving it a whirl again.

message 7: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Amy, do you want me to edit the title and delete the other thread. I’m not sure if you can edit the title in the app, but as mod, I can edit others topics (threads)