UHS Honors English 9 P2 2017 discussion

Book Review- Blink

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maddie (new)

Maddie Greene | 8 comments Have you ever walked by someone or see something happen in a quick moment that causes you to form an almost instant opinion about what was just seen? I’m assuming you are saying yes, as this happens to most everyone constantly and everyday. Now, have you ever wondered why or how that response happens so quickly, or have you ever thought about how you came to that conclusion? Well, my guess is that not as many of you are going to say yes to that. It is just instinct and habit to see things and have your mind go on and think about what your eyes just saw. There is almost no need to process it because most of the time, people aren’t even truly aware they just made that decision almost immediately after seeing something. In the book Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, Malcolm Gladwell explains these natural phenomenons that occur in our brains on a daily basis with several studies and real-life examples to help show the significance of them and explain how they happen.

Most people don’t even realize how quickly they react to a situation or understand why either. Gladwell explains that in our human minds, we make both conscious and unconscious snap decisions when we see something. He provides examples of these decisions that help readers understand more about what is going on. He starts out the book with the J. Paul Getty Museum and their difficulties in obtaining a statue. It was a Greek “kouros” statue that had been found perfectly kept together. This was such a rare thing because it was so old and nothing had ever been found as nice and clean as it. The Getty museum bought it, proud to own such a unique work of art. However, many experts came in and viewed it before it went on display, and they kept getting a similar feeling of uncertainty about it. No one person ever quite knew what it was, but there was something off about the statue that they knew just wasn’t right. They told the Getty to get rid of it and get their money back because they had this bad feeling. As it turns out, the statue was fake, sculpted from many different styles and times of art. This situation was an example of the unconscious decisions people make. These experts couldn’t say why they didn’t like the statue, but as soon as they saw it they made a snap decision about it without even really realizing it. Throughout the whole book. Gladwell provides many more examples like this one that show how intelligent or minds really are. We stereotype and form these opinions from past experiences that affect how we see things in the present, almost without being conscious of it.

Blink is a book that I would personally not have chosen to read at first. However, after I started it and began to understand more about it, I became intrigued by the information Gladwell provided about how we form opinions. I now have a completely different view of myself and the world because I understand more about how we think about things, even without realizing it. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in nonfiction and who is curious about learning more about how things work. You will learn about these split second decisions that you may not have even realized existed and will be opened up to a whole new level of thinking. This book is worth a look at and I believe that you will like what you see. Gladwell does an incredible job of keeping readers engaged while they learn about something essential to everyday life: thinking.

message 2: by Breanna (new)

Breanna | 8 comments Blink was a very interesting book as I also read it for my review. However, you added a little twist to your review that I admire very much. You kept your focus on how people don't realize and just think out of the blue. Snap decisions was one of your main focuses and I liked that a lot. Gladwell uses many different scenarios that use snap decisions, but I have to say, every single thing we do in our lives is a snap decision. Everything we see, touch, smell, feel, hear, and breath etc. I believe that Gladwell would have to write a million books on the every single snap decision. When you asked those questions in the beginning, you were referring to every snap decision of any person ever, which is more than Gladwell talked about in his book. You related the whole world to this book and I appreciate that a lot. I loved this book, and his writings have inspired me to read another one of his books. With his writings especially, its important not to judge the book by its cover. It might look boring from the front, but I absolutely agree that you will like what you see if you just give it a chance. Anyway, I thought you wrote a well done review!

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 8 comments Overall your review actually made me interested in the book. I can easily relate and you immediately included me in your review as well so I feel more involved. Since I myself form opinions after just brief moments or glimpses of people I'd like to learn why and how often I do. From your review this sounds like a perfect book for just that. I'm hoping that after reading this book that I can too form a new opinion on myself, how I perceive people, and the world around me.

Matthew Spurlock | 8 comments After we had read the tipping point, i was somewhat reluctant to read malcolm gladwell. The way he explained psychology originally had it seem so set in stone and defined. However after reading your review it seems that he dives into more of the creative side of the mind that is impulsive and cant be defined by a single line or sentence. Its really intriguing to think about unintentional impulses and why we have them, and i think you explained it in a way that makes the book appealing without giving away the topics or special detail.